• To MacPack's question - we are also in the Tampa Bay area. I did not know there were many Basenjis here - I get lots of "what kind of dog is she?" from people we run into. We sure love her, and I know you must love yours as well. We won't be sorry to lose certain aspects of the puppy stage, but still, she's great.

• to Ivoss and Tanza - thanks for the information - I'll try again to register for the test.

• We have a group that meets up most every Sunday at a big dog park. This past Sunday a new 'member' (whose dog Kaiser was lost in Tampa for over a week when their house was broken into) brought their 10 week old little red boy Mojo! It was fun to see 14 basenjis from age 13 1/2 to 10 weeks all playing and socializing nicely.
    We had 2 black/whites, 5 tris, 2 brindles, and 5 reds, quite a pack!

We meet at West Park around 11 am, it is north of Hillsborough, off Hesperdes, at the corner of Jean and Occident. I think if you Google West park Dog Park you will find it easily. Hope to see you there some Sunday.

Anne

• @tanza:

This is not something that your Vet does, it is a cheek swab that you do and send in. You order it from OFA, register your B on the CPP site (registration is free) and send in the cheek swab.
    Many Vets are not even aware of the DNA test for Fanconi and many Vets are not even familar with Fanconi

I have sent for the DNA Marker test from the website suggested. Shaye visited her vet yesterday,and we had a discussion concerning Fanconi, as well as the ocular problems Basenjis sometimes develop - he told me he is aware of the problem, and was glad I had ordered the test because it would have been more expensive through him - also said he was going to do some brushing up in general on the health issues, etc. concerning Basenjis, because they are few and far between in his practice. This was all very reassuring, he's a good doctor. Thank you so much, everyone, for the guidance. This is why I am here!

Shaye's Mom

• That's great… I am surprised that he would tell you the test would be more expensive? He (your Vet) would have to buy the same kit... and why would the Vet even bother to do it, when owners just order the test kit themselves since the B needs to be registered on the CPP site?

• I think I registered on the GPP site - I tried to do it twice and the second time they said she was already registered, although I've not seen anything from them or a place you can contact them - and they haven't issued any e-mail with a number or anything - still, I did order the kit from the other site, so we'll see.

• My guess is that he was saying it would be more expensive through him because he would be doing the BLOOD submission? That would require a fee from the vet for the blood draw and then expensive overnight shipping. So yes the cheek swab you can order yourself is cheaper.

• If you are registered on CPP site you should be able to login and see that your dog is registered.

• Or it would be more expensive through him because he'd need to mark up for his - or his staff's - time to coordinate. Makes sense - smart to just do it on your own.

Both our pups were rescues, but in Bongo's case he was from a shelter so we have no info at all on his pedigree and we were able to register for the test. They don't always operate really quickly, though.

Congrats on your beautiful girl! Enjoy!

Suggested Topics