• I adopted my dog in August and did not know what she was until just a couple of weeks ago. She is a great dog…except for the door bolting and not coming back. I'm afraid she will get hit or stolen. She is about 9 months old. She loves my boys and my golden retriever but will not come back when she gets out. HELP!

• This is characteristic of Basenji's. Mine grew out of it. She knows her limits now… but we had some close calls. You've just to make sure she's secured before even thinking about opening the door. 🙂

Now post some pics!! lol 😉

• I tried to upload some pics but it gave me an error message. Any suggestions? Thanks for the reply…I hope she grows out of it. We are having to "train" our kids to be better when going in and out. My husband is tired of hiking after her that's for sure.

• I'd upload my pics to photobucket and then paste them in here.

My little girl used to stop long enough to acknowledge she heard us call for her– then get that smile and haul off. It'd make us so mad!! You have to really be careful.

• We have the same problem, too. Definitely a 'Senji personality trait!!! This is the reason I rarely remove her collar with the ID tags… I am so afraid we won't catch her one day. The funny thing is if she is with her friends (pack), a golden retriever and weinmeraner just up the street, she will not run away. I am guessing the weinmeraner is the Alpha and won't let her. There are some funny posts here on the forum about ideas about how to trick the basenji to come back to you. I will try to find them for you... But be careful, many a basenji has been hit by a car trying to escape the yard or front door.:(

• Welcome Spurs1!

You can email admin@basenjiforums.com and we will gladly help you out with uploading your photos.

• Here is a couple of threads about trying to catch an escaped basenji: http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=3184&highlight=loose

It's funny what might inspire a basenji to come back… getting down on all fours and acting like you are puking was once mentioned here on the forums, as well as picking up a stick and "baby talking" to it.

• Ah-ha, I finally found the post about baby talking to the stick…

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=899&highlight=baby+talking

P.S. I can't wait to see pictures either!!

• Please check this thread: Basenji Escape Prevention

• Your dog is pretty young so I would work a lot on training (both your dog and the kids).

For example - the patio door to my yard is used also when we go for walks and the side door is used only when we go for rides. Even though both doors lead to the driveway dogs learn to go in certain directions when exiting certain doors. Also when we go for walks, we always start out in the same direction - even when mine has escaped (and it will happen) they've headed out on our walking route making it somewhat easier to go after thim. I also train my dogs to respond to a special whistle and get a special treat (used only with the whistle) and that has helped in many a situation as well. It's not perfect though - if he's chasing a rabbit for example (and basenjis have strong hunting instincts) nothing calls him back.
    I would also make sure you have your dog chipped, especially if he doesn't wear a collar all the time (mine don't while in the house).
    Basenji's have different personalities than other dogs and you have to learn to deal with them sometimes differently than other breed. There are lots of other tips on the forum you might find useful as well. Good luck!

• Bella is micro-chipped, but my fear is that who finds her doesn't think about the fact she may be chipped. Also, not all vets/shelters have ALL the various chip scanners…

• @bellabasenji:

Bella is micro-chipped, but my fear is that who finds her doesn't think about the fact she may be chipped. Also, not all vets/shelters have ALL the various chip scanners…

I believe that they can at least tell a chip is there. My beagle had a different kind of chip that my current vet couldn't read like their own chips, but it did give them the manufacturer and a number which could be used to help track it down. Unfortunately, my beagle's chip had migrated down his back so if they were looking in the usual place my vet wouldn't have known it was there. Supposedly, chips don't migrate like that anymore. Nemo's has stayed in relatively the same place.

Spurs1, if you don't have a chip and and are planning to get one, make sure and register the chip. I've heard a number of stories where people have not and the lost dog ends up being adopted out because the owner cannot be identified.

• Yes, absolutely register the chip. It makes no sense otherwise (think about it)! And most vets and shelters and even police offices look for chips, whether they can read them or not. They can find ways to track the chip.

• It is ASTOUNDING to me that chips are not mandatory in the US, how is that even possible this day and age? its such a simple procedure. Every dog in Switzerland is required by law to have one… I believe most of the EU is the same.

• my youngest basenji is chipped, but it's moved so much that if she were picked up and scanned, there's a high probability that it wouldn't show up. 😞

I asked my vet's office to scan it. the vet tech didn't see it; the vet tried and didn't see it. it showed up when i asked them to scan behind her right elbow (where I thought i felt it) - sure enough it showed up there.

• Nowadays most people do think to look for a chip. I know that around here it is common practice to scan for a chip and most shelters have universal readers that can read the most common chip types, Avid and Home Again, and indicate the presence of other chips. As for why it is not mandatory, laws to make microchipping have been fought on the basis of invasion of privacy and too much big brother in your business.

For those who are getting microchips, please register them. Shelters really do try hard to find owners and at least the microchips are linked back to the implanter so even unregistered the shelter can usually find the vet that implanted them. Most of the dogs at our shelter who go unclaimed are ones that arrive with no ID of any sort.

• @agilebasenji:

my youngest basenji is chipped, but it's moved so much that if she were picked up and scanned, there's a high probability that it wouldn't show up. 😞

At my local shelter they scan the entire dog because of the possibility of chip migration but I don't know that it is common practice. My mom's Levi has a chip that has migrated also. What type chip is Zest's? Levi's is an Avid chip.

• @Schouiffy:

It is ASTOUNDING to me that chips are not mandatory in the US, how is that even possible this day and age? its such a simple procedure. Every dog in Switzerland is required by law to have one… I believe most of the EU is the same.

Due to the fact that many chips migrated and/or were not read by all scanners, many people refused to use them. Most responsible breeders would tattoo their dogs with their AKC registration number. My pups are now chipped before they leave… and then also tattooed when we can find someone that is good at it. I have seen some pretty horrible tattoo's over the years....

• My B, Sahara, is microchipped as well, but on her collar tag I had under her address the word, REWARD in large letters. I think this would help if I ever lost her.

• I have had both a Home Again and an Avid chip migrate on two different pups over the last couple years. Two different litters and two different vets doing the implant. I always send my babies home with chips in them, but I also tattoo my own personal dogs. I use my CKC tattoo series, since they don't accept the chips I use for registration.

Suggested Topics