Why do responsible breeders test for Fanconi Syndrome?

• Because they not only love their dogs, but they care so much about the families that are getting one of their basenjis to NOT have to endure the following:

Have you ever stopped to think what it is like to live with a Fanconi-affected Basenji? When I recently asked one of my dog owner's – about their Fanconi-affected, this is what she had to say:
    He had a positive urine glucose test-strip on May 16, 2005. He was then 6 ½ years old. He had peed twice in the car over the two weeks before testing. This was very strange, as he is in the car every day going to appointments with one or the other of thus. I remember that he became distraught in the car one day and I could not figure out what was wrong and then he peed a ton all over the inside of the car. It was not his regular pee schedule. After the second time, I was worried.
    We did not notice him drinking excessive amounts of water until after he was diagnosed, although he did get up 2 or 3 times just before diagnosis to get a drink in the middle of the night. He had never done this before.
    He was diagnosed at 6 ½ years old and clinical signs appeared in the preceding month.

What are the differences in living with a Fanconi-afflicted dog?
    We worry about his health, his diet, his exercise, his blood work… we just worry about him all of the time.
    We give him 14 pills in the morning and 14 pills in the evening… all by mouth.
    We need to take him out far more often to pee.
    We need to protect the bed from “leaks” overnight.
    We are trying to plan for incontinence.
    We need to be sure to bring water when he plays in the park.
    We have a difficult time finding/trusting someone to care for him when we travel. We used to have three or four option for his care when we left town. Now, we have only one person we trust to give him the pills diligently, make sure his water is full and let him out to pee often. We have three annual one-week trips and so far, Joyce has always been available. If he becomes incontinent, she will not be able to care for him.

What has made living with a fanconi-afflicted basenji a bit easier for you?
    My husband is wonderful about the pill giving. He is a matter-of-fact and firm. He does not get upset, as I fear I would have. He never gives the pills at the same time. Just morning and evening – both before and after meals. He tolerates it from my husband and does not hold a grudge. He still cuddles as much as ever with him. He will sometimes hide under the bed when he sees the pills coming, but we just wait for him to come out, which he does eventually. We take vitamins too and so the sound of pills in a bottle wore off pretty quick.
    We take him everywhere with us. He is rarely left alone. He hates a crate and that causes him stress, which the vet said we need to avoid. So we are lucky to be able to keep him with us pretty much all the time.
    We have a wonderfully supportive breeder who e-mails supportive information and got us in touch with a Vet who has had experience with Fanconi-afflicted Basenjis.

Can you describe the general attitude of your dog these days?
    He is happy, playful and mischievous as ever. He is extremely healthy-looking and have a beautiful shiny, soft coat. He continues to enrich our lives daily.

As you can see.. Fanconi Syndrome can turn your dog’s life upside-down… some dog’s can live a happy, healthy, and long life on Dr. Steve Gonto’s Fanconi Management Protocol… but you won’t ever know it is there if you don't Fanconi Test your breeding stock and puppies [if not out of faconi-clear parents].

• Well said Kathy, but they don't have to be out of two Fanconi Clear Parents, only one needs to be clear… and then the pups need to be tested for the breeders records to find Clear or Carriers... or obviously in the case of using an affected dog all would be carriers. Again note I am saying "affected dog" as the sire, I would not want to use an affected bitch... and also there would have to be good reason for the breeding (like not losing a particular line)...

• I like the thread also. Although, when I originally read the title, I was thinking "are you crazy, that you have to ask?".

• Kathy, can I use this to send to people who ask me about Fanconi? I think it's great!

• It's really hard when you have a dog who won't accept the pills.
    It breaks your heart dailey.
    Thank heavens we have the test now.

• @khanis:

but you won’t ever know it is there if you don't Fanconi Test your breeding stock and puppies [if not out of fanconi-clear parents].

Pat….......
    that line means that if your puppy is out of two fanconi clear parents, it doesn't need to be tested to find out whether or not it will ever get Fanconi...
    I should have been more clear, as of course we know that I am aware of what should/should not require testing.

If anyone wants that article, feel free to email me [bennyburnerbono at aol dot com] and I can send it in a word document. I have another one as well…. having bred and lived with Fanconi Affecteds, I have had my eyes opened far wider than ever imagined to this disastrous disease!

• I agree that its a hard disease to live with.
    Thank heavens most dogs take the pills and are able to handle them.
    My boy didn't.

• @khanis:

Pat….......
    that line means that if your puppy is out of two fanconi clear parents, it doesn't need to be tested to find out whether or not it will ever get Fanconi...
    I should have been more clear, as of course we know that I am aware of what should/should not require testing.

If anyone wants that article, feel free to email me [bennyburnerbono at aol dot com] and I can send it in a word document. I have another one as well…. having bred and lived with Fanconi Affecteds, I have had my eyes opened far wider than ever imagined to this disastrous disease!

Kathy,
    I think that many of us have had our eyes opened really far wide… not only about Fanconi but about the practice of some breeders that many would consider "responsible"..... Sad as that is....

Thanks for posting that article... it is very well done... and should be an eye opener to many....

Suggested Topics