• should I have my vet run should we get "our" B mix? I'm so new to this and would like to have an idea of what I should ask her to run, or what ones should be run. The B that we are looking at is 2 1/2. Supposedly, he's had DHLP, Parvo, Rabies, Corona(huh??), and Bordatella. What is Corona and what else should be done?

• I would think BRAT would do all the nessasary test before they adopt…you might read the section about FANCONI here in forums its the only thing i know of that should be tested here is a insert from a post on it... hope this helps...

Fanconi Testing

Yes, yes, even though she is a mix, test her monthly!

It is a simple test; all you do is get the urine glucose test strips. I use Diastix by Bayer, available at WalMart. Then catch a small amount of urine; with girl dogs I will just slide a clean paper bowl under them as they start to go or use a soup ladle, dip the test strip in the urine and see if it changes color within 30 seconds. No change, no worry. If it does change, have your vet run a full blood panel to check for glucose in the blood. If blood glucose is normal or below, the odds are your dog has Fanconi. If blood glucose is elevated, something else is going on; possibly diabetes or Cushing's.

There is no cure for Fanconi, but there is a treatment protocol which has been very effective in managing the syndrome. Many dogs with Fanconi live long active lives, even lure coursing and other sports with the protocol.

Every single Basenji line has Fanconi somewhere. Remember, we started with an extremely small gene pool. Possibly some of the new African imports could be Fanconi free, but virtually all of them were bred to American stock, so there's no guarantees.

Research is ongoing; and it is possible that there may be a Fanconi test within the next year or two. All of us that love this breed are thinking BIG positive hopes!

• another vac I didn't see on your list is Lyme. Ask your vet about it IF tics are prevelant in your area. where I live, ALOT of dogs are coming down with Lyme disease (spread by deer tics), so I didn't even think twice about getting my dog the vaccine. although we keep him on a flea & tic preventative, the vaccine is another added precaution. like I said though, only if tics are an issue in your area.

• @jessi76:

another vac I didn't see on your list is Lyme. Ask your vet about it IF tics are prevelant in your area. where I live, ALOT of dogs are coming down with Lyme disease (spread by deer tics), so I didn't even think twice about getting my dog the vaccine. although we keep him on a flea & tic preventative, the vaccine is another added precaution. like I said though, only if tics are an issue in your area.

No, they don't seem to be a big deal here, the worst "pest" we have aside from fleas are chiggers or you may know of them as sand fleas. Thanks for you help.

Suggested Topics