• @ibi_n_sane:

we also trim the tails when we are going to a show, otherwise we dont bother, but our basenjis dont have very bushy tails like some do have.
    At first I thought how stupid it was to trim tails, and sometimes I still agree with my former opinion , depending on how and for what reason a tail is trimmed.
    I do it myself, but I really have mixed feelings about it, a basenji is an ancient original dog, please let them look the way they just do, but then dogshows dont work that way anymore unfortunately and it looks more "finished / showy" when a tail has been trimmed.

I hate it when people trim the whiskers of their basenjis, these are important organs and not just thick hairs that you need to trim so the dogs face looks more silk 😠

I trim a few whiskers when we are getting ready for a show…but otherwise, no. And also refuse to cut all the whiskers, I do think they use them.

As far as being a ancient dog..yes...but humans are an ancient original species also..we still trim our hair, and some of us wear make up when we want to look extra nice.

I see what you are saying though 🙂 Here in the US, an untrimmed tail in the show ring, (particularly a bushy tail) screams 'my handler is new at this'!!!!

• I leave my Bs completely as nature intended. Bushy tails, whiskers and dew claws. The only think I do is clip there nails. It's never done me any harm in the show ring. 🙂

• @Quercus:

As far as being a ancient dog..yes…but humans are an ancient original species also..we still trim our hair, and some of us wear make up when we want to look extra nice.

I hope you know that what you are saying here makes no sense at all 😉
    the main difference is that WE do it for OURSELVES , because WE want to look extra nice, the dogs and other animals dont care, but nooo we humans want THEM to look nicer and nicer too, and therefore we trim them, and also put stupid clothes on them and sometimes even make-up yes indeed :rolleyes: so everything that has to be nicer is a HUMAN decision and has nothing to do with the animals themselves 😉
    and I certainly hope you dont compare animals with humans seriously, that is such an INSULT FOR THE ANIMALS!!! :eek:

but also, ( no effence please ! ) but the american way of showing is way much more exaggarated then here in europe, a way of culture I guess, and that is just the way it is. Look at the afghan hounds and irish setters you have there in the showring, they have nothing to do with the original breedstandard and type!! SHAME ON THE PEOPLE WHO RUINED THOSE BREEDS !!!!! and I can go on and on and on , but will not do that 😃
    It appears to me that the american way is a lot more about appereances then back here in europe, allthough a lot of people are only appearences here as well, but I guess that is human too :rolleyes:

and please dont take it personal 😉

• <>
    Clearly, you don't know me very well 😉 I am not a fan of anthropomorphism; and no, I don't compare animals with humans....because humans ARE animals 🙂
    I guess I won't take it personally that you made a gross generalization about the US' preoccupation with appearances... Wait, aren't most of the cosmetic and fashion design houses, and prestigious modeling agencies in Europe? Or were you just talking dogs?
    Come on....the topic is tail trimming on a dog...not plastic surgery....

• To follow up on this topic….it does seem that dog showing in Europe is a much more casual affair than it is in the US. And I wish, wish, wish that were the case here. There is far too much emphasis on the what the handler looks like, and the 'presentation' here in the US, and not enough on the actual dog (IMO, of course).

So, if that is what you were trying to say Ibi N Sane ...I totally agree....

• no I dont know you very well , as well as you dont know me, and that is also the problem with the internet as it is difficult to read intonations 😉

and I am talking about dogshows, and I am sure you must see what I see , and yes a lot of americans show for appearences, it is even worse then over here in europe where it is starting to get out of hands as well!!

please look you must see it, afghan hounds, irish setters etc.hairs must be longer, more and more angulations, more and more chest, the dog must have the perfect "human idea" picture while stacked, I am sorry it is the truth and a very hot topic over here in europe 😉
    I must admit that I like the golden retriever type and sheltie type more over there in the USA.
    some breeds are damaged everywehre like the english bulldog, the german shepherd and the sharpei , horrible what these breeds look nowadays just because the humans like them better this way …...

I think you know what I am trying to say, it starts with triming, where does it end? 😉
    and again, dont take it personall, when you have nothing to do with it you dont need to take it personal right? anyway it would be a nice discussion as it is obvious what most humans do to dogs just because it looks more pretty 😉 and that is going on for ages!

• @Quercus:

To follow up on this topic….it does seem that dog showing in Europe is a much more casual affair than it is in the US. And I wish, wish, wish that were the case here. There is far too much emphasis on the what the handler looks like, and the 'presentation' here in the US, and not enough on the actual dog (IMO, of course).

