• Yea - Vanessa!! I'm real happy for you too!! 🙂

• That's great. I'm so envious!! Can't wait to hear about and see the little one!

• I've read this on the forum and liked it. "I love Puppy breath". Great news, good Luck and enjoy.

• Wonderful news Vanessa !!!!! Better get that camera ready u know we all love to see babie pictures !!!!

• Congrats! That's so exciting!!

I remember waiting….waiting.....waiting for the day to arrive for me to pick up Jazzy!

Funny, it was less than two years ago, but it seems like she has been here longer than that!

• @Sunny:

Wonderful news Vanessa !!!!! Better get that camera ready u know we all love to see babie pictures !!!!

I promise to each and every one in this forum you will see many puppy pictures. I even plan on posting updates on potty training (oah god my poor carpet) and puppy kindergarden.
    It looks like the litter will be ariving on either the 25th or the 28th of this month.
    I also hope to become involved in lure coursing. ( a tired basenji is a happy baasenji )

I do have one question which I have not seen anyone ask….
    First thing in the morning when you let the pup out is it better to carry them or have them run to the door...the little guys have such a small blatter...is it bad practice to carry them to the door to let them out in fear that they may have an accident on the way??

Thank you,
    Vanessa

• <>
    I always carry. I know they need to go first thing in the am, so why chance it 🙂 AND...I think it is good practice to getting basenjis used to being picked up and put down over and over and over.
    Who is your breeder? Can't wait to hear about your baby!

• if they are circling, squatting, etc.. I'm all FOR carrying! If not, and it's easy for the pup to make it to the door, I think that is the best idea. the earlier the pup learns to GO TO the door on it's own, the faster potty training will go. but, if you fear an accident, by all means, get that puppy toosh outside!

• The last two pups we have where litter trained, that was excellent.

We had to transition them from the pan to the yard, but it seemed to work out good.

• I carry because I know that I can not beat them downstairs to the back door and when they are still pretty young there is only 1-2 seconds between reaching the back door to signal they need out and then peeing. Once they get a little older and I can trust them to wait for me to open the back door for them, I stop carrying.

• @Quercus:

<>
    I always carry. I know they need to go first thing in the am, so why chance it 🙂 AND...I think it is good practice to getting basenjis used to being picked up and put down over and over and over.
    Who is your breeder? Can't wait to hear about your baby!

The breeder that we've decided on is Connie Paulsen and Kathy Britton with Khani's Basenji's located in Portland Oregon. Last year when we were looking for a pup, no one close to us were having any. I found out through BCOA that they were having puppies. We took our pup home but unfortunately he became quite ill and had to be put to sleep. Kathy was so sweet and helped us through our difficult ordeals that we decided to get another puppy this year. Ever since we lost Leeno there has been something missing in our home. Even the cat misses having someone to play with.
    Thank you again for all the advice. This forum is such a blessing. Being able to share experiences, memories and ask questions helps so many people.

• I'm so sorry that I missed your member introduction. I had no idea that you had lost a puppy. I have tears just thinking about that happening. My heart goes out to you and I am so excited for you getting a new puppy!

• <>
    Great choice! I think Kathy pops in on the forum here occasionally! I am sorry to hear about your first puppy, that must have been heartbreaking.

• @Quercus:

<>
    Great choice! I think Kathy pops in on the forum here occasionally! I am sorry to hear about your first puppy, that must have been heartbreaking.

Leeno was our first taste of a basenji. Wow what an experience he was 🙂 So many great memories...I did get a real blast with creat training. He would not stop screeming so in the end because I work full time and go to school in the evenings he won...he got to sleep in the bed:rolleyes: This time.. I have this website as ammunition and Im ready. 😃

• Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Topics