• I need to find a good basic training class. Everything I've read on the forum seems to point to formal training. however, my boarder is reluctant becasue Diesel is already a year old and she hasn't had a lot of success with Bs at that age. I don't want to go to Petco etc but know I can't do it on my own with him. Any suggestions?
    thanks

• Any dog of any age can be trained. Remember when you do start a training class. Practice, Patience and Persistence. You will want a positive training class. I'm sure the others can chime in with ways to locate a good trainer in your area. (references from your friends are helpful.)

• thanks for the input-I'm looking forward to reading more responses on how to find a good trainer for him

• Well PetCo may not be a bad choice, depending on what techniques the trainer uses. Most of us here recommend positive reinforcement or clicker training..as it seems to be the most successful technique for Basenjis. You can find good and bad trainers anywhere, and using any techniques. One good place to start is http://www.apdt.com/po/ts/default.aspx

And yep, it definitely isn't too late to start training him. One of the great things about positive reinforcement training is that there is no wrong age, breed, species, etc…it works on everything and everyone 🙂

• I suggest training classes for all rescues, no matter what age.
    The important thing is that the classes use positive methods and that you work with your dog with a good attitude.
    If its fun and play, you both will enjoy it.

• I took EL D to obedience class when he was 5 years old - the instructor evaluates all potential students first (that impressed me) and she said she didn't usually take dogs that old but when she ran him through various paces she felt he would do okay (for a basenji). So I guess you'll just have to search around and interview instructors.

• Um, sorry, I've trained dogs ages 13 and 14. Most dogs are willing to learn with positive reinforcement. So 5 is not old. Should she have evaluated first, yes, I believe so simply to know what the dog is like and how much the dog is willing to work, but I still believe any dog can be trained. But if she thinks 5 is old, she's totally wrong.

• I agree that there is no such thing as too old to be trained. I have worked with dogs at all ages at the shelter, many with no training at all, and they all responded well to positive training.

Here is another trainer directory, many are also on the APDT list, http://www.trulydogfriendly.com/blog/?page_id=4

From your other post, it sounds like you may want to look for a behaviorist first, here is a link to a directory of behaviorists, http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

• How young is too young to train with classes? Thinking about doing this for our little Basenji.

And there can't be an age limit, I am still trying to train my faince' on a few things and she is almost 30!

• most puppy classes start at age 12 wks

• I am wanting to put Kenya in training classes but my vet and the class instructor told me to wait until she has all her shots. She will get her third set Monday and then I have to wait another three weeks before she gets her last ones. At that point she will be 15-16 weeks.

• @c-bus:

I am wanting to put Kenya in training classes but my vet and the class instructor told me to wait until she has all her shots. She will get her third set Monday and then I have to wait another three weeks before she gets her last ones. At that point she will be 15-16 weeks.

I think this is dependent on the preferences on the training facility or vet. The kennel club I will be taking my dog to only requires that the puppy is getting its routine shots but not necessarily completed with them. And the person teaching the class works at my vet. That being said, my breeder has mentioned that she prefers that the shots be completed first.

• You are missing out on critical socialization if you wait that long. Most puppy kindergartens take puppies after their second set of shots. These classses have only puppies that have been vaccinated and are low risk with high gains in the socialization and experiences the puppy gains.

• @lvoss:

You are missing out on critical socialization if you wait that long. Most puppy kindergartens take puppies after their second set of shots. These classses have only puppies that have been vaccinated and are low risk with high gains in the socialization and experiences the puppy gains.

I completely agree with this.

• @Nemo:

I think this is dependent on the preferences on the training facility or vet. The kennel club I will be taking my dog to only requires that the puppy is getting its routine shots but not necessarily completed with them. And the person teaching the class works at my vet. That being said, my breeder has mentioned that she prefers that the shots be completed first.

I think you are waiting too long. You should have two complete sets of shots before class. Waiting till they are 15/16wks you are missing critical socialization skills. Waiting for "all the shots" is pretty much old school these days.

My pups go out even before that to things like lure trials… you just need to be careful and not let them "get" into anything like "old poop" laying around.

• @lvoss:

You are missing out on critical socialization if you wait that long. Most puppy kindergartens take puppies after their second set of shots. These classses have only puppies that have been vaccinated and are low risk with high gains in the socialization and experiences the puppy gains.

I totally agree

• @tanza:

I think you are waiting too long. You should have two complete sets of shots before class. Waiting till they are 15/16wks you are missing critical socialization skills. Waiting for "all the shots" is pretty much old school these days.

My pups go out even before that to things like lure trials… you just need to be careful and not let them "get" into anything like "old poop" laying around.

I'm planning on taking her around the time of the 2nd shots if I can. But the problem is that the next round of puppy classes doesn't start till the last week of March, which would be around 14 weeks anyway. Maybe they will let me join the last half of the previous class but I'd have to check into that.

Suggested Topics