• Hi all! I'm new to this. My name is Brian Moore. My wife and I are looking to adopt a dog and are doing our fair share of research. We've settled on a Basenji. We have 2 Basenji's where I work and I love them. I've filled out the adoption paperwork on the BRAT site and am waiting for them to get back to me. So far they've sent me Basenji mixes. I'd really like a full breed Basenji or at least a Basenji/Chihuahua mix as I am allergic to most other breeds.

Can anyone help me out? The perfect timing for me would to get a Basenji the week of Thanksgiving - Nov 22ndish. I plan on taking the dog to work a few days a week but I'd like to spend a full week at home with him/her before that.

Please let me know what you all think or if anyone can help.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Brian Moore

• I'm sure others will have detailed answers, but my first off my head suggestions are:
    http://www.petfinder.com - enter in Basenji and just see what it spits out. Often if you really fall in love with a dog, you can maneuver a way to get it to you. There are always a few purebreds.

http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm
    Check the local breeders listings.

Medfly is far - but is a excellent group outside of BRAT. One requirement is you go to CA.. www.basenjirescue.com

• If you don't hear back from the BRAT folks in a day or so, let me know and I will see what I can do for you.
    We have many b's in rescue that need homes.
    We welcome folks who are interested in rehoming a basenji.

• Thank you very much. BRAT has been sending me Basenji mixes and I'm a little leary because I am allergic to most breeds. I'd really like a pure breed or Basenji/Chihuahua mix. I've checked out Petfinder and I've contacted a few shelters in Virginia but they only work with people in that area.

I would love to help you out and rescue a Basenji. I will keep looking on the BRAT website. Wish me luck.

Sincerely,

Brian Moore

• Did you get the Welcome letter back from BRAT yet?
    If not, your still in the works, when it comes to the system.
    BUT you can be assured I will help you with your next rescue companion.
    Thank you for thinking rescue for your next companion animal.

• Hi. I got my BRAT letter. So I guess I'm just waiting now to see if they have any dogs for me. Still looking on Petfinder and trying to reach out to shelters. Some people that I've reached out to in the D.C. area said they don't place dogs outside the area.

If you come across anything, please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks gain.

Sincerely,

Brian Moore

• Brian, even tho b's don't shed a lot, they can make a person "react" to their dander.
    So, I suggest you go visit a basenji household, take along a t shirt and rub it all over the dogs you see during that visit.
    Take it home and sleep with it next to your pillow.
    You will know when you wake up if your going to have issues with b's and allergies.
    Try it, its much better than getting a dog and then not being able to keep it.

• Brian,

Did you see that B mix I posted in VA? They said they would adopt out of the area… He seems very Basenji to me, they say he doesn't bark... i bet you anything they would send you a T-shirt or something with his scent to see if you react to him.. he has been at their shelter a good long while.

• @designcrush72:

Hi. I got my BRAT letter. So I guess I'm just waiting now to see if they have any dogs for me. Still looking on Petfinder and trying to reach out to shelters. Some people that I've reached out to in the D.C. area said they don't place dogs outside the area.

If you come across anything, please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks gain.

Sincerely,

Brian Moore

Have you checked out all the dogs already listed on BRATS page? http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/default.htm

that page is updated often, so check back regularly.

• 🙂 Dear Brian,
    Try America's Basenji Rescue,Keath Rhymer in Indiana.I know he has many B's to chose from.
    You can contact me privately for his e-mail addy.

Kathryn D. Ladick
    Thundrhead@aol.com

• I'm surprised the Virginia people said Penn wasn't "in the area"– We consider most surrounding states "in our area". 😉

Besides, I found my rescued Basenji on Petfinder in a shelter in Penn!! I'll keep my eyes out!!

• Hi Brian,

I found a link you might find useful:
    http://www.itzyu.com/avail.html

There is a 4 year old brindle female available for adoption.
    Apparently she needs to be an only-dog. Not sure if this is what you had in mind or are ready for… But I am pretty sure you are close enough to be considered (provided the rest of your application goes through with them.)

Keep us posted!

• Don't know how far you want to go - but look at this sweet all-basenji boy in TX

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12383101

• Or an amazing girl in IA - check out the video, she's a dancer

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12396915

• Many dogs out there that need homes.
    Let us know if you do find a companion, or if you need more help.

• Where are you in PA? I got Jack from a puppy-mill rescue shelter in OH, while i was living in Pittsburgh. Apparently there is an Amish farm in the area with a couple of basenjis and the woman was able to rescue one from two consecutive litters that had both had their ears nibbled on. I found her on petfinder, so maybe you can find one through her as well….her shelter is called something like my young and old furbabies.

• Well it's official. Thanks to BRAT I finally got a Basenji. His name is Jacob and he's about 2.5 years old. I love him so much. We got him on Saturday and he was so scared and timid. He is starting to warm up and come out of his shell. My wife and I are really thrilled that Jacob is now part of our family. Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread.

• Yaaaay what good news! Best of luck while you adjust to one another. Congrats..

and…we love pics!...hint hint nudge nudge

• Congratulations! Give him plenty of time and let him come to you, just stay relaxed, talk to him a lot, and try not to push. (that's hard when you want to scoop him up and hug and kiss) If he likes walks, jingle the leash and take him out a lot for short strolls, all that good stuff, and he'll be right at home in no time. Good for you for getting a rescue!

Anne in Tampa

• Congrats with the new addition! We sure love pics 😃

I LOVE his name.. Jacob.. just too cute 🙂

Suggested Topics