• What flea control product do you use? I just tried some Sergeant's Natural Defense on my B. It really smells from the natural oils. She didn't seem to mind it. I've been avoiding using anything for years except a flea comb. Now that she's older the fleas are freaking her out.

• I tried that flee control and couldn't stand the smell, I had to wash that stuff off of her, weeks later I could still smell it. I did use Frontline but it didn't work after awhile so I switched to a pill form of flea control, it's called Comfortis, it is great. Just make sure your B has eaten before giving it, it makes some sick. Sahara tolerates it well.

• I found these "recipes":

• natural flea powder :
      combine one part each of as many of these powdered herbs as you can find: eucalyptus, rosemary, fennel, yellow dock, wormwood and rue. Put this mixture in a shaker-top jar. Apply sparingly on the B's coat by brushing backward with your hands or a comb and sprinkling it into the base of the hairs (neck, back and belly). Use several times a week. Put your B outside for a while so the tenants vacate in the yard and not into your house.;) (© 1995 Dr. Richard H. Pitcairn)
    • lemon skin tonic:
      thinly slice a whole lemon, including the skin. Add it to 1 pint
      (= 473 ml or approx. 0.5 l) of nearly boiling water and let it steep overnight. The next day, sponge the solution onto the B's skin and let it dry. Use it daily for severe skin problems involving fleas.
      (© 1995 Dr. Richard H. Pitcairn-referring to Juliette de Baircali-Levy)

Both are natural flea repellents and in my opinion worth giving it a try. It may take a bit longer to get rid of these parasites but at least they don't contain toxics ! If you decide on using them, please keep us informed on the results.
    BTW. I strongly recommend Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats (latest edition = 3rd Edition-2005) to everyone who is concerned about giving our B's the best they can get.

Greetings from Belgium.

• @nobarkus:

What flea control product do you use? I just tried some Sergeant's Natural Defense on my B. It really smells from the natural oils. She didn't seem to mind it. I've been avoiding using anything for years except a flea comb. Now that she's older the fleas are freaking her out.

I use Frontline and/or Advantage. Usually I only need to put it on once or twice a year depending on the weather. If we go through a very hot spell, we get a flea or two and then usually about this time of year… but I don't use it every month... And yes, I have noticed also that the elders seem to be bothered by fleas more then the younger ones...

• I use BioSpot because it kills and repels all stages of fleas and it has natural products in it. Although I don't have a problem in my yard directly, when EL D catches rabbits, that's when he's likely to get them.
    The lemon recipe sounds intriguing though.

• @wizard:

I use BioSpot because it kills and repels all stages of fleas and it has natural products in it. Although I don't have a problem in my yard directly, when EL D catches rabbits, that's when he's likely to get them.
    The lemon recipe sounds intriguing though.

I saw some scary posts about Bio Spot causing seizures and sometimes death in their pets. I guess you won't know how your pet will react with any product until you use it. I don't know if there's any warnings about death or seizures on the package. What I'm worried about is my B is 14-1/2 and her system isn't that tough anymore.

• Again, I use both frontline and/or Advantage on mine and the oldest is 17+ and the youngest will be 15 in December. Again don't have to use it monthly only once or twice a year.. but we have not had any problems with it….

• @tanza:

Again, I use both frontline and/or Advantage on mine and the oldest is 17+ and the youngest will be 15 in December. Again don't have to use it monthly only once or twice a year.. but we have not had any problems with it….

OK, thanks Pat for that info on the age. I need to pick one of them.

• @nobarkus:

OK, thanks Pat for that info on the age. I need to pick one of them.

My pleasure… us with our "elders" need to share all the info we can.... I don't have a preference one over the other, so I think you are OK with either... but like you said, you never know if there is or is not going to be a reaction.. just have to keep an eye on them....

• I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this, but I don't think Senji has ever had fleas. Maybe it's because there are no other animals in the house. Maybe it's because we live in Southwestern PA. In any case, I'd probably stick with a more "natural" remedy for fleas due to his age and liver disease. I've actually seen mosquitoes land on him and take off a second later. They must not like his B.O. :rolleyes:

• We are in Florida and some years fleas are terrible in the summer. We use either Advantage or Frontline when we start to see a few fleas, and re-apply when we start to see fleas again, usually about every 6 weeks through the summer and fall. I have used it on an 18 year old with no problems. I feel that the problems fleas can cause outweigh the occasional use of a fairly benign chemical, and certainly keep the dogs more comfortable!

If we lived where fleas were not a big problem, I would try some of the more natural remedies.

Anne in Tampa

• @MacPack:

We are in Florida and some years fleas are terrible in the summer. We use either Advantage or Frontline when we start to see a few fleas, and re-apply when we start to see fleas again, usually about every 6 weeks through the summer and fall. I have used it on an 18 year old with no problems. I feel that the problems fleas can cause outweigh the occasional use of a fairly benign chemical, and certainly keep the dogs more comfortable!

If we lived where fleas were not a big problem, I would try some of the more natural remedies.

Anne in Tampa

You have an 18 year old? Wow how is he or she doing? I had a Tri color many years ago live to be 17-1/2.

Suggested Topics