• Hi all. This is my first topic here!

Today a BRAT volunteer did a home visit, and I think all went well. It was a really short visit–much shorter than it could/should have been, because the volunteer came at an unexpected time -10 minutes before I had to go to work..confusing because we had not agreed on that time, and my application said my work schedule. We had arranged to meet at 10AM on Wednesday, but on Tuesday night, he emailed me saying that he could not meet on Wednesday, and asked whether Thursday was OK. I told him that any time on Thursday was good. At around 3pm on Wednesday, right before taking a shower to go to work, I checked my email, and saw that he was on his way unless I called and told him I could not. Nobody answered the phone. It was too late to call in at work, and I wasn't able to call him and tell him to turn around and stop driving. So we had a VERY VERY brief meeting that did not answer many questions!

My boyfriend and I would like to foster. We don't have experience with basenjis, and would like to see what we can handle before jumping into adopting. We also are concerned that at this time, we can't afford to adopt. The idea of nurturing a possibly maltreated, uncertain dog into one that's adoptable sounds rewarding.

The home visit was so short that I'm not even sure if we were approved, if we were supposed to fill out papers..what the process of finding the right foster is like--whether we can choose from a list of needy basenjis or if BRAT decides which dog is best for us.

I feel that the home visit was so short that we were not able to discuss what kind of dog we are best suited for, and ask questions.

What happens after a home visit?

Also, I noticed that the BRAT site lists characteristics of adoptable dogs, and that the dogs are mostly strip tested for Fanconi. Is there a reason why the adoptable dogs are not DNA tested instead/as well? I think that if I wanted to adopt, I'd prefer to know whether my dog was likely to get Fanconi. Maybe I'm just confused about the whole DNA test/strip test/ Fanconi thing...I'm really new to basenjis. Just been obsessed with reading about them and watching videos of them...it's kind of a strange obsession.

Good night all.

Amanda

• You should contact BRAT again. Ask them more of your questions. Or contact your volunteer and ask them to re-do the home visit and perhaps bring their dog along. Be certain this is for you before anything else happens. 🙂

• My fosters are able to take in or refuse to take in a basenji, they have the final say.
    We give them the good and bad info on b's and let them decide if they are up for this dog.
    Also, the person doing the home visit can't tell you if your approved.
    They can only fill out the info on the form and send it on.
    Others make that decision.
    But I am sure you will be hearing from someone soon.
    So, you can have your questions answered then.
    Thank you for offering to opening your home to a basenji in need.

• I am sorry that your homevisit was so rushed and that you did get to really talk about the breed and about expectations with the person doing the home visit.

Have you ever visited a breeder or basenji owner's home to see what a household with basenjis is like? I always recommend seeing them in a home setting before bringing one home.

@amanda:

Also, I noticed that the BRAT site lists characteristics of adoptable dogs, and that the dogs are mostly strip tested for Fanconi. Is there a reason why the adoptable dogs are not DNA tested instead/as well? I think that if I wanted to adopt, I'd prefer to know whether my dog was likely to get Fanconi. Maybe I'm just confused about the whole DNA test/strip test/ Fanconi thing…I'm really new to basenjis. Just been obsessed with reading about them and watching videos of them...it's kind of a strange obsession.

This has been discussed before. BRAT's policy is to not do the DNA test because it may decrease the adoptability of the dogs if they test Probably Affected. Many BRAT members disagree with this policy and think that telling people that the dog is negative for Fanconi is misleading since many adopters do not know the difference between a negative strip test and having DNA marker results.

• And that a negative strip test is only good for the day it was done. As lvoss states there are many people that belong to BRAT that believe that DNA should be done, however this was/is the policy BRAT has decided to follow.

• We recently had a very good experience working with our local BRAT rep. After the passing of our last Basenji we knew that we would rescue another. We decided to volunteer with BRAT and knew that we might end up with an abused or neglected or unhealthy dog. You might be in for a lot of work but it is very satisfying and a good way to see if you are a Basenji kind of person. We are very fortunate here in the northwest to have Sharron as our rep. She will be a great resource for your rescue/BRAT questions. We will keep our fingers crossed for you.

• Grin, blush.
    THANK YOU.
    I am very lucky to have lovely homes like yours to put damaged animals into.
    So many hard working BRAT folks back east have just so many dogs and the foster home issue is a BIG problem.
    So, major BRAT ad here, delete if you don't want to read it, if you think you can foster a basenji, for a few days, for a week, whatever, please do go to the BRAT Site and fill out an adoption ap with the note, wish to foster.
    I do think you will be hearing from someone shortly.
    Again, I know there will be those of you who didn't, who didn't like BRAT or didn't have a happy experience.
    BUT again, we are all non paid, working for the good of the b's we love and so, please understand, "things" do happen…I am sorry if they happened to you...but we do an awful lot of good for an awful lot of dogs.
    Rescue can't happen with a lot of hands helping.
    Hugs to you all who do.

