• I am thinking about getting a playmate for Sahara. Sahara needs someone to play with, and I am considering another Basenji puppy. How many of you with more than one Basenji love having 2 or more. How does your B get along with the new one, and when you first get another B is it hard to train the 2nd one? Is it crazy for awhile in the house with alot of rough housing, and 1st Basenji getting along with the 2nd? I just can't decide, I want another one, but then I want to make sure I can handle 2, and I know it will be expensive boarding 2, and paying for premium food for 2. Any input would help me make up my mind, plus Sahara is probably affected with Fanconi and I want to make sure she has the best care when she does develop the disease. Help!!!!!!!:eek:

• Nicky really needed a companion. He was really unhappy as an only dog. Though there are still times at almost 11 years old that I think he misses having all my attention to himself, he loves his housemates. When we first got Rally, he took one look at her and gave me and her a look that clearly said, "Mom, you made a mistake, that thing is the wrong color, take her back!" They went for a walk together around the block, and as soon as she crossed the threshold behind him he seemed to know she was there for good. Nicky adjusted pretty quickly to having her in the house. The rough housing has never been a problem for me and it helps them work off some of that boundless energy. As for training, you do need to make time for each to have individual training time but the nice thing is that usually the older one teaches the younger one some of the house ground rules.

I would recommend contacting a breeder and seeing if you can visit and see how multiples interact. Suddanly Basenjis is inNorth Carolina, http://www.carolinabasenjis.com/

• Charie,

You know I don't have two B's but I have a B and a Puggle and life is so much better with two furkids, they have each other to keep company, play with and they have each other to plot against me with.

I am so excited to hear you are seriously considering getting another!

• I do think 2 b's are better than one.
    I suggest you get a male as you have a female…and have the dogs meet someplace away from your home.
    There are lots of suggestions to help a dog adjust to the home and your dog, but mostly, you need to find a dog who IMO is close to the age of your dog and your dog likes.

• I agree with Sharron! I hope never to have just one, I love that they keep each other company and seem to supply something for each other that a lowly human cannot. Yes, food and vet bills are doubled, but often boarding places give a discount for the second dog if they can be in a big kennel run together, or you may find that a pet sitter works better for 2. I agree, a male will probably be the easiest fit. Personally, I love multiple basenjis, but it is a personal decision based on your dog (is she social?) and your situation. Good luck.

• To me, watching 2 b's do the basenji 500 around the room, snuggle up together and then decide to clean each other ears…well, priceless.
    MacPac is right, 2 are better than one.
    as most of us have to work outside the home they keep each other company until we get home...then all sort of "stuff" happens.
    grin.

• My situation was basically the same a Lisa described. Ruby definitely needed another b friend. She was a retired show dog so never an only dog until she came to my house. She had some separation anxiety issues as a result. Brando (another show dog retiree) joined us in the spring and it was the best thing I ever did. Ruby's breeder picked Brando as the match for Ruby, based on Ruby's temperament and energy level. He really has been the perfect match and there have only been 2 squabbles that I can think of that I had to break up, otherwise, they have a blast. I think the true sign of acceptance on Ruby's part has been that she will curl up with him now more than she did when he first came. She always played with him but she kept her independence when it came to resting.

I plan on adding at least one more b (a puppy to show) and know that I will once again look to a breeder for guidance because they know their puppies and dogs best and how they will fit in the home.

Please pick a responsible breeder if you add a pup and you will not only end up with a health tested, well socialized pup but you will have a great resource in finding the best match and help when you have questions.

• We got our seconde B when the first one was twoo years old, so we know for sure he was fully trained and a bit mature in his mind.

When The little one came, the older one instantly took care of him and clean his ears, licked his fur etc etc.
    I have to say the training was a bit more difficult then having one B. because they learned eachother their trics and behavior.
    But with much attention and training we didn't have trouble at all..

I think it's really important to show your older one (the one you've got longer) that he's as important as the cute puppy. Not too much, they're so smart and then they will be maybe too dominant.
    When youre in charge and have the strings in your hands, there shoulden't be to much trouble I tink..

We've two males, and Buana is almost three, Chafuko today became one and they never have a fight.. They just know who's the boss. (at our home, Kas and I share the alpha place, Spaiky the cat has his second place, then Buana, and Chafuko is last… Now hailey is with us, she's got third place, above Buana.
    When she's got in, Buana and Chafuko immediatly shown her: okay you're above us.. we don't mind.
    Hailey eats first, Buana next and Chafuko after Buana

I don't know if it's matter that Buana and Chafuko has the same dad, I don't think so

• 2 B-s are better then one :d yes, also a lot more work, as they can take over nasty tricks from each other, but on the other hand they play with each other and make themselves more tired, it is a joy to see 2 basenjis playing and enjoying each other, just beware that what 1 can do, 2 can do better and quicker and faster, and then I am talking about the mischievious stuff 😉

@Buana:

We got our seconde B when the first one was twoo years old, so we know for sure he was fully trained and a bit mature in his mind.

whahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahha
    you are killing me here Kim 😃

• I love having 2 b's….and think 3 dogs is even better then 2!! I got Chey when Dakota was old and rather cranky but it was so much fun to watch her mimic everything he did. He tolerated her at that point and since she had Marlowe to play with things went fine. When I got Apache, Chey was 3 and I wasn't sure what to expect. She was dream! She was the best little babysitter a mom could ask for. Potty training went easier because all I had to do was get Chey out and Apache would follow. They get into their noisy little spats now and again but for the most part are attached at the hip. It's such a joy to watch them. Their movements are synchronized at times which cracks me up and there's nothing sweeter then seeing them both laying out in the sun together or running around the house playing.

Since I have 3 dogs...two are always left at home but I would think that if you started taking the pup or Sahara out on their own right away for some time they would get used to it.

With Apache being fanconi affected, I know what you mean about wanting to be able to give Sahara the best care when and IF the time comes...which hopefully it never does... but remember that aside from all the pills and the trips for her blood gas tests, they live a relatively normal life if they take to the protocol. Your life will be turned upside down more then hers.

I also agree with Sharron that a male would be the best...we've all heard the stories of what can happen if two bitches get into a fight. When I get a new pup in a couple years I'm going for another male. Chey's queen bee here and I don't have the space to separate dogs at this point.

• @ibi_n_sane:

2 B-s are better then one :d yes, also a lot more work, as they can take over nasty tricks from each other, but on the other hand they play with each other and make themselves more tired, it is a joy to see 2 basenjis playing and enjoying each other, just beware that what 1 can do, 2 can do better and quicker and faster, and then I am talking about the mischievious stuff 😉

whahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahha
    you are killing me here Kim 😃

He is!!! 🆒 Just when he's near that Tri-thing of you…. :mad:

hahahaha

Suggested Topics