• @MomOfMya:

Who ever said the breeder isn't testing? I know I didn't. People are just jumping to conclusions here.

I have to agree with you.. I was also a bit annoyed that everybody started about weight, dew claws and breeders not testing..
    Mya is beautiful. With dew claws.. Tillo has them as well.. the Dutch government thinks it is cruelty to take them of 😉

Edit: and please tell us about that puppy you are waiting for…...

• @Janneke:

I have to agree with you.. I was also a bit annoyed that everybody started about weight, dew claws and breeders not testing..
    Mya is beautiful. With dew claws.. Tillo has them as well.. the Dutch government thinks it is cruelty to take them of 😉

Thanks Janneke. I knew I could count on you for some reassurance!! 🙂

I am waiting for the breeder to call. Should be any day now. I have decided, because of everything I've read here, that we do need a male. Was Tillo easy to potty train??

• @MomOfMya:

Who ever said the breeder isn't testing? I know I didn't. People are just jumping to conclusions here.

You were the one that brought up that we were picking on Mya's breeder?… and it was a statement of fact of what a responsible breeder does... No one said that your didn't, hopefully they do and the results are on the OFA site

• @MomOfMya:

Thanks Janneke. I knew I could count on you for some reassurance!! 🙂

I am waiting for the breeder to call. Should be any day now. I have decided, because of everything I've read here, that we do need a male. Was Tillo easy to potty train??

🙂

Tillo was tha best!! At the breeder the pups already 'used' newspapers! So.. he peed in the house… twice? The first night he was with us, he was in his crate, with the door open. After a couple of hours sleep I heared something.. It was Tillo. He got up, walked in the middle of night to the other end of the room to pee... ON THE NEWSPAPER!! Aah.. so proud, so proud.. 😉 🙂

• @Janneke:

That is a difference between Europe and US… we do have different ideas about dew claws. Anyone who has seen a dew claw hanging by a thread, or one that has grown around and back into the skin would agree that it is much better to remove them at birth.

• @tanza:

and it was a statement of fact of what a responsible breeder does… No one said that your didn't, hopefully they do and the results are on the OFA site

Maybe it was a statement, but it's not really nice to get all this fanconi-blabla (sorry for the blabla part) in a thread about Mya looking extremely pretty. Mya's mommy (;)) isn't new to this forum.. so I suppose she has done her reading. After that.. It's up to her to decide. If she wants to know more about the testing, she can ask them and you can all tell her about fanconi, thyriod, dew claws, weight etc.. But maybe she just knows all of it already?

• @tanza:

That is a difference between Europe and US… we do have different ideas about dew claws. Anyone who has seen a dew claw hanging by a thread, or one that has grown around and back into the skin would agree that it is much better to remove them at birth.

The cruelty part was a reaction to MomofMya because she said she believes it's cruelty.. I thought it would be a nice addition to tell that the Dutch government agrees..
    On the other hand.. docking tails was always ok, because otherwhise the dog could break his tailbones while wagging his tail? (or something like that..)
    Well.. here in the Netherlands all dogs have tails.. and I believe it is very rare that a dog breaks it..

• Momofmya asked about dew claws… many answered... I was not one to say anything about weight other then to disagree about Basenji prone to gaining weight....

• @Janneke:

The cruelty part was a reaction to MomofMya because she said she believes it's cruelty.. I thought it would be a nice addition to tell that the Dutch government agrees..
    On the other hand.. docking tails was always ok, because otherwhise the dog could break his tailbones while wagging his tail? (or something like that..)
    Well.. here in the Netherlands all dogs have tails.. and I believe it is very rare that a dog breaks it..

I don't understand your comment about docking tails…. what country are you talking about?

• @tanza:

I don't understand your comment about docking tails…. what country are you talking about?

In the Netherlands it's no longer allowed to dock tails.. Don't know if that's also the case in the US? But there was a 'good' reason to dock.. but now it seems that that reason wasn't that good..
    I think it's the same with dew claws.. I don't know how often it happens in the Netherlands that a dew claw causes problems.. but probably not often enough to change the rule of not clipping them..

• she would be a great girlfriend for buana….

she so pretty..

• @tanza:

Momofmya asked about dew claws… many answered... I was not one to say anything about weight other then to disagree about Basenji prone to gaining weight....

I think it was the other way around.. first there was fanconi.. then thyriod.. then weight.. and then dew claws. The question was: do breeders still clip them. The answer was: yes, all responsible breeders do.. then:

Originally Posted by MomOfMya:
    Are you saying that breeders that do not remove dew claws are irresponsible??

Tanza:
    Yes, in the US it is standard to remove dew claws…. that along with health testing before breeding...

Sorry.. but I have to say that I feel a certain jugdment in your reply towards MomOfMya.. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

• In the United States, responsible breeders do remove dew claws. That is not a judgemental statement, it is a statement decribing how things are done here.

Before breeding my first litter, I talked with many breeders about breeding practices including the removal of dew claws. The ones I spoke with have been breeding a long time and had experience with dogs that had them and those that had them removed and their overwhelming response was that they felt it was the responsible thing to remove them after having seen the damage done when one is ripped out if caught on something. Most of the situations given were run of the mill, out in the backyard, normal play type situations so it is not just for dogs that are active in performance. But everyone single one said it only took seeing one dog rip a dewclaw and have it hanging by a thread to convince them that it was absolutely the right thing to do to remove them at a couple of days old when it is not major surgery to remove.

• @Janneke:

🙂

Tillo was tha best!! At the breeder the pups already 'used' newspapers! So.. he peed in the house… twice? The first night he was with us, he was in his crate, with the door open. After a couple of hours sleep I heared something.. It was Tillo. He got up, walked in the middle of night to the other end of the room to pee... ON THE NEWSPAPER!! Aah.. so proud, so proud.. 😉 🙂

It is all about training right off the bat. I'm sure the puppy will be fine. Mya was almost completely trained when we brought her home. The only accidents she had was when it was raining. Imagine that!! :p

• @tanza:

Momofmya asked about dew claws… many answered... I was not one to say anything about weight other then to disagree about Basenji prone to gaining weight....

I didn't ask about dew claws. I didn't say anyone was "picking" on my breeders. You're putting words into my mouth. I said that I simply put a picture of Mya up on the site - not to start a drama club - but to show her off a bit. I also said that I didn't put it up for opinions on dew claws, fanconi, weight issues, and thyroid problems. I didn't ask for opinions. But I sure as heck got them!!!!!

• @lvoss:

I do dew claws and so do all the responsible breeders that I know in California.

Okay, okay. You're the bomb!!

• @MomOfMya:

Are you saying that breeders that do not remove dew claws are irresponsible??

This was your post? And yes you are correct, you responded to another poster asking you about the dew claws on your girl…

• @tanza:

This was your post? And yes you are correct, you responded to another poster asking you about the dew claws on your girl…

I'm not here for the drama. I'll just let you and whoever else wants to bash my dog have at it!!!! Thank you.

• @MomOfMya:

Okay, okay. You're the bomb!!

😃 😃 (sorry.. but that's just funny ;))

• @Janneke:

In the Netherlands it's no longer allowed to dock tails.. Don't know if that's also the case in the US? But there was a 'good' reason to dock.. but now it seems that that reason wasn't that good..
    I think it's the same with dew claws.. I don't know how often it happens in the Netherlands that a dew claw causes problems.. but probably not often enough to change the rule of not clipping them..

Yes tail docking and ears are still done in the US… but I never heard that reason for tails? While I do agree on doing dew claws, I don't agree with tail docking or doing ears

Suggested Topics