• I took Shango to Petsmart today to check out the halloween costumes (we're looking for a doggy batman one!) and this woman was there shopping.

She came up to me and praised Shango, told me how beautiful he was and then correctly identified him as a basenji. I was amazed that she knew; not many people guess the breed.

She bends down and is petting him and being really sweet to him and then, without warning pulls on his tail, causing him to yelp and turn away from her.

She looks up at ME like I did something wrong and goes,

"Oh. I thought they were silent."

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was very upset and turned around and left. Poor Shango!

• @AndrewnShango:

I took Shango to Petsmart today to check out the halloween costumes (we're looking for a doggy batman one!) and this woman was there shopping.

She came up to me and praised Shango, told me how beautiful he was and then correctly identified him as a basenji. I was amazed that she knew; not many people guess the breed.

She bends down and is petting him and being really sweet to him and then, without warning pulls on his tail, causing him to yelp and turn away from her.

She looks up at ME like I did something wrong and goes,

"Oh. I thought they were silent."

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was very upset and turned around and left. Poor Shango!

You have got to be kidding??? What a jerk!!!! I agree, poor Shango

• I have had a similar reaction at the dog park, when it really was me that touched Medjai's tail, but he was under the table and I scared the heck out of him so he yelped. Everyone at the table also kind of jumped at the fact that he made a noise, and how odd it was.

• Poor Shango! How rude of that woman. Brady will let out a single bark when startled. BTW, he's a handsome little guy.

• Poor Shango…I know that you were in a pet store but in my opinion its nice to ask before you get "friendly" like that. Too bad she didn't have a tail you could yank on. Indy solves that problem by running away, someone will bend down to pet him and he will dodge their hand and run behind my legs. I just smile and say "He's shy" while I think something nastier.

• omg. how terrible! she had better be glad she didn't do that to MY basenji cause I would have pulled on a few of her limbs and see how silent she could be.. grrrr

• What makes it worse is that there are a lot of basenjis who's tails are curled at the end almost permanently, and it really hurts to try to straighten it.

• @etzbseder:

What makes it worse is that there are a lot of basenjis who's tails are curled at the end almost permanently, and it really hurts to try to straighten it.

Exactly right….. etzbseder..... you are totally right on with that statement

• Yes! I was SO annoyed. I even said something about it to one of the cashiers on my way out.

You can see in this picture how curled his tail is. It's almost wrapped three times:

WHY would she do that?!?!

• Some of mine have fused bones and if someone tried to make their tail truly straight, it would cause broken bones.

All of mine though are used to having their tails uncurled, I do it to all my puppies because I know that many people seem to have a compulsion about uncurling the tails. Nicky, will just drop his tail like he is saying "There, I broke your toy, now what?"

• @lvoss:

…I know that many people seem to have a compulsion about uncurling the tails. Nicky, will just drop his tail like he is saying "There, I broke your toy, now what?"

😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃

• I cannot believe someone actually pulled his tail. That is crazy! What ever happened to manners? Sheesh! She probably wouldn't like it too much if Shango has just walked up & bit her butt! Then you'd probably have a lawsuit actually :p

I never try to uncurl Dallas' tail as it is so tightly curled. He only uncurls it when he is really bothered by something.

• Rude behavior…its everywhere.

• I have a variety a tail curls in the house but even the dogs with the tightest curls learn to allow the tails to be uncurled. Even though it is incredibly rude behavior, many people will just uncurl tails. I started doing it because I was told judges will uncurl tails and you want them to be used to it. I have since learned that all sorts of people will do it and never think that it is rude or might be uncomfortable for the dog. The vet techs at the first vet office I used with Nicky used to do it all the time.

It really does seem to be a compulsion for some people, like they couldn't help themselves.

attachment_p_52631_0_riotail.jpg
    attachment_p_52631_1_riotailuncurled.jpg

• Jack doesn't mind most of his tail being uncurled, until you get to the very end. At the end, he has a little kink in it that won't uncurl.

• No offense but I would of yanked that womans hair. What the heck was she thinking. 😞

Suggested Topics