Hello again… long time, no "see".

• Hi, and welcome back. Since you have been gone there is new testing for Fanconi, being no blood taking, just a swab inside the mouth. You should register with the Canine Phenome and go from there. I sent my baby's blood in before this swab testing and found she is probably affected. I am so sad, but glad also I start strip testing this month, she will be 3 in Jan. I am glad to know really because I know what to look for and I will get her the best care possible if she does indeed get this dreaded disease of Bs. So my advice is to be safe than sorry, get her results of the swab testing. I love my Sahara so much that I was depressed for months, but I am glad now that I know. Basenji blessings are coming your way from Sahara and me.:D

• To register with the Canine Phenome Project go to their website at, http://www.caninephenome.org/

To order the test kit go to the OFA website, https://secure.offa.org/cart.html

• I plan to do this and have just heard of it recently. I will be devastated if she is a carrier.:( I don't know if I can handle that knowledge, but on the other hand… Not knowing is difficult, too.😕 How much does the new swab test cost??? Also, I got wind there may be a newer test becoming available. Is this true or rumor?:rolleyes:

• @bellabasenji:

I plan to do this and have just heard of it recently. I will be devastated if she is a carrier.:(

Carrier means that she will not develop Fanconi but could possibly produce it if bred. Has Bella produced any puppies?

• No, even though I am a first time dog owner I did know immediately she had a luxating patella by her gate. Even though no one else saw it at first. The second vet confirmed it. I knew this meant I would never have puppies from this one. If I had decided to persue breeding I would have done more testing for diseases by now. I would love someday to breed but I'm not sure my hubby would be in with that. I am hoping that the breeding of these dogs can be opened up with some new african stock to reduce the occurance of hereditary diseases. I have been made a "dog person" (formerly avid cat fancier) by this beautiful Basenji!:D

• I would love someday to breed but I'm not sure my hubby would be in with that. Ooops, I mean breed Basenjis!!! LOL

• @bellabasenji:

I plan to do this and have just heard of it recently. I will be devastated if she is a carrier.:( I don't know if I can handle that knowledge, but on the other hand… Not knowing is difficult, too.😕 How much does the new swab test cost??? Also, I got wind there may be a newer test becoming available. Is this true or rumor?:rolleyes:

The newer test is the Swab test, it was just released in September.

The cost is 65.00 for the Swab kit and the test. You do need to register her on the CPP site as noted by lvoss's note above.

And as Robyn pointed out, if a Carrier, she will not develope Fanconi, only if she comes back as Affected

• @bellabasenji:

I have been without my computer for quite a while now. I sure do miss talking to all my basenji friends! 😃 I hope all is well with everyone as it has been with us.
    My Bella will soon be three years old and calming down a bit… (as much as can be expected with a Basenji). I am becoming aware of how age is important in testing for Fanconi... I had the vet check a couple of times to date, but now I will be doing it myself monthly since she is three. Keep us in your thoughts, I have a paranoia about this milestone in age and possible Fanconi in the future since I don't know much about the other dogs in her line and if they are affected. Please forgive me for rambling on, but I love her so much and can't stand to see her not well.:(
    Okay, another question before I go: 😕 Does anyone know of or are owned by any of the following Basenjis... Ma Bella De Oklahoma, Nala VI, Tutter Egyptian Print (poss. siblings of hers); or WL's Alex and KKDK Jamin Jo (her parents).
    I would greatly appreciate any information as to their whereabouts. Thank you in advance for your help... I am so glad to be back with the group!:)

You can check out Sally W's pedigree data base (www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com) I see that Tutter Egyptian Print is there, showing MBella De Oklahoma, Nala VI and Bella Bambino Biamondi as her littermates. Both on the top (Sire's side of the pedigree) and bottom (Dam's side of the pedigree) sides of the pedigree there is Fanconi back in the pedigree (on the top the dog that goes back to Hofer dogs (Hofer Pete and Hofer Skippy) and on the bottom the dogs that go back to Kazor dogs)

And I know that this will make some on this list "not happy" but 99% of the pedigree is what I would consider a Backyard Breeder with no health testing. So you would be very wise to do the DNA Fanconi test so that you know where you stand.

• Yes, Zande is what I referenced when I found her "littermates" but Bella was born 12/27/05. The birthdate of her siblings shown on Zande is 11/28/06. I also know that the breeder was someone by the name of Timmons… I know more than most people who did not buy directly from a breeder, but it is still sketchy. I have the papers I was given when I got her and I know for a fact that the parents are Alex and Jo. I would love to get in touch with any of her siblings or parents owners... but I know it might be difficult to find them. I even researched extensively online when I first got her and I think Alex may have been sold at an auction, so God only knows where he is and what kind of life he may lead... I used to know where Bella was born, but I forgot and will have to re-research that!

• Mind you, Bella was a surprise birthday gift from my husband. He wanted a boxer, but I wanted a smaller dog (he said he wasn't getting either). He went to a pet store:( and saw my girl… and fell in love with her!:eek: He arranged everything and proceeded to tell me we were going out and it was a surprise for my birthday. He blindfolded me🆒 and took me there and I didn't know where I was going until I walked into the store. I was asked to guess what my present was... then told to close my eyes while they got her. I didn't know until they put her in my arms who my sweetie girl was going to be.:D How could I resist this beautiful little Basenji baby bundle of joy! I never even imagined it would be a Barkless African dog. I don't approve of puppy mills or encourage them, "backyard breeders" either. But at that very moment these thoughts were further in the back of my mind:rolleyes: ...

Suggested Topics