• It sounds like you need more than a trainer (mentioned in your other post)…you need to seek a behaviorist to find out what is causing him to act aggressively. It may be fear based (nervous of strangers) or guarding based (I don't want this person here) or if he would rather just be left alone and your guests aren't respecting that...there are different ways you would go about changing the behavior, based on what the root of the problem is.

I would advise definitely NO physical punishment for this dog...it sounds like he may be quite confused and making his own rules. Definitely check into some behavioral training assistance.

• Did you talk to his breeder about his behavior?

• I agree that you need a behaviorist… and here is a link for you to read....see how much of this is what you are seeing in your boy... and yes, have you talked to your breeder?

http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/Some_Suggestions_for_Raising_a_Well.doc

• We have a Buster Cube. Katie loves it!! If you have hardwood floors, be prepared for a noisy activity!!

The nipping (when Kate was little) was stopped with a spray bottle and a firm NO along with the water squirt. Soon all we needed was the verbal cue.

Exercise (not easy in our winters, 10 below 0 this morning and a sheet of ice over everything here) and extra play time in the winter are a must. We invent borderline devious hide-and-seek games. Favorite toys hidden under a stack of newspapers, treats behind couches, small box filled with crumpled newspaper and a treat at the bottom, the best is a toy that you can turn on and off the sound so you can hide it, turn it on, and wait until your B finds, treat, then play again.

• I agree training and some increase activity would be good but please also test his Thyroid. This would NOT be a disease that would cause him pain so I presume the full panel was not done. The basic one that vets do does not get to the basenji thyroid issue - you need a full panel and it should be sent to Jean Dodds in CA or U of MI. Both are familiar with the unique thyroid levels of basenjis. Average for a regular dog is too low for a basenji.

So check with your breeder and ask for some history on thyroid testing and get your dog tested.

IF you go to my home page on the links there is a link to Jean Dodds site.

• thanks for all the answers…here is some more info. I didn't get him from a breeder so I haven't got that route to ask. He was at 12 weeks loving and gentle and responded well to the no bites. However he got more aggressive as he got older. I live in a duplex and even when my neighbor knocks on the door I pick him up and cuddle him. They don't come in the house or approach him in any way but his hackles go up and he growls. With my friends he has been shy but comes around and then the aggression-baring his teeth-comes out of no where for no reason-he lunges at them on the couch while we are talking or if they are talking and petting him he turned on one friend and lunged at her face. He had the full thryoid panel because I my last boy Buddy had thyroid so my vet is very thorough. It was negative. The behaviors come out of no where. If we are on the couch watching t.v he could be cuddling with me or chewing his bone and suddenly he leaps on me with his mouth open and he really means to bite. If I do the no bite he just bites when I let go of his snout. I have never hit him and always try to cuddle him and praise him or give him treats. he actually likes water-he tries to get in the shower with me and loves to walk in the rain so the spray bottle has no effect!!! When he is sweet he is so sweet and loving and loves to cuddle but the last few days I've actually been frightened of him and I don't like that feeling and I am not having anyone in the house for fear he hurts them.

• So, you got him from a pet shop?
    That could be part of the problem, if true.

• I think you really need to contact an animal behaviorist. Your dog may be giving you signals that you are just missing. You may want to get a DVD on canine body language like The Language of Dogs. Some of the signals that dogs give are missed by humans because the are subtle and not what are traditionally thought of warning signs. I would be looking for a behavior consult better understand what is happening and what steps are needed to make it better.

• No I didn't he was from a private owner-her daughter had the parents and they had puppies-then her son-in-law was transferred and the woman I bought him from sold the puppies. There was him. a brother and a sister. The mom had an aunt that was an adult.

• It true that many dogs give signals humans miss.
    Its amazing when I go over to see someone about their bad basenji, how I
    watch them much closer than the family does.
    I think it just comes from most folks not knowing what to see.
    Hopefully, someone can come over and help you.
    It would so be worth the $$

Suggested Topics