New about to Get a Basenji Puppy of my Own

• Yeah I thank you guys so much for everything you have done.

• Tanza just wondering what is the name of the breeder that is having three litters?

• Candyce Witte in Caldwell, Tx, her ads say that she has 3 litters to choose from with Black & Whites, Reds, Tris and that they are ACA registered also under the name of Hilltop Meadows and has … Shelties, Chinese Crested puppies for sale. all I did was a google search for Caldwell Tx... she advertises on nextdaypet.com, puppyfind.com plus a number of others.

• Oh crap. That's who I am buying my pup from, but I have talked to her a lot, and such… I am meeting her and what not when I pick him up.

• @cuttiepie732:

I did ask her, and she said recently she has just tested the parents with the strips, because when she tried to they were no longer taking new testies, but she promised me as soon as she does I will be notified. Also if I have to I will get him tested. He also has a health gaurantee too. I also asked her about the parents health, and what not. He also has his dewclaws removed.

The part about "not" taking new tests is false. The only time they stopped for a short time was December 2007 to March 2008 and that was to work on the direct test. They resumed the testing in April and anyone that had sent in blood during December/March time was done in April. And now it is done via cheek swab.

• I already put a deposit on him, so there's nothing I can do. I am going to get him tested, and I believe she is new to breeding Basenji's. I will do the Fanconi test if I have to. She also has a health guarantee too, but she had a reasonable price, and I had to take it.

• @cuttiepie732:

Oh crap. That's who I am buying my pup from, but I have talked to her a lot, and such… I am meeting her and what not when I pick him up.

In the end, it is everyones own choice where they get a puppy… but health testing is important. Here is a link that is a suggested list of question to find a responsible breeder from the Basenji Club of America Parent Club and responses: http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.htm

If/when you go you should carefully look at how they are raised, is it in the home or in a kennel? It is really difficult IMO to properly raise a litter of Basenjis and give them proper socialization in a kennel situation, especially with 3 other litters, not to mention two other breeds.

• She said that I can ask for references too. Also I looked at BCOA, and either their were already sold, or too much. 😞 Alot of things have happened in my life recently, and I need a companion. She also told me that I am going to recieve all of his health records. Thanks for giving me advice.

• Re allergies.
    If you do get this puppy, and your mom has a reaction, she can get shots to help her body become less reactive.
    That is what I did when I got my cats.

Re fanconis.
    I so hope your new pup is just a carrier and not afflicted.
    I had a fanconis b and its tough to see the dogs go through that.
    That is why we all support breeders who do this testing.

We will be here to help you..whatever the outcome.

• @cuttiepie732:

I already put a deposit on him, so there's nothing I can do. I am going to get him tested, and I believe she is new to breeding Basenji's. I will do the Fanconi test if I have to. She also has a health guarantee too, but she had a reasonable price, and I had to take it.

You might want to have her test the pup now, before you go. It is done with a cheek swab, cost is 65.00 (and she should pay for it, IMO)… And about the deposit, she really did not represent honestly... so if you told her that, she should refund it. Again.. that is just in my opinion. There are breeders all around you in Ohio, if you visit http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm look for one near you and go visit. Talk to them about the breed (and also would give a chance to see if your Mom has a problem will being allergic to them)…. then compare to the breeder you have been talking to... As far as price... remember raising a litter responsibility, health testing, etc cost lots of money. I don't know of any responsible breeder that makes or even looks to make money breeding. We breed to better the breed.... and what is not kept for our own showing/breeding are placed as loving pets, which is the most important thing. If we break even.. we are happy.

• If funds are a factor in your getting a basenji, you might want to consider a rescue basenji.

• @cuttiepie732:

She said that I can ask for references too. Also I looked at BCOA, and either their were already sold, or too much. 😞 Alot of things have happened in my life recently, and I need a companion. She also told me that I am going to recieve all of his health records. Thanks for giving me advice.

Please listen to Tanza.. I believe you can 'save' money by paying a bit more for a pup from a responsible breeder. I understand you need a companion, but please make sure he will have a long and healthy life..

• @cuttiepie732:

She said that I can ask for references too. Also I looked at BCOA, and either their were already sold, or too much. 😞 Alot of things have happened in my life recently, and I need a companion. She also told me that I am going to recieve all of his health records. Thanks for giving me advice.

And have you considered a rescue instead of a pup? You would have to have them DNA for Fanconi, but that might be an option too….

• Also, while you say the price was reasonable are you including the cost of flying to pick him up? Airfare, hotel, extra charge to carry on the pup? Wouldn't all that add up to a price of a pup from a responsible breeder?

• I have looked at the breeder directory, and all the ones in Ohio I believe don't have any puppies available. Do you guys know any that are? I just emailed her and asked her for the fanconi test. But guys please don't be mad at me if you are. I really do want a puppy, and my mom agress that I should raise one till they are adults. I do take all of your advice in a huge amount of consideration.

• We are just going to fly there and back. I also checked the price to have him on the plane with me.

• No one is mad at you… just trying to give you information and make sure that you really think about all the possible things that other breeders take into consideration before breeding. All the health testing that is done before hand and why it is so important.. especially socialization from birth till they go to their new forever homes. You know the reason that it is harder to get a puppy from a responsible breeder is that we have reservations before we breed, so most times the litter is spoken for before they have ever been conceived...
    And also if your Mom has Allergies, should you really visit with some Basenjis locally before bringing a pup home? Is your breeder willing to take back the pup if it turns out that it is a health problem with allergies? Responsible breeders will take back any pup/any age for its entire lifetime, it is in our contracts.

• @cuttiepie732:

I have looked at the breeder directory, and all the ones in Ohio I believe don't have any puppies available. Do you guys know any that are? I just emailed her and asked her for the fanconi test. But guys please don't be mad at me if you are. I really do want a puppy, and my mom agress that I should raise one till they are adults. I do take all of your advice in a huge amount of consideration.

🙂 I'm not mad.
    I do think you shouldn't buy just any puppy because you want one now.. Please take you're time, it's a big commitment.. You are looking for a companion! More reason to pick one that's just PERFECT! 🙂 In looks, health etc.. He/she will be with you for 15 years to come!

I also think you can better 'spent' your money at a responsible breeder, than financially support a ..less responsible.. breeder..

And if I were you.. I wouldn't go to the pups to take a look.. Because then you're sold.. they will probably look too cute..

I waited more than a year for my pup.. and I had to travel more than 28 hours to get him.. But he was/is totally worth it..

• If your going to visit a local basenji, you can find out if your mom is going to have allergy issues.
    This is how you do it.
    You have your mom take one of her t-shirts and rub it all over the basenji she is meeting.
    Put it in a plastic bag and then, at bedtime, have her put it under her pillow.
    If she wakes up with issues, then she will be reactive to the basenji pup as well.

Also, we are really trying to help you here.
    Getting a pup, falling in love just to lose it to this awful fanconis is a heartbreak I would so try to spare you.
    Its awful when you lose a dog after 15 + yrs…to lose one is a shorter period of time, when you didn't need to, well, it can break your heart.

• Ok good. lol I have sent her an email asking for the fanconi test, and she said she will. How long does it take for the results to come back? I still have a couple weeks to decide. To be honest with you I'm already sold on him 😞

Suggested Topics