So, if that is what you were trying to say Ibi N Sane ...I totally agree....

yes it is 🙂 see my other post as well, our posts are crossing hahaha that is not handy as well :p
    but about the casual affair….it is getting more american here as well... unfortunately not the other way round.....:(

I am happy we cleared that out 🙂

• @ibi_n_sane:

please look you must see it, afghan hounds, irish setters etc.hairs must be longer, more and more angulations, more and more chest, the dog must have the perfect "human idea" picture while stacked, I am sorry it is the truth and a very hot topic over here in europe 😉
    I must admit that I like the golden retriever type and sheltie type more over there in the USA.
    some breeds are damaged everywehre like the english bulldog, the german shepherd and the sharpei , horrible what these breeds look nowadays just because the humans like them better this way …...

I think you know what I am trying to say, it starts with triming, where does it end? 😉

Well, Afghan hounds, Irish Setters, those are man made breeds…so I suppose that people can make them look however their fanciers agree that they want them to look. If there is disagreement among the fancy, which I am sure there is...they have to find some common ground. I do hate to see when artificial selection/human selection starts to interfere with the structural health of the dog...i.e. bulldogs, etc. Those breeders need to evaluate what they are doing, and see if the 'look' is worth having a dog that can't breath properly...obviously it doesn't seem logical.

Basenjis, as you mentioned, are a natural breed...and yes, I think our duty is to preserve, rather than improve the breed. And I think that we do a pretty good job of that, based on how similar the dogs that are being brought out of Africa look to those that are currently in the show ring.

IMO and IME...a trimmed tail ends in a trimmed tail? not everything is a slippery slope....

• @Quercus:

IMO and IME…a trimmed tail ends in a trimmed tail? not everything is a slippery slope....

thank goodness not!!
    but the hairdo of poodles was of great function also, and that went into a slippery slope, maybe innocent but you get my point 😉
    but not the trimmed tails ( I dont have a problem with that like I stated befor ) what about the preference for a very tight double curl??? how efficient is that in the bushes of africa?? when the tail cant curl out and they get stuck in the bushes ????? that can have horrible consequenses
    most of the african basenjis have a single curl or even not a curl at all but a very loose curled LIKE tail 😉 some breeders want more and more wrinkle in their basenjis…. ( that is how the problems started in sharpeis as well )
    and by recognizing only 4 colours allthough in africa there is a range of colours, the dogshowpeople have allready interferred a lot in the "modern" looks of this breed 😉
    fortunately there are always breeders that stick to the health of the breed and breed according to the breedstandard but not only to get the prettiest picture of a dog, but breed normal 😉

• @ibi_n_sane:

I hate it when people trim the whiskers of their basenjis, these are important organs and not just thick hairs that you need to trim so the dogs face looks more silk 😠

I hate that too, once a breeder asked us if we were stupid…
    I asked why and she answered "you have to trim the whiskers for a show"
    We walked away and tought by ourselfes she was the one that's stupid..
    If you look at your B, you see during the whole day, they use their whiskers....

We trim the tails before shows with a scissor that has a light curve.

• Houston

I got to add my five cents in, I agree with what has been said in the previous posts about letting the dogs be dogs. The other thing that somewhat bothers me is that The B's clearly came /come in more colors from Africa than what is considered true/acceptable color. Why is that? Like the creams and blues, etc. If we truly want to save the breed from various things like ailments, bad temperament etc, why not also make sure all colors don't disappear? Those traits aren't as in important persay, but none the less the way they are/were in the wild. just a question I have been trying to figure out.

As far as tail trimming, I did Otis' a little bit last night and I think I like his tail trimmed so you can see the definition in his curls..as far as whisker, no way..

• …trying...to...squeeze...in...here and say:D:D:D:D:D...

I agree, I hate the whiskers trimmed...and wish that we could leave the tails "au naturale" for the show ring...

I know someone that trims their basenjis' whiskers (and even the ones that he handles for other people)...I told him that and if the time ever came that he showed a dog for me I expressly prohibit him trimming the whiskers. :D;)

• @Basenjimamma:

I got to add my five cents in, I agree with what has been said in the previous posts about letting the dogs be dogs. The other thing that somewhat bothers me is that The B's clearly came /come in more colors from Africa than what is considered true/acceptable color. Why is that? Like the creams and blues, etc. If we truly want to save the breed from various things like ailments, bad temperament etc, why not also make sure all colors don't disappear? Those traits aren't as in important persay, but none the less the way they are/were in the wild. just a question I have been trying to figure out.

As far as tail trimming, I did Otis' a little bit last night and I think I like his tail trimmed so you can see the definition in his curls..as far as whisker, no way..

Where is it written that they (Creams..etc) at not acceptable? Even the first Avongara's were imported, most were Reds… granted there were a certainly different shades of red, from very pale to very dark. There are registered Trindles, Creams, etc... There is NO DQ in Basenjis. The color might not be exactly listed on a registration slip (for AKC), but they can't have every combo known? My opinion is color is not important... health and temperments and conformation are.

