• I've read on some of the forum threads here that eggs is good for the B's…

--> Is raw eggs okay or is it just the cooked ones?
    Note: I just saw this article - http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030 so now I'm confused 😕

I feed my B cooked eggs but I've always wondered about raw eggs…

Any thoughts/experience/knowledge?

• Raw eggs are great too. Even the shells. In fact my kids used to get fresh duck eggs when I lived on a farm.

• I give my dogs raw eggs, always have. They get cooked egg yolk every time I make fried eggs….. the kids are very generous with the part of the egg they don't like, LOL.

• I gotta tell ya I had to laugh when I read in that chart that sugary foods may cause Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Mellitus is NOT caused by diet in dogs or humans….nor is it controlled in humans, as the accompanying article suggests, controlled in humans by diet or insulin pills. It is only controlled via insulin shots just like in the dogs.

Poor info like that makes me not even want to continue reading the rest of the site.

• @kiroja:

Raw eggs are great too. Even the shells. In fact my kids used to get fresh duck eggs when I lived on a farm.

I read that the calcium in egg shells provides a good balance for the phosphorus in eggs. I'm just learning about raw food diets. Do you just give them the whole egg or do you crack the egg and crumble up the shells?

• If you give your dogs raw eggs, don't you worry about salmonella? Or do dogs not get that? I mean, that is why humans aren't supposed to eat raw eggs, so I just assumed the same was true for the dogs.

I'm confused too…

• No worries with salmonella. My B's eat raw chicken every day.

• @EskiLovr:

If you give your dogs raw eggs, don't you worry about salmonella? Or do dogs not get that? I mean, that is why humans aren't supposed to eat raw eggs, so I just assumed the same was true for the dogs.

I'm confused too…

Dogs are way different then humans… with a different digestive system that handles raw food.... I have never know a dog on a raw diet to have any problems with salmonella..... remember they are or were, wild at one time.. and what they caught they ate... and still will given the opportunity

• I give mine raw egg on their breakfast most days and Chance just loves scrambled eggs. I also know someone who crumbles in the shells when they make liver cake. Mine love every part of an egg, shell included.

• I believe there is a small study out that found that salmonella is actually on the shell and usually it is passed on by cracking an egg that isn't properly washed. I feed mine raw from my chickens out back and I haven't had a problem. In the raw diet, eggs are crushed in whole-shell and all.

• Houston

I too give my dogs raw eggs, and to further cloud the post, I am from Europe and there it is considered safe for humans to consume raw eggs in icecream, desserts and such. I give our dogs fresh farm raised eggs from our own coop, I would feel more comfortable giving them those than store bought eggs, but either way dogs don't get salmonella as easy as we do, their digestive system is like previously stated, made to eat food that is from questionable sources i.e hunted and gathered, not refrigerated and such.

Basnejimamma

• This is interesting. I was just reserching this question last week. There seem to be two schools of thought about this.

One school says: You can give a raw ORGANIC egg OCCASIONALLY. But continual use of raw eggs will cause the coat to become worse because it leads to a biotin deficiency. Raw egg whites contain avidin, an enzyme which ties up biotin (makes it unavailable for absorption into the body). Symptoms of biotin deficiency include dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), loss of hair, and poor growth. Stick to scrambled eggs

The other school says: It's fine, and the yolk ofsets any problems the white might cause.

I'm not sure, but have been giving our B puppies scrambled eggs for the moment.

• Really glad I checked this thread - I've always given Shaye cooked eggs because of the salmonella scare - wow - I'm sure it'll make her eat better if I can just break a whole egg in there from time to time. We have such a fear of raw anything we've never given our dog raw - except for veggies of course.

• @Shaye's:

Really glad I checked this thread - I've always given Shaye cooked eggs because of the salmonella scare - wow - I'm sure it'll make her eat better if I can just break a whole egg in there from time to time. We have such a fear of raw anything we've never given our dog raw - except for veggies of course.

Also the shells are good for them too

Suggested Topics