• I have had many good experiences with BRAT. I am picking up an 8 months old puppy to foster on Sunday! Wish me luck, this is the youngest dog I've ever had!! And I will post pictures once i get the little guy here!

• Hey Sarah, I am glad you could get that little boy. It is the tri right? I would have taken him if there was no other option but a second foster may be too much. Enjoy!!

• Good for you, taking this pup in.
    Your in for an interesting time!

• @dash:

Hey Sarah, I am glad you could get that little boy. It is the tri right? I would have taken him if there was no other option but a second foster may be too much. Enjoy!!

i think i recall them saying he's a tri.. but i'm not sure.. i will find out on sunday!

how is your current foster going? is he/she posted on the website?

• no, she's not posted. Hopefully soon. Ann has been very busy with a few transports. I am sure she will be up in the next few days.

We got an email from Liz that there is a 10 mo old at the shelter here in franklin county. We will get her tomorrow. I am a little nervous having 4 dogs in this house but she will probably run around with our other foster. Dash has gotten pretty laid back this last year so I think he will like a break. I am not sure where Ern and I will sleep though. 🙂 We will see.

• @dash:

no, she's not posted. Hopefully soon. Ann has been very busy with a few transports. I am sure she will be up in the next few days.

We got an email from Liz that there is a 10 mo old at the shelter here in franklin county. We will get her tomorrow. I am a little nervous having 4 dogs in this house but she will probably run around with our other foster. Dash has gotten pretty laid back this last year so I think he will like a break. I am not sure where Ern and I will sleep though. 🙂 We will see.

Thats so nice of you to take another foster! Hopefully everyone will get along and all goes well.. 4 dogs can be a challenge (I am babysitting 2 now, so I currently have 4).. but its fun too.. good luck with the new girl tomorrow!

• We picked up our 4th foster Saturday. A 2 yr old R/W boy. From his paperwork, it appears he may have been kept outside, but I am not positive. He is very timid around my husband which I thought was odd since his owner was a man. He ia a little hand shy as well. He loves sleeping on the bed and as soon as we open the bedroom door he just curls up under the covers.

As a foster parent, I am amazed how adaptable these dogs are. Within 15 minutes he learned how to use the doggie door and realized that he could get on the kitchen table all by himself:D.

He will make a great dog for someone. And I have to say out of the 4 dogs we have fostered, none were aggresive, nasty, "ruined" or any of the sterotypes you think of. One was a puppy mill dog too. I am so glad I made the decision to help this way. That is not to say none of them ever will be but I like my track record!

• Your an angel to do this.
    Re your b being "shy" of your husband…have hubby do only good thing.
    Feed him, take him for walks...play with him and give him treats.
    Your foster will figure out pretty quickly that guys can give good things as well as us girls.

• Kudos to all our great fosters and anyone who is considering fostering! I wish I was able, but our Bella already tortures the two cats enough as it is. Maybe someday after… there are no cats:(... (ours are already ten years old). I have been with BRAT for several years now and live where Basenjis are not all that common, I have only been contacted once way back when I was very new to the group for a transport and wasn't able to go because I just started a new job. Recently I was contacted for possible home visit and then the owner decided not to surrender her Basenji... I am sorry if you were disappointed with the home visit. Maybe if you reiterate your interest in the breed and ask if you could meet with another Basenji owner... I don't know, but I would have tried to spend more time with you. Until then, research this breed more and learn as much as you can. We definitely need more people on our team!!! Even though we sometimes seem like we could do more, you should see how much we actually do!!! It really is amazing how many Basenjis BRAT rehomes every year!

• @sharronhurlbut:

Your an angel to do this.
    Re your b being "shy" of your husband…have hubby do only good thing.
    Feed him, take him for walks...play with him and give him treats.
    Your foster will figure out pretty quickly that guys can give good things as well as us girls.

He is. Last night he gave him some treats. Then the same today. He will also be feeding him most of the time. We had a rough night last night. The foster and Dash got in to a fight. The foster has a bite on his ear but nothing serious. I think it will just take some time for him to realize the house rules. No growling, biting, guarding…etc. He will get it. He is already coming to me when I call him. He was running the other way when I called before so that is an improvement. Baby steps.

• What caused the fight if I can ask?
    food, attention, or they just looked at each other and said, "why are you here"?

There is often a "squabble" or 2 with new dogs..just learning their place.
    Its helpful to know if you can see what triggers it..

Suggested Topics