• I actually joined up in 2010 but family life has been a bit crazy for 12 months.
    I now have time to introduce myself.
    I have been owned by Basenji for 43 years - and have only discovered the joys of tracking in the last 12 months - could have started just a LITTLE earlier!!
    It's a sport for the fit - not those that like to laze about!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to persuade a 'chewer' that a coat keeps you warm - and you shouldn't eat it - or your mothers?? He's up to 5 this winter already!!

• Hello! And Welcome! I don't have any suggestions for your 'chewer' as I have one of my own (more than one) that will chew whatever takes his fancy! Usually it's the corners of the couch. If he's a puppy though, hopefully he will grow out of it. I find as they age-some of them settle down in the chewing department.

• LOL welcome and good luck with that. Those that chew, chew. I had one that did, one that didn't. Tried just putting it on the nonchewer. No. The chewer didn't care who was wearing it, lol.

• Hello and Welcome! My boy Max hates wearing anything and will fall down like a cat if I put a coat on him. If That doesnt work he will "kill" it until it is in tiny pieces.I figure that is a message to me so he goes without a coat-if he is cold he will stop walking and turn around and head home.

• The thing that annoys me is that he always wore a coat as a puppy - he's just turned 12 months now.
    But boys being boys, in the last few weeks he thought Mum had come back in season (she hadn't!) so in frustration he gradually chewed her coat - from the back forward - left the polar fleece around her shoulders and chest and neck. And the silly girl just let him - looking at him indulgently - "My boy"

I tried making them without the polar neck (designed to stop chewing of the front) - or reinforced them with thick cotton tape - and that lasted a little longer.
    Now he just looks at me with those eyes saying "Hell, I'm freezing Mum!"

• Welcome 🙂

• Glad you found us.

• Welcome to the forum. My Basenjis only wear coats in abd weather when they are getting old..

• Hello again after a very long absence!!
    My 'chewing' boy now leaves his coat alone - his Mum (now spayed) wears his old hand-me-down coat, and he has his onw snazzy camoflage polar fleece jumper that I made.
    Can't possibly have it off thankyou!!
    His half-brother Jerry had his first coat on today - also a 'chewer' - we'll see if it is still on in the morning. Jerry's sister Chloe also got one on today after I managed to keep her still enough to pull it over her head!!
    Jerry is NOT allowed to touch it thank you!!

@kiwir:

The thing that annoys me is that he always wore a coat as a puppy - he's just turned 12 months now.
    But boys being boys, in the last few weeks he thought Mum had come back in season (she hadn't!) so in frustration he gradually chewed her coat - from the back forward - left the polar fleece around her shoulders and chest and neck. And the silly girl just let him - looking at him indulgently - "My boy"

I tried making them without the polar neck (designed to stop chewing of the front) - or reinforced them with thick cotton tape - and that lasted a little longer.
    Now he just looks at me with those eyes saying "Hell, I'm freezing Mum!"

Suggested Topics