• I've had an issue with Kananga this week throwing up in the middle of the night. He's done it now twice this week. But both times there was no food coming up, it was mostly water and probably some bile I'd guess. Afterwords he is perfectly fine. He doesn't do this during the day or after a meal. This happened roughly 12 hours after his dinner both times (closer to 4am).

I don't think this is because of his food because his stools are perfectly fine. I have yet to see anything loose. He's acting normal as well, nothing that points to him being ill. Could this be an acidic issue? Meaning he needs calcium or something that would neutralize things. Although I'm not familiar with what dogs can take for something like this. I'd assume the best thing would be to take him into the vet this week but I'm curious what everyone on here thinks.

• This is what we call "empty tummy"…. many dogs and B's do this. I would suggest that you give him a cookie or something before bed time and see if that resolves the problem

• @tanza:

This is what we call "empty tummy"…. many dogs and B's do this. I would suggest that you give him a cookie or something before bed time and see if that resolves the problem

I will give that a try. Any possibility that I'm simply feeding him too early in the evening? I usually try to feed him around 5pm. Thanks for the tip.

• @Kananga:

I will give that a try. Any possibility that I'm simply feeding him too early in the evening? I usually try to feed him around 5pm. Thanks for the tip.

8 to 12 hours without any food is a pretty long time… I would just continue to feed at your regular time, but add a couple of cookies at just before bed time... It should resolve the issue pretty quickly if this is the cause

• Mine get fed 7am and 7 pm. But they also have a midday snack. A couple of Kibbles. If they don't get fed perfectly on time, one of them will usually throw up to let us know it's past feeding time.

• Mine have had "empty tummy" vomiting up as well; they eat dinner around 5:00 and I give them a small handful of kibble around bedtime (9:00). That alleviates throwing up in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.

Lori

• Hmm… sounds like that is the issue most likely.

I'll give him a small amount of his Blue Buffalo right before bedtime and see if that solves the problem. Sounds like that should do it.

Thanks for the tips everyone. 🙂

• This is good to hear. My little girl eats so fast, then throws up food, and re-eats it…the other Basenji thinks it is good, too. Yuck! The little girl seems to feel fine, has a big appetite, and stools are firm. I'm going to have blood work done, because I lost a dog to liver problems and she showed these symptoms. Worries me.

• @Vicki:

This is good to hear. My little girl eats so fast, then throws up food, and re-eats it…the other Basenji thinks it is good, too. Yuck! The little girl seems to feel fine, has a big appetite, and stools are firm. I'm going to have blood work done, because I lost a dog to liver problems and she showed these symptoms. Worries me.

Vicki? Aren't yours ones you rescued? I wonder if "bolting" the food has to do with where she was before you got her, rather then physical problems? They do make bowls that can slow them down, but also an old horse trick is to put rocks in the food bowl.. (and cheaper then buying a special dish)

Never hurts however to have blood work done to see how the liver/kidneys/etc are doing.

• @tanza:

Vicki? Aren't yours ones you rescued? I wonder if "bolting" the food has to do with where she was before you got her, rather then physical problems? They do make bowls that can slow them down, but also an old horse trick is to put rocks in the food bowl.. (and cheaper then buying a special dish)

Never hurts however to have blood work done to see how the liver/kidneys/etc are doing.

Yes. This particular girl was running the streets in a little TN town. It took animal control several weeks to catch her. When they did, Cami had lost almost all her fur and was covered with sores. She lived at a vet's office for almost two months, before I adopted her, where she had good care and blood work. The rescue group, vet, and I believe she was a puppy mill dog. Due to her shakey beginning, I am having blood work done tomorrow.

I've been adding a little enzyme to her food and giving her a spoon of yogurt in the evening per my vet.

• Feeding him a little food before bedtime seemed to do the trick. He slept throughout the entire night without any issues. 🙂

• @Kananga:

Feeding him a little food before bedtime seemed to do the trick. He slept throughout the entire night without any issues. 🙂

Great news….

Suggested Topics