• @Buana:

I hate that too, once a breeder asked us if we were stupid…
    I asked why and she answered "you have to trim the whiskers for a show"
    We walked away and tought by ourselfes she was the one that's stupid..
    If you look at your B, you see during the whole day, they use their whiskers....

We trim the tails before shows with a scissor that has a light curve.

My Nakura has curly whiskers. We joke and call them her 'Wonky Wickers'. Someone even called them pubes because the curly one is black! :o

At a show a few weeks ago (where I won BIS with Chance! ;)) there was a man selling dog bedding etc. He said I should lose the whiskers. 'All whiskers must go!'

I don't know what breed he has but needless to say I never took any notice of him. Noodle will remember the conversation well. (Tyne Wear & Tees show) 🙂

• @renaultf1:

…trying...to...squeeze...in...here and say:D:D:D:D:D...

I agree, I hate the whiskers trimmed...and wish that we could leave the tails "au naturale" for the show ring...

I know someone that trims their basenjis' whiskers (and even the ones that he handles for other people)...I told him that and if the time ever came that he showed a dog for me I expressly prohibit him trimming the whiskers. :D;)

While I do not trim whiskers (I do tails which I think makes the Basenji look better and shows off the body better)… you will find that most handlers will trim whiskers on any dog they are showing....as a general course of grooming

• i actually prefer shaved whiskers, but the tail i like to leave natural. i LOVE his furry tail. Kelli wants the tail shaved and it does make his hind end look better but i just like it furry.

• @SenjiShowgirl:

i actually prefer shaved whiskers, but the tail i like to leave natural. i LOVE his furry tail. Kelli wants the tail shaved and it does make his hind end look better but i just like it furry.

LOL…. and I will agree that shaved whiskers does make for a nice appearance (as does a trimmed tail)... they use their whiskers.. so I leave them on... that said, one time Maggii stuck her face in the oven/broiler trying to steal a scallop... cinged off one side of her whiskers... so for that show season, she was shown with no whiskers....

• @tanza:

one time Maggii stuck her face in the oven/broiler trying to steal a scallop… cinged off one side of her whiskers... so for that show season, she was shown with no whiskers....

LOL…Liyah shortened a couple of whiskers this winter by hitting them against the glass on the woodstove. Ruby lost some of hers the same way. It happened when they were throwing a busy buddy around and a piece of kibble went in between the glass and the cast iron on the front of the woodstove. Good times. :D:eek::rolleyes:

• @ibi_n_sane:

no I dont know you very well , as well as you dont know me, and that is also the problem with the internet as it is difficult to read intonations 😉

and I am talking about dogshows, and I am sure you must see what I see , and yes a lot of americans show for appearences, it is even worse then over here in europe where it is starting to get out of hands as well!!

and again, dont take it personall, when you have nothing to do with it you dont need to take it personal right? anyway it would be a nice discussion as it is obvious what most humans do to dogs just because it looks more pretty 😉 and that is going on for ages!

@renaultf1:

…trying...to...squeeze...in...here and say:D:D:D:D:D...

Watch out! Some of those people will smile and nod, and when they have your B in their possesion, shave those whiskers right off 😉

• There is so much in this thread that I want to respond to. I guess I will start with the double curled tail thing. I really hate how people equate a double curl to the an inability to uncurl the tail. This is not true. I have dogs with tightly curled tails and I have one with a loose single curl. All my dogs can readily uncurl their tails and I have never had problems with them even when out hiking. I do uncurl my dogs' tails regularly as part of their handling training because so many people are drawn to those tail and seem compelled to uncurl them. My loose curled tail girl is probably the most tail sensitive of all of mine.

Next the thing about color. Though the standard only mentions four colors, as has been pointed out there are no DQs in our breed. This is one area where the US is in much better shape though than other countries. Even though there are some judges, breeders, and exhibitors with color prejudices here for the most part color is not nearly as controversial as it has been in other countries. There are finished trindle champions and many breeding programs that have used dogs with colors or markings that may not be considered to fit the standard like trindles, fula blacks, blues, and pintos. This becomes more an issue of whether a breeder is willing to look beyond the surface of a dog. As for the historic reasoning for breeding away from creams and blues, it was based on what was known at the time which was in many other breeds these colors are associated with health problems so the founders decided it would be best for the breed to breed away from those colors. Now, with new information, we know that health issues are not always related to these colors.

The bottomline, breeders need to keep the whole dog in mind, health, temperament, conformation, and performance. Each will put different amounts of weight on each category or even subcategories but that is why it is important for people looking for a dog to do their homework and really get out there and talk with several people in the breed not just 1 or 2.

Suggested Topics