• @janebond007:

so you think i should not buy from her? i already paid her an deposit….or should i get him and take him in to the vets for the test?

A vet can not do a Fanconi test. It is a Cheek Swab done by the U of Mo. Here is the link to learn about it www.basenjihealth.org

And as pointed out in the other post, IMO, since the person did not test before breeding, she should give you your deposit back since she can not show proof that DNA test for Fanconi was done. Or you could request that the test be done "before" you get the pup. However, if it were me, I would look for a responsible breeder even if it means you have to wait for a pup and not get one now. In the end, the quality (health, temperament, conformation) of the pup you get is what is important..

• I agree with Pat.
    We are just trying to keep you from the heartbreak of having and loving and losing a fanconis dog.
    I don't want anyone to go through that.

• Also remember, according to what I have seen, these puppies are not American Kennel Club registered, but a registery that many puppy mills and Back Yard Breeders started because they didn't want to have to pay for the DNA parentage test that AKC requires for frequent breedings of dogs and bitches. AKC is really the only truly reconized registery in the US.

• thanks for all the concern. I emailed Candyce and she said she has ordered the tests and will tell me the results before she ships the dog out to me.

• @janebond007:

thanks for all the concern. I emailed Candyce and she said she has ordered the tests and will tell me the results before she ships the dog out to me.

The results are publicly published at www.offa.org. And she will get an email from OFA with the results. If I were you, I would require that she forwards the email to you. But that is just me…

• You might want to check out this site.
    They are in Ca and these b's need homes.
    The Medfly Brigade Basenji Rescue http://www.basenjirescue.com
    for more dogs.

• Hi are the puppies really that much of a handful? Like hardwork?

• @janebond007:

Hi are the puppies really that much of a handful? Like hardwork?

Yes…. if you are talking about raising a litter, it is dedication to being with those pups as much as possible from birth, introducing them to things like different noises, people, children, potty training, playing nice (as in curbing the mouthing/biting since this is how dogs communicate), early things like leave it if they are chewing on something that they should not be, also I don't send puppies home till they are at least 10 wks as I don't feel they are mentally ready before then (there are exceptions if someone already has a dog/basenji). They learn so much from their Mom's and other littermates especially regarding "soft mouthing".

If you are talking about getting a puppy, then even more hard work and dedication, regardless of what breed. Potty training, crate training, walk on a leash, socialization... it is not like you just bring a puppy home and they don't need any training/care. Remember when you get your puppy, you have uprooted him/her from its pack. You are now its pack. The puppy must learn a whole new set of rules, manners, bounderies. It is a 24/7 project, just like a baby would be... It takes time and patience to get you puppy potty trained.. and when they have an accident.. it is your fault, not theirs.... same if they are chewing something they should not.. it is your fault for not watching them.. as they don't know any better....

But what you get in return is a well socialized, well mannered (ok well as much as a Basenji can be..ggg) happy well adjusted loving companion that you will have for 15 to 17 yrs...

• Plus puppies can't hold their waste for the night, so plan to be sleep deprived.
    very much like having a new baby.

• Thanks for the info. What I meant was hardwork in comparison to any other breed of dog…I know puppies need training and potty training and love and leash training along with supervision and the necessary obedience but was curious of how much more hardwork it would be for a basenji apposed to another dog puppy...

• @janebond007:

Thanks for the info. What I meant was hardwork in comparison to any other breed of dog…I know puppies need training and potty training and love and leash training along with supervision and the necessary obedience but was curious of how much more hardwork it would be for a basenji apposed to another dog puppy...

All puppies regardless of the breed are hardwork, IMO… A Basenji maybe a little more because they are a "thinking breed" as are most sighthounds and terriers... and IMO the better they are raised from birth, the easier the transition is to a new home.

• IMO b's are harder to raise properly, because they are a smart breed than most.
    So, take more work.

• @tanza:

…I don't send puppies home till they are at least 10 wks as I don't feel they are mentally ready before then (there are exceptions if someone already has a dog/basenji). They learn so much from their Mom's and other littermates especially regarding "soft mouthing".

Hey Pat, can you elaborate on what happens in puppy socialization, learning, etc. between 8 and 10 and why it is better to wait to 10 weeks. I've heard quite a few stories of pet people trying to get responsible breeders to release a pup to them at 8 weeks. Also, when you say, an exception can be made if there is another dog in the house…is that because that other dog will still keep the manners training up with the pup that the mother or siblings would do. Just curious.

