• @bellabasenji:

Sorry to say… I got my Bella from a petstore. She was a gift from my husband for my B-day. I would not trade her for the world, but I also would not buy from petshoppes or BYB's now that I know what I know about them. I love Bella dearly and she is really a good girl, but she also has a luxating patella that I know will get worse as she ages. This would not have happened with a responsible breeder. Also, I have the decision to make about DNA testing for fanconi... I am torn between having it done and possibly knowing she will have fanconi in the future (this would tear me up inside and I would worry constantly). So, since I am not DNA testing at this time, I strip test every month. I just wish so much I had more resources BEFORE we purchased her. I wish I would have had this wonderful group of people to talk to prior to getting a puppy! Bella is my first dog and she has taught me so much about Basenjis and dogs in general. The Basenji Slaves on this forum have taught me so much about the breed and breeding issues, they have much insight and experience that I value. So IMO if you want to "rescue" a pup, then check out some young Basenjis on Petfinder or a Basenji rescue group. I am talking from the other side here and still agree with previous posts about BYBs. And I definitely do NOT think they are saying any of this to be mean. We just want what is best for you…

I second that. I too have a petstore B. I am lucky that dash has been healthy but I have learned a lot from this forum.

• @cuttiepie732:

If you guys know any tri males for a reasonable price let me know.

What do you consider reasonable? Price is subjective… and most responsible breeders try to price their pups fairly, but you have to consider what it cost them to even breed that litter...

• What is a normal cost?

• Confirmed…the numbers on the pedigree are ACA, not CKC.

• @cuttiepie732:

What is a normal cost?

Again it is different for different parts of the country. My pups are 950.00 with 100.00 refunded with proof of spay/neuter. But prices are usually higher in California… however that is about the normal price out here. I know many breeders in the Mid-West that are anywhere from 650.00 to 850.00... and that to me is pretty reasonable. Remember, you get what you pay for... and in the end spend less from a responsible breeder....

All that said usually by now breeders have placed or have reservations for their pups. Usually responsible breeders do not even bred without a reservation list before breeding, instead of waiting till after the pups to advertise for homes. Look at it this way, responsible breeder do NOT let people pick a pup.. they take into consideration what someone would like, but in the end they match the puppy with the family. No exceptions. Remember the breeder has raised the litter therefore know the temperaments of the pups and have watch them since birth... they have gotten to know the homes/family where a pup is wanted... then they match the best fit of puppy to family.

• @YodelDogs:

Confirmed…the numbers on the pedigree are ACA, not CKC.

So is that better? Also if found a breeder named tammie wade. She is selling b's for 400 to 500, fanconi tested.

• @cuttiepie732:

So is that better?

No.

Also if found a breeder named tammie wade. She is selling b's for 400 to 500, fanconi tested.

Your best bet to find a responsible, ethical breeder is through the Basenji Club Of America.

The BCOA breeder's list

• Bella,

Well said, I am in the same position as you with a petstore dog that I did not know better about until after I got her. Now I would never buy from anything but a reputible responsible breeder. I too wish I would have had this forum before we got Zahra.

@bellabasenji:

Sorry to say… I got my Bella from a petstore. She was a gift from my husband for my B-day. I would not trade her for the world, but I also would not buy from petshoppes or BYB's now that I know what I know about them. I love Bella dearly and she is really a good girl, but she also has a luxating patella that I know will get worse as she ages. This would not have happened with a responsible breeder. Also, I have the decision to make about DNA testing for fanconi... I am torn between having it done and possibly knowing she will have fanconi in the future (this would tear me up inside and I would worry constantly). So, since I am not DNA testing at this time, I strip test every month. I just wish so much I had more resources BEFORE we purchased her. I wish I would have had this wonderful group of people to talk to prior to getting a puppy! Bella is my first dog and she has taught me so much about Basenjis and dogs in general. The Basenji Slaves on this forum have taught me so much about the breed and breeding issues, they have much insight and experience that I value. So IMO if you want to "rescue" a pup, then check out some young Basenjis on Petfinder or a Basenji rescue group. I am talking from the other side here and still agree with previous posts about BYBs. And I definitely do NOT think they are saying any of this to be mean. We just want what is best for you…

• No, ACA is not better. And yes, that is where Bella's father is registered! WL's Alex (tri-color) is her SIRE. Is this pup she is looking at from one of the WL lines? If so, then I know the luxating patella is in the line, and rumor has it… so is fanconi.:( Bella's mother is KKDK Jammin Jo (red & white).

