• @Nemo:

I think there are several people in the NE Ohio region on the forum maybe?

Thanks - how do you find them though? I'm not seeing how to look up members by location?

• Okay, I might not be sure about the exact location in Ohio, but Quercus is in Ohio, Kiroja is in Michigan but she might be able to help too. I've seen a few other screen names from the state but unfortunately I can't remember them off the top of my head. I'm sure they will respond.

• Go to the member list, in the far right corner is a member search. you can select location there. Haven't tried it though. I was just familiar with some of the regular posters.

• @Nemo:

Go to the member list, in the far right corner is a member search. you can select location there. Haven't tried it though. I was just familiar with some of the regular posters.

Indeed! I see - under the advanced search…thanks!

• By the way, 80% of Basenjis have umbilica herinas… and there is NO emergency to get them fixed as 99% of the time they never cause problems. We show with them, we course with them, even the bitches have puppies with umbilica hernias... Your Vet is totally off base... that that he/she is the first... happens all the time.

Also there is a Basenji breeder, who is a Vet (Tracy Leonard) in Beavercreek, Oh... maybe she could give you a referral?

• I was just gonna say that. 🙂 Contact Dr. Tracy Leonard. She's not in your area, but she is a vet and Basenji breeder near Dayton and she may know of Basenji savvy vets in your area. She probably has puppy owners near your area that could give a referral. You can get her contact info on the BCOA breeder referral page.

http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm

• Hello & welcome from Canada. Nice to have you here.

G

• @gneigum:

Hello & welcome from Canada. Nice to have you here.

G

Hi - thanks! And thank you all for your help. I will try to get a hold of Dr. Tracy Leonard on Monday. Shots & such are one thing, but knowing & understanding the breed is another, to me anyway, but then again, I'm pretty picky about everything anyway! Nemo made the point of finding a vet who at least tries to get involved - that made me feel bad because my vet did do the same thing about obtaining info for me about FS. He does care & takes the time to make sure I understand what is going on - I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing him, I just want the best for my babies! 🙂

• Hi there Holly,

I am in NW Ohio…so I don't specifically know of any basenji savy vets in that area. Contacting Dr. Tracy is a good idea. I have used Animal Clinic Northview, in North Ridgeville, OH for reproductive stuff. I have never used their "regular" vet services, but I would imagine that they are great; their reproductive staff has dealt with quite a few basenjis. If you google the name of the clinic, you can find the info. Also, if you use the bcoa breeder list, I think you can find the info for a woman named Jan Bruner..she lives in the Cleveland area and has Bs...she could probably send you in a good direction.

That all being said, I don't think you MUST have a vet familiar with Basenjis...as long he or she is willing to listen to their clients, and outside sources. My vets hadn't had any Basenji clients in a loooong time when I started there...the older vets had had bad experiences in the long ago past...but are thrilled to meet my guys, and learn more about them.

I think anyone should beware of a vet that says 'we need to get this fixed right away' when the issue isn't a problem for the dog. A vet may not agree with Basenji breeders that umbilical hernias are not a big deal...but a vet shouldn't try to convince a basenji owner to have an expensive surgery if the hernia is small, and not causing the dog any problems. I had Blondie's hernia fixed when she was a few years old, during a scheduled tooth cleaning, because she was already down.

Anyhow, feel free to contact me further if I can help.

• @tanza:

By the way, 80% of Basenjis have umbilica herinas… and there is NO emergency to get them fixed as 99% of the time they never cause problems. We show with them, we course with them, even the bitches have puppies with umbilica hernias... Your Vet is totally off base... that that he/she is the first... happens all the time.

Also there is a Basenji breeder, who is a Vet (Tracy Leonard) in Beavercreek, Oh... maybe she could give you a referral?

Our Basenji also had an umbilica hernia when he was little. Our Vet told us to just keep an eye on it but said it was pretty common. The umbilica hernia our basenji had took care of itself and the dog is completely healthy.

Like Tanza has said your Vet is off base and you are doing the right thing by seeking another Vet. We chose to use a Vet that specializes in sports medicine for dogs. I would follow the advice you have received and get a referral from a breeder or contact your local AKC club and find out if there are any other Basenji owners in that club and ask them who they use for a Vet. They should be very willing to help you.

Jason

Suggested Topics