Hello, everyone…this is my first time in any computer forum...

• @Tumimom:

Thanks again, everyone! It's a good feeling to know I don't have to be flying blind out when I am looking around. I met with another breeder this weekend from the BCOA website and I was amazed at the difference in my visit. She has a couple of older dogs I am looking at. I am now thinking it might be better to start with older dogs and ease into this. These dogs were well socialized, friendly, and looked very happy. I am also in communication with Medfly. I am hoping to make a decision soon so I can bring them home while I am on holiday.

Thanks, everyone! Glad to be here.

Welcome and great that you are really doing your research!!!

I did the same thing you are thinking about…I got a retired show dog from a BCOA breeder to "ease myself into basenjis" :D. Ruby was 2 when I got her...and very high energy. I got a friend for Ruby this spring, another retired show B named Brando...he was 3 when I got him...Ruby & Brando are one month apart in age and a perfect match...the breeder picked him for her. Things have worked out great.

I'm sure that you will find the perfect "B"...and it is great to read someone doing their research and not rushing into a decision just to get a basenji now.

• Older dogs are great starters if you are unsure of what you're getting into and don't have the time or energy (you need LOTS of it) for a puppy. Generally, they are already house broken and depending on the age, they are less intense (sometimes) than a puppy. Good luck!

• I've always started with adults and much prefer them since I work full time. Adults are enough of a handful - I can't imagine starting out with a puppy (even though they are the cutest things on earth :))

• I think your getting a more settled b is the right choice for a first time basenji owner.
    Have a great breeder to help you with any issues you come up with is also the way to go.
    I am excited for you.
    Do send some photos when you make up your mind which b you will be getting.

• @Tumimom:

Thanks again, everyone! It's a good feeling to know I don't have to be flying blind out when I am looking around. I met with another breeder this weekend from the BCOA website and I was amazed at the difference in my visit. She has a couple of older dogs I am looking at. I am now thinking it might be better to start with older dogs and ease into this. These dogs were well socialized, friendly, and looked very happy. I am also in communication with Medfly. I am hoping to make a decision soon so I can bring them home while I am on holiday.

Thanks, everyone! Glad to be here.

That's great… and thank you for taking the time to research the breed "before" jumping in....:D

Can't wait to hear what you get.... think you will be a wonderful B home!

• I have been talking with a breeder in the area who has confirmed everything I've read on this forum. Her name is Denise Searcy of Starfyre Basenjis. She has two older dogs, Robyn (7 years old) and Tino (age 12) who are very sweet, friendly, and get along well. I am going to be bringing them home the day after Christmas. I realize that they are older but I hope to give them a wonderful home for the rest of their lives! I will post pics as soon as I get them home and settled.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• @Tumimom:

I have been talking with a breeder in the area who has confirmed everything I've read on this forum. Her name is Denise Searcy of Starfyre Basenjis. She has two older dogs, Robyn (7 years old) and Tino (age 12) who are very sweet, friendly, and get along well. I am going to be bringing them home the day after Christmas. I realize that they are older but I hope to give them a wonderful home for the rest of their lives! I will post pics as soon as I get them home and settled.

That is great…. tell Denise that Pat from Tanza says HI!!!!!

• @Tumimom:

I have been talking with a breeder in the area who has confirmed everything I've read on this forum. Her name is Denise Searcy of Starfyre Basenjis. She has two older dogs, Robyn (7 years old) and Tino (age 12) who are very sweet, friendly, and get along well. I am going to be bringing them home the day after Christmas. I realize that they are older but I hope to give them a wonderful home for the rest of their lives! I will post pics as soon as I get them home and settled.

That's wonderful! Merry Christmas 🙂

• You are wonderful for giving 2 mature basenjis a great home. You may find that even a 12 & 7 year olds have plenty of energy! For a first time basenji owner, a pair of mature adults is a great way to get started in the breed.
    Congratulations!

• Your getting the best ages for b's, imo.
    We can't wait to see your b's photos.

Suggested Topics