• I got mine the first time from Walgreens, but then when I went back a few months later they said they didn't sell them anymore. I went to the pharmacy at Stop and Shop (grocery store) and they had a bottle. They said that if they didn't have any they could order them or me. It is about $18 for a 1000 ct bottle.

I have also found them online at amazon.com and even on ebay, but have not bought from there yet. The brand they sell is called Concord…

This is what the bottle I have looks like (URL brand): Crappy pic but you get the idea...
    attachment_p_72393_0_photo-249.jpg

• @Tayda_Lenny:

I got mine the first time from Walgreens, but then when I went back a few months later they said they didn't sell them anymore. I went to the pharmacy at Stop and Shop (grocery store) and they had a bottle. They said that if they didn't have any they could order them or me. It is about $18 for a 1000 ct bottle.

I have also found them online at amazon.com and even on ebay, but have not bought from there yet. The brand they sell is called Concord…

This is what the bottle I have looks like (URL brand): Crappy pic but you get the idea...

Thanks – our Walgreens doesn't have them either. I guess I'll check the grocery store pharmacies and see.

• I am with my third B with Fanconi. She turned 10 in December. Two of them were rescues. I also have a young rescue, 18 months old, who was tested via the DNA test, and is probably affected. He came from a BYB in Southern OH and his parents came from KY. He was sold with other Bs to an Amish commercial broker/breeder in central OH so his relatives are probably still breeding and the pups are being sold at petstores. He will probably stay with me permanently as he originally had socialization issues and I was working with him on that when I had him DNA tested. I have all my rescues DNA tested for Fanconi. It is much easier now that one only has to send in a cheek swab but if one of my Bs did come back probably affected then I would send in blood for research purposes.

My suggestion is not to buy from breeders who do not DNA test. If you do anyway, have your dog DNA tested. If you do not DNA test, start urine strip testing your dog monthly starting at 2 years of age and train your dog to take pills. I train mine using brewers yeast tablets coated with dog food. If you do not test your dog monthly, do not have a doggy door and make sure the vet is doing a urine test at the yearly visit. My first rescue with Fanconi was diagnosed soon after being rescued because the owners did not strip test and because the dog used a doggy door they did not notice the frequent peeing. Originally it was thought that he had an UTI. The dog had been to a vet right before being rescued but ironically no urine test was done. He was not always good at taking pills. I think he would have lived longer if he was.

• We currently have 2 Fanconi dogs, but have had 6 altogether. We get our bicarb from Costco; they don't have it in stock, but it only takes 1 or 2 days to get it. Here in CA it is $12.75 for 1000 of them. Note: you don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy!

Thanks to the DNA test, we hope never to have to worry about Fanconi again.

Terry

• I've gotten them at WalMart. I think it was $12.

• @kiroja:

I've gotten them at WalMart. I think it was $12.

I checked our Walmart today; they don't carry them.

• Bummer. 😞 Now that I think about it, I think my WalMart didn't have them, but they got them from a different one and had them transfered over. Might have taken a week? Did you ask if they could check into that?

• The Wal-mart here doesn't have them either. I was also told by a few places that I checked that I needed a prescription for them. BOOO….

I think online is a good option also - or Costco. I bought 2 bottles last time so I should be set for 6 months or so... its kind of amazing to think I'll go through that many!

How many bicarbs will Jazzy be taking?

• I did find the bicarb tabs at a local pharmacy – I asked about them and the pharmacist had a huge bottle behind the counter from which he had removed a few. He said he hadn't used them for the last several months, so he sold me the rest of the bottle. I'm guessing I got 800 -900 tabs.

At this time she is taking one tab 2x daily. The little turd has already caught on and is able to eat anything from around the tab and spit it out. For that one, I am just shoving it the back of her mouth and holding her mouth until she swallows it.
    For the amino and Centrum, which is 1x/week, I crush them into moist food. She is on to that though and I'm really having to stir it in well. It's amazing me how adept she is at eating canned food from around the little teeny pieces of pill, LOL.

Would have been much easier had Keoki been the one -- he eats any treat by the inhalation method and asks "what was that" after it's swallowed whole. Jazz has always been very fussy about what she'll eat -- sniffs it first, then a couple of little licks, then daintily taking it into her mouth... harder to sneak stuff into a dog like that, LOL.

Ah well, it'll be fine; we will get done what must be gotten done.
    It's only been a week and we've already noticed a change in her; she's more active and isn't spending quite as much time in her crate.

• @JazzysMom:

The little turd has already caught on and is able to eat anything from around the tab and spit it out. For that one, I am just shoving it the back of her mouth and holding her mouth until she swallows it.

Tayda does the SAME thing - drives me nuts. I've tried lots of different things - now I'm using that EZ cheese stuff that comes out of a bottle - squeeze a little on my finger, stick the pills in - pry Tayda's mouth open and wipe it on the top of her mouth. She will swallow it all about 90% of the time. I hate having to force her like that, but she will not eat ANYTHING without fully inspecting it anymore. She will eat around the crushed up pet tabs and pet cal also so I will just use the EZ cheese for those also. Strangely, the Amino fuel - she will eat on its own like a treat.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Tayda does the SAME thing - drives me nuts. I've tried lots of different things - now I'm using that EZ cheese stuff that comes out of a bottle - squeeze a little on my finger, stick the pills in - pry Tayda's mouth open and wipe it on the top of her mouth. She will swallow it all about 90% of the time. I hate having to force her like that, but she will not eat ANYTHING without fully inspecting it anymore. She will eat around the crushed up pet tabs and pet cal also so I will just use the EZ cheese for those also. Strangely, the Amino fuel - she will eat on its own like a treat.

Jazz, so far…, likes the Pet-tabs and eats those with no problem. The Pet-cal she ate willingly the first few days, now she puts it down and licks it a few times before slowly eating it. I have a feeling that may become a pill I have to crush and hide eventually.
    I never thought to try and see if she'd just eat the amino tabs. Hmmm, probably won't, but it's worth a shot.

Another "problem" -- how to keep Keoki from getting fat due to Jazzy's Fanconi. :pI mean, I can't keep giving her cheese, etc. and not give him a nibble. He can smell it and gets really excited. LOL And the canned food I have to add to her kibble now to get her to eat... so now he gets a canned/kibble mix. He is really benefiting from this situation. :rolleyes:

• Oh, thats really funny - I totally know what you mean. Lenny has gained 3 lbs since Tayda was diagnosed… He's on a diet now. I let him lick the EZ cheese of my fingers after i give it to Tayda but that's about it. He gets smaller treats fewer times a day... He is a voracious eater who also subscribes to the Inhale now, ask later, policy.

Tayda usually won't eat the Pet Cal or the Pet Tab on her own. Strange, cause I've been giving her and Lenny Pet Tabs for years and she always ate them just fine out of her food. I think all the pills just have her on high alert now. It's pretty funny to watch her with the amino fuel though - she will play bow to it and smack it around a little before eating it. What a wierdo!

• Today I had put Jazzy's morning bicarb tab in her mouth and was holding her, petting her, rubbing her throat –usually a pretty successful and stress-free way to get her to swallow her pills -- and she managed to spit the bicarb out.

Keoki, ever on the alert for anyone getting some treat and constantly fearing that he is missing out, pounced on that tablet and ate it. You could tell he didn't like it, and kept licking his lips afterward as if he was trying to get rid of something nasty. But he kept it and ate it --wasn't ABOUT to let Jazz get something he couldn't have.

What a dork. LOL

Suggested Topics