Our baby might be a daddy soon!

• they give dog's abortions?

• Yes, the vets can terminate a pg for a female when they fix her when she is pg.
    I also think they have a pill they can give a female in the early stages to have her lose the pg…but not sure about the time frame or the effectiveness of it.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Yes, the vets can terminate a pg for a female when they fix her when she is pg.
    I also think they have a pill they can give a female in the early stages to have her lose the pg…but not sure about the time frame or the effectiveness of it.

The pills rarely work …. and honestly, most Vets are against spay/termination unless it is a health issue... but spay for sure immediately after. Remember that 99% of bitches will have a season after whelping within 3 to 4 months...

• @tanza:

There are a few responsible breeders in Hawaii… have you talked to them? Do you want to?

Of course, I have to jump in here. Pkease all remember that I have had, and today have two bitches from John in Hawaii [one down from my own dogs over there].
    Let's get real technical here…. and I am not yelling, I just want this point understood by everyone reading this thread:

THERE IS ONLY ONE 'ACTVE' RESPONSIBLE BASENJI BREEDER IN HAWAII. Period.

There are two 'inactive' breeders [each only had 2 litters in the past 15 years]. Rita moved up to Washington, so only John Gaidos is there now.

Unfortunately, there is a horrid puppy store that imports all breeds from Australia. Basenjis are sold there throughout the year.
    There is one active BYB there, and he breeds regularly.
    NONE of his stock is health-tested.

RESCUE IS A PROBLEM in Hawaii. Don't let the fact that it is remote or a small place fool you…. basenjis also end up in shelters there!

Now that your dog has sired a litter, you NEED to get this testing done.
    Hips can be pre-Limmed. Elbows and Patellas can be done. Thyroid at a year old. Eyes can be done, you will hae ot go to the eye doc there, and it runs $50 for an exam.

If you feel that your dog is of good quality, start doing somethig with him... show him, take him to performance events.... agility, obedience, rally... get him involved with something that can prove his worthiness as a stud dog.

I wouldn't use a dog that did not have heath clearances nor any titles. The dog I am using this year is located in Ohio and I live in Oregon. He is a Dual Champion, as well as having several agility titles and working on his obedience too. This makes a good stud dog.... well titled and passing all health clearances!!

SORRY to be so blunt, but it was the only way that I felt I could get across what I wanted... and what I deem important in a dog and it's use as a stud.

• Thanks Kathy. I am afraid this person has stopped listening.
    Its too bad.

• I'm a little late on this one, but here's my two cents on not neutering a male. Males can also get prostititus. (I think that's spelled right) I had a mini Schnauzer that had it-three times before I finally had the chance to fix him. To the cost of over $1000 each time he got sick before he finally got healthy enough to neuter him. This is a real problem as well.

• With this mind set, the dog NEEDS to be neutered.

Then tested!

• I don't think you will have anyone on this forum disagree with your last post Kathy.

• And I hope that this person reads the post today from the couple in Texas…under the screen name of Porthos and their "opps" breeding

Suggested Topics