• @renaultf1:

Hey Pat, can you elaborate on what happens in puppy socialization, learning, etc. between 8 and 10 and why it is better to wait to 10 weeks. I've heard quite a few stories of pet people trying to get responsible breeders to release a pup to them at 8 weeks. Also, when you say, an exception can be made if there is another dog in the house…is that because that other dog will still keep the manners training up with the pup that the mother or siblings would do. Just curious.

Well, I can try… and this is just my personal opinion. As far as the exceptions, yes you are totally correct. The other dog will help with the training and manners (and believe me..it is a blessing with those little "needle" teeth of pups). Also many times the pup will follow the other dog, so even things like house training and crate training are easier. And if the humans have a Basenji already that they got as a puppy they "know" the ropes...

As far as the 10wk window, first I don't do the first set of shots till 9wks, I also to eye exams and that is between 8 and 9 wks. In the litters that I have raised, I believe that the true personality of a B pup really develops between 8 and 10 wks. It makes it much easier to be able to decided what pup would go to what home (as I do not let people just choose but try and place the best pup in the home that suits that pups temperament). I believe that at at 8wks a B puppy just has not developed socially enough to remove from the pack situation... they are just at that age figuring out what is going on around them for longer periods of time, as opposed to being sleeping little lumps... that sometimes get up and move around. They play more, they develope a pecking order within the litter, they continue to learn social skills from their litter mates... and as the breeder you can keep introducing new things that go on every day in the house...

And believe me... it would be much easier to "send" them to their new homes at 8wks for breeders... by the time that you have 8 wks olds, you think that if you had a litter of 6, you have 66 puppies!..ggg...

• Great info Pat…thx.

• Should I ask the breeder to hold off on sending the dog to me till 10 weeks old….she apparently breeds her own dogs and is not a kennel breeder

• @janebond007:

Should I ask the breeder to hold off on sending the dog to me till 10 weeks old….she apparently breeds her own dogs and is not a kennel breeder

She breeds her own because it is cheap to have the sire and dam.. they are not bred because she is working to improve the breed.

Sorry, but she is what many responsible breeders call a "for profit" breeder, she breeds to make money, period. She does not raise the litter(s) in her house… they are in a kennel situation.. quite different the raising the litter in the house and making that litter part of every day things that go on. She most likely does shots at 7 wks and I am pretty certain that there are no eye exams...

If you get a pup from this breeder, I would venture to guess, she has already removed the pups from their Mother to dry her up and not have to feed her as much.. so the only benefit would be that he/she is with her litter mates... and since she places at 8 wks, could be that before your pup was shipped they might be totally the only pup... Again I will stress that shipping a pup is very stressful.. and you might want to consider picking her/him up... If a pup is not used to being in a crate and by themselves... being put in on, driven to an airport, stuff in the belly of a plane... can be pretty scary for a baby puppy.. Again.. IMO...

And I know these are harsh statments, but they are my opinion... and the truth is that happens with many people that breed for profit.

• I understand….all I know is someone else I spoke with who bought from her too said her dog is great and she actually went to the breeders house and saw the situation and her dog is a year old now and is doing great. I can ask further questions to the breeder though

• @janebond007:

I understand….all I know is someone else I spoke with who bought from her too said her dog is great and she actually went to the breeders house and saw the situation and her dog is a year old now and is doing great. I can ask further questions to the breeder though

As I have said, it is everyones personal decision on where to get a puppy… and that is great that the pup is doing well.. hope that it will continue (hopefully you will pass on the information about DNA testing for Fanconi to them). In the end, responsible breeders can not support a breeder like this.... so what a responsible breeder does in raising a litter doesn't fall across the board to other breeders that do not have the same practice. You really are on your own...
    Let me also point out.. that while they may have gone to the home.. who is to say that the pups were not just brought in at that time?... If there are kennels that most likely they spend 90% of their time in there... not in the home. Being realistic, if she is raising 3 different breeds of dogs, how could she possibility give all those pups the time and attention they need? Even if all she has at this time is the 3 Basenji litters... how could you give that many pups the attention they need? And still care/feed/interact with all the the other adult dogs that she must have?

• Pat, all you can do is share info and let folks make their own choices.
    We all try to help all we can, but in the end, folks will do what they want and live with the decision.
    Hugs for all the work you have shared here.

Suggested Topics