• I have not posted in a while about Hanna the Portuguese Podengo Grande Smooth that lives in my house with the basenjis. I a couple of weeks - Buster (a male PPGS) will be joining us in the states.

Here are a couple of shots taken by Laurie Erickson.

attachment_t_4530_0_smaller-yet.jpg
    attachment_t_4530_1_happy-face-compressed.jpg

• Very cute. I love the Podengo, they are such a sweet dog. I have a couple friends in France who own the Medio sized ones. I have never seen a Grande in person. I have thought about them as a third dog in a couple years if I don't get another B or an Ibizan Hound. 🙂 Thank you for sharing the photos.

• Steph and Avery in WA also have some Medio's - seems like lots of folks w/ basenjis and Beezers seeme to also like this breed.

Expect to have puppies next summer - maybe.

• @dmcarty:

Steph and Avery in WA also have some Medio's - seems like lots of folks w/ basenjis and Beezers seeme to also like this breed.

Yes… spoken like a "true" breeder.... "maybe"................. 😃

• @dmcarty:

Steph and Avery in WA also have some Medio's - seems like lots of folks w/ basenjis and Beezers seeme to also like this breed.

How are they to live with? Like Basenjis? Do they bark a lot? What do you like, what don't you like?

• Well what is just hysterical is when the B's start howling and she want's to join in - she is deficient in that area but gives it a good shot.

Lots of similar B traits - play taunt is front down bottom up. She is FAST - really really fast. Seems more trainable - taught her to sit in about 5 min. Eager to please - SHE seems to like to be near you. You need a really good sense of humor.

SHE loves everyone human, animal, dog - That said you will note I have put SHE in all caps - since my experience is with one and most of the animals live in packs and aren't family pets - I think the jury is out.

Steph and Avery in the PNW have 3 Wire Mediums now - it's funny I did a judges ed with 2 of them in June and talked about them being reserved, aloof and wary of strangers - and they just wagged wiggled and loved up everyone.

When Hanna barks - it is piercing - she doesn't bark often - mostly for attention. I understand the small (Pequeno) does bark a lot. I think the hardest thing to get used to is with a basenji - you will sometimes get A Bark - it's the sustained that is startling.

There is info posted at these websites if you are interested in seeing more -

www.podengo-pequeno.com and www.podengo-mediogrande.com

• For those who missed the whole why I'm doing this breed anway - I did post on my MIJOKR Basenjis page the why - I am spearheading a recovery and save the breed project for this specific size. As you might expect - I'm in it way deeper than I ever anticipated.

Dealing with breeders who just do things differently in the scope of communication and sharing information has been the most daunting task. Followed closely by the weak dollar - Anyone have a couple thousands of dollars to burn up - we will always take donations 🙂

• @dmcarty:

There is info posted at these websites if you are interested in seeing more -

www.podengo-pequeno.com and www.podengo-mediogrande.com

Those sites were really interesting thanks for posting them. I've been following this since you first had us guess what breed you were importing. Nice to follow the progress! 🙂

Suggested Topics