• Hi,

I am Sarah. I live near Dallas Texas and I am looking for a puppy. I joined the forum to help find a pup near here. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

• Here is a link to Basenji club of America member breeders (the National parent club), but you should still do research yourself and ask the right questions..
    http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm

Please go to this link to learn questions on finding a responsible breeder that health tests "before" breeding a litter and will be there for you for life with your pup…

http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/selectbreeder.html

Most important is Fanconi DNA Testing

• Welcome to the forum!

Browse around the forum to gather up a lot of information on taking the plunge for a Basenji pup. Tanza's links will aide you well.

And also please consider adopting a Basenji from BRAT

If you are resolved on a puppy they often have some, but also think of the joys of having a already trained adult dog ! 🙂

• Thanks for all the help! I have considered a rescue but I am a little hesitant to because I don't know how they were raised before us, and what their problems were that caused them to be given up. I know a puppy will be a lot of work and that B's are a handfull. I would love to skip the house training and destructive puppy stage if we could find a young adult that fits our family.I know, asking for a lot, right?

• @sarahb:

Thanks for all the help! I have considered a rescue but I am a little hesitant to because I don't know how they were raised before us, and what their problems were that caused them to be given up. I know a puppy will be a lot of work and that B's are a handfull. I would love to skip the house training and destructive puppy stage if we could find a young adult that fits our family.I know, asking for a lot, right?

Regardless if you get a puppy or an adult, they all come with "Baggage"
    New puppies had the "leaving" the litter baggage, along with house training, etc… Rescues have baggage as they are being rehomed and they don't understand the reason why....

Just depends on what you are comfortable with... puppy or adult...

If you go the puppy route, please go to a responsible breeder that health tests before breeding... do your own research to verify what they are telling you, learn about Basenji health concerns...

If you go the rescue route, consider that if from BRAT, you will want to DNA test for Fanconi

• @sarahb:

Thanks for all the help! I have considered a rescue but I am a little hesitant to because I don't know how they were raised before us, and what their problems were that caused them to be given up. I know a puppy will be a lot of work and that B's are a handfull. I would love to skip the house training and destructive puppy stage if we could find a young adult that fits our family.I know, asking for a lot, right?

Sarah, I have fostered 3 dogs through BRAT. 2 that I am fostering now. The only reason these last 2 were given up was because the owner didn't have time for them. They are the sweetest things. I definately understand you wanting a puppy, but there is something to be said about a dog that is already housebroken 🙂

• Welcome to the forum!!

We are all willing to help… but when you have your pup.. we want pics in return.. 😉

• Ohhhh… the joy:D (& the sleepless nights of) new puppy parenthood!!! But I wouldn't have traded it for the world. Then again, I might have traded the long process of house-breaking.:( Anyways, I wish the best for you in your hunt for your new family member! In fact I am a little jealous...;) Is this going to be your first dog or have you been "owned" before???

• One good thing about BRAT is that these dogs are evaluated during their time with the foster parents. If you look on the website you will get a pretty good idea of each of the dog's personalities. They tell you if they are good with children, cats, other dogs. They tell you if they are hyper or laid-back and any special qualities or traits. They will even tell you what kind of home may be best suited to the dog. You are given as much history as is available about them, including any health conditions.

Suggested Topics