• I'm wondering why you posted at the bottom of my thread instead of making your own thread?

• bumping up

• bumping this up

• Hey Robyn, In reading the rules of the community - I thought bumping was only allowed once per thread? Am I misunderstanding? Let me know as I might need to bump my puppy thread up in a couple of months when they are actually on the ground.

24 FORUMS

• My last bump on this thread was two months ago on 1-31-10. If someone has a problem with it then they may contact me directly.

This animal needs a home. Hopefully there will be someone here who can assist in finding her that perfect forever home.

• I certainly do not have a problem, hope you did not take it that way. I was just clarifying rules so I know how to handle it if/when the time comes and I need to do same.

BUY VAPORIZERS

• I would like to add that I've been to Yodeldog's house on numerous occasions, and I absolutely am in love with this girl. If my current girl, Lola, weren't such a drama queen, I would take Jozie in a heartbeat. She is gorgeous, and she is very sweet with me when I'm at Yodel's house. For anybody who wants a basenji without raising a puppy from scratch, I would recommend meeting Jozie.

• Dang, hope you find her a great home.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Dang, hope you find her a great home.

Doesn't look like it. 😞

• I just sent this info to a dog-park friend with a 2-ish year old male basenji who is looking for a playmate, but a calm dog that will calm him down. She is a single woman, with the basenji and an elderly chihuahua (who stands up for herself, even at the dog park). At any rate, I think she would be a wonderful home for any basenji. Jozie sounds like a jewel.

• Thanks MacPack! I hope I hear from them soon. 🙂

• She went to visit all the BRAT puppies the other day, she may decide to adopt a pup ( I don't take anything under two years, myself), sorry. I'll keep thinking, looking for a home for her!

• sighs 😞

• Robin, would Jozie be happy as a single dog, or would you prefer that she has a playmate? When she's left at home, do your crate her, or can she roam?

• @Patty:

Robin, would Jozie be happy as a single dog, or would you prefer that she has a playmate? When she's left at home, do your crate her, or can she roam?

Hi Patty. Jozie has lived her whole life in a multi-dog household. When a dog goes from a multi-dog household to being a single dog it typically has one of two reactions; it may take the transition well, happy to finally have its own humans that it doesn't have to share or it may become fearful and distraught, sometimes leading to separation anxiety. Sometimes it may start out as fearful and move into happy as it settles into its new life. The reverse can be true also.

Things can be more complicated when there is already an existing dog in the new household. Some Basenjis are thrilled to have a new playmate and settle in fast. Other Basenjis will test each other out for dominance and things can be touchy. It takes time and management to see how this turns out.

Jozie is a highly sensitive and emotional dog. Changing households will be stressful enough for her that I do not feel she would be happy to interact with an already existing dog in a new home. On the other hand, I do feel she would love to have a male puppy as a companion. She adores my own puppies and would have been a great mother if things had been different. I would consider placing 5 1/2 month old Tug with her to the right home for a very reasonable adoption fee.

Jozie rarely gets into trouble and is not destructive. I do crate all of my dogs at night or when I am not home. I would not recommend leaving Jozie loose in a home until she has fully accepted it.

I'm sorry that I can not be more definitive in my answers. I can tell you everything about how she acts in my own home but I just can't predict how she will behave when her life is changed. There are too many variables. This is one of the reasons I do not want to ship her to a new home. If things didn't turn out she would have to come back to me.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. 🙂

• Robyn, do you still have Jozie? 🙂

• Jozie is still here and she still needs a home. I also have at least one 7 month old male puppy available too. I never did hear from your sister Patty. Did she adopt the other dog she was looking at?

• Hi Robyn, my sister adopted a stray basenji- he was from Missouri, and she named him Bacchus. He was infested with fleas and worms, and while the rescuer thought he was 18 months old, his vet thinks he's probably 6. She's had a glorious time helping him to adjust to normal life (if there is such a thing), and like I said in a different string, he is extremely smart.
    My mom and dad live in Wisconsin, and after meeting Bacchus, my mom happily admitted that she would like a dog "like that"… aka basenji. :). Do you think Jozie would do well as a one-dog home in an older human environment?

(P.S. I have 2 brothers and a sister that live within 3 miles of my mom, and they are all dog lovers too. :))

• It depends on the people. I do feel Jozie would be more comfortable with a calm home rather than a boisterous one. I would be very happy to talk to your parents about her and see if it may be a possible match.

Suggested Topics