Hello, everyone…this is my first time in any computer forum...

• Hi! I discovered this forum as I was searching for info on Bs. I used to have a fabulous little girl, Tumi, who was rescued. She was a mix but I did a lot of research on her traits and discovered she must be a Basenji. She was the most amazing thing in my life but I had to put her down when she was 8 (I think it was Fanconi) - that was almost 3 years ago. I am ready for new dogs and am in touch with a breeder out here in Southern California. She has two one-year old brothers that I am considering taking but have some concerns about all the health and responsibility issues I am reading about here. Has anyone heard of Mountain Springs Ranch, in Anza, CA? Sandy is the breeder. She is very nice of course and I spent about 2 hours there with her dogs. No major concerns but she isn't listed on BCOA. I am still checking her out but would love to know if anyone has heard of her. Thanks!

• Umm, gosh….I really don't want to trash anyone publicly. Keep researching and tread lightly. I don't think she does ANY health testing, I used to live in SoCal and when I visited breeders back in October '07 her name was thrown out there as....well.... I'll say that you can for sure get a puppy in SoCal for $900 that has been health tested for Fanconi, hips and eyes. If she DOES test at least for Fanconi, there would be no reason not to highlight that on her website, am I right?

Did you ask her about it?

• Hi there. Glad you are doing some research. Since you've already dealt with a sick dog you know what might be in store for you. She does not list the reg names of her dogs on her website, doesn't seem to be any health testing. I would be very wary. All the shots seem to be taken in a kennel. Not that it's a bad thing, but how much human interaction do they really get. The statement "rare barkless dogs" makes me wonder. I would, too, tread very lightly here. Do you have the registered names? We could help research with you. And $900? Without testing? Again, be careful.

• Yes, find someone who is upfront about the health testing they have done on their dogs.
    Save yourself any health grief you can get with untested b's.

• I echo what has been said here. Steer clear of breeder who has not tested their breeding stock for Fanconi using the DNA marker test. If you are considering a getting a young adult or older dog please look at Medfly Basenji Rescue, http://www.basenjirescue.com They have many dogs right now that need homes.

• And I also agree with what has been said here regarding health testing… and yes, please consider MedFly

• Thank you all so much. I hated to admit to my misgivings, these dogs are so adorable. I will post pics from the kennel for you to see. I asked her the questions from the list I found in this forum (thanks for that too!) and she said I can pay to have her test them, as she has not tested them or the parents. She has both parents in her own kennel. That seems to be a bad idea, though I am not sure why. Also, I don't know what to expect to see when I visit a kennel and don't know what is reasonable to pay for a well-bred dog. I can not afford $900 a puppy, especially since I would like two. Based on what I am reading in this forum I am willing to get one now and wait for the second one. I have contacted Medfly and will consider them. I don't know of any other breeders in this area. Thank you, again and I appreciate any more info you can give me.

Thanks!

• Good place to start if you want a puppy…

http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm

The thing about looking for a puppy of any breed is that the breeding programs most easily found online are breeding for profit. So googling won't get you far.
    But please please even if she will test the puppy you're interested in just think about the meaning/significance of her intentions to the whole breed. You want to feel confident about the breeding practices you're supporting with where you choose to get your puppy.

I mean really, $130 to test for Fanconi, COME ON.

• Medfly does a wonderful job of rehoming b's.
    I would check with them.
    I am glad you were smart enough to do your homework before you got a puppy you fell in love with, and found out it wouldn't be with you for many years…

• Here is great link for questions to ask and why you should ask each of them.

http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.htm

• @Tumimom:

I asked her the questions from the list I found in this forum (thanks for that too!) and she said I can pay to have her test them, as she has not tested them or the parents.

And then you are out the money of the test if they come back Probably Affected and you choose not to take them? That isn't right. She is selling these dogs and if she wants to sell them then she should pay for the testing. Why is she placing them at a year old? Has she just been unable to place all of last year's puppies? The test was released July 2007 so the parents should have been tested prior to these boys even being born and she has had a whole year since then to get them tested.