• Oh, and BTW my baby cost $900.00 as well. Even though she was pet store… they jack the prices up because they think the "puppy bug" will "infect people who see the little cuties!!!:mad: So I get a dog who has a sketchy background and health history and unfortunately supported the puppy mill and BYB industry.:mad::mad::mad: I wish I had known then... But I do love her dearly.

• The puppy's parents are called Poker and Dandee so this looks like a repeat of a previous breeding.

Posted with Cuttiepie's permission:

Notations: Texas Wallering Poker is not regsitered with the AKC but all of his ancestrors are. Texas Wallering Poker, his parents, and his grandparents are all registered with ACA. Sandy Dandee is registered with ACA. Her parents are not registered. Her grandparents are unknown.

• Comparison of Bella's pedigree:

with Poker's pedigree:

KKDK Wallering Wally and KKDK Jammin Jo are siblings. WL's Aubrey and WL's Ashley are siblings.

• @cuttiepie732:

So is that better? Also if found a breeder named tammie wade. She is selling b's for 400 to 500, fanconi tested.

That would be Top Dog Basenjis, Bloodhounds, Coon Hounds… another pure for profit breeder. Add to that if you read her web site, she charges $100 if you want your puppy tested, interesting that the test only costs $65.00. I would not consider her a responsible breeder either....

• Any idea where all these WL lines came from. I know Bella's father may have been sold at an auction. The KKDK line I didn't know too much of until just now… Funny thing is, I just got word of someone in my state of WV breeding a WL dog. His name is WL's Todd. Bella's breeders were in Oklahoma, quite a distance!!!

• Well Hestekin is a well know pure for profit breeder of many breeds, that sells to anyone with no spay/neuter contracts…. and without health testing. And talk about over price for the puppies... wowzer.... hard to believe anyone would pay their prices... of course by the time they are 4 to 6 months old and no longer cute babies.. the price is seriously reduced....

In that pedigree, Jack IV is by Dallers Zoo-Loo goes back to a heavy Fanconi line on the top side

• @tanza:

Well Hestekin is a well know pure for profit breeder of many breeds, that sells to anyone with no spay/neuter contracts…. and without health testing..... In that pedigree, Jack IV is by Dallers Zoo-Loo goes back to a heavy Fanconi line on the top side

You are referring to the KKDK side, then…

• @bellabasenji:

Any idea where all these WL lines came from. I know Bella's father may have been sold at an auction. The KKDK line I didn't know too much of until just now… Funny thing is, I just got word of someone in my state of WV breeding a WL dog. His name is WL's Todd. Bella's breeders were in Oklahoma, quite a distance!!!

WL's Todd is sired by Hestekin Hills Dynamite Tom, out of WL's Taylor D and that bitch on the Dam's side goes back to a Fanconi Affected dog by the name of Hofer Zipper. Hofer was known puppy mill now out of business with heavy Fanconi and Hip problems

• Its amazing what info is on the net now.
    Glad you share this with everyone.

• So for Hestekin both the WL and KKDK are his main Basenji lines… Where is Hestekin located???

• @bellabasenji:

Any idea where all these WL lines came from. I know Bella's father may have been sold at an auction.

The very simplistic answer is that the WL dogs are coming out of puppymills the reason why they are spread so far across the country is because they are being sold in Pet Stores and at auctions. There are so many because mills and BYBs will breed a bitch every heat cycle in order to make their money. Since these dogs are often living with multiple breeds, in close quarters the basenji girls will cycle more than once a year and be bred every time to churn out puppies irregardless of the toll it takes on them physically.

It is even more sickening to see people then post on websites like PuppyFind that they "saved" these dogs from horrible conditions only to continue to breed them and further tax their over stressed bodies.

Suggested Topics