• Sandy had 6 litters last year, so yeah, she probably didn't find homes for all of them.
    She does not test, show, course, or take puppies back.

Terry

• Terry, I don't know who this Sandy is, but I can tell you she is the type of breeder I get my rescue dogs from…sigh.
    I so wish these folks could follow in the footsteps of breeders who care.

• thanks, I will call the breeders in the area and follow up with Medfly. I will let you know what happens for sure! In the meantime I will get to know this forum well…

• @Tumimom:

thanks, I will call the breeders in the area and follow up with Medfly. I will let you know what happens for sure! In the meantime I will get to know this forum well…

Welcome to the forum! Good for you that you are doing your research!! I know for sure that you will be rewarded with the best puppy ever!

• Welcome! And congratulations on being such a well informed future basenji owner. The right dog will come along, and though ALL basenjis are cute and ready to steal your heart, the right one will come along for you. Paying $900 for an untested 1 year old seems very steep to me. My friend (In Florida) got a 15 month old male from a BCOA breeder, she decided not to use him in her breeding program, for $150, the price of the neuter! At a bit over a year, the breeder considered him a 're-homed' adult, not a young salable puppy.

Keep looking!

• @Tumimom:

Thank you all so much. I hated to admit to my misgivings, these dogs are so adorable. I will post pics from the kennel for you to see. I asked her the questions from the list I found in this forum (thanks for that too!) and she said I can pay to have her test them, as she has not tested them or the parents. She has both parents in her own kennel. That seems to be a bad idea, though I am not sure why. Also, I don't know what to expect to see when I visit a kennel and don't know what is reasonable to pay for a well-bred dog. I can not afford $900 a puppy, especially since I would like two. Based on what I am reading in this forum I am willing to get one now and wait for the second one. I have contacted Medfly and will consider them. I don't know of any other breeders in this area. Thank you, again and I appreciate any more info you can give me.

Thanks!

900.00 is reasonable for a well bred (which would include health testing) for our area (West Coast).. some breeders may be a bit more, some a bit less..

What you should look for is that the dogs are part of the family, not living 24/7 in kennel runs. You will find lack of socialization when puppies are not raised in a home and/or once they get to be 8 or 9 wks are put in a kennel.

Typically BYB (Back Yard Breeders) that use their own dogs, breed the same pairs year after year… they are not trying to improve the breed, but only breeding to sell and make money.

• @Tumimom:

Thank you all so much. I hated to admit to my misgivings, these dogs are so adorable. I will post pics from the kennel for you to see. I asked her the questions from the list I found in this forum (thanks for that too!) and she said I can pay to have her test them, as she has not tested them or the parents. She has both parents in her own kennel. That seems to be a bad idea, though I am not sure why. Also, I don't know what to expect to see when I visit a kennel and don't know what is reasonable to pay for a well-bred dog. I can not afford $900 a puppy, especially since I would like two. Based on what I am reading in this forum I am willing to get one now and wait for the second one. I have contacted Medfly and will consider them. I don't know of any other breeders in this area. Thank you, again and I appreciate any more info you can give me.

Thanks!

You can go to the BCOA website for breeder referrals, also you can go to the Southern CA club website www.southcoastbasenji.org and click on the Breeder link for links to our members.

Terry

• Thanks again, everyone! It's a good feeling to know I don't have to be flying blind out when I am looking around. I met with another breeder this weekend from the BCOA website and I was amazed at the difference in my visit. She has a couple of older dogs I am looking at. I am now thinking it might be better to start with older dogs and ease into this. These dogs were well socialized, friendly, and looked very happy. I am also in communication with Medfly. I am hoping to make a decision soon so I can bring them home while I am on holiday.

Thanks, everyone! Glad to be here.

• Can I just say, major KUDOS to researching you dog before !!! what ever Basenji finds you, will be very lucky to have you as a parent. 😉

Suggested Topics