• Oh! If I could take another basenji!!!!!

Shango and I spotted Hersey on BRAT. We'd LOVE to take him if we weren't in a small apartment, he looks like such a handsome, wonderful boy!

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/NY/NY-Hershey.asp

• I know! He would be a perfect little boy to my old man, but I don't know how old man would like it. I hate this stage. Blaze is 14, and while he has those puppy-like bursts of speed and energy, (as shown by the tattered remains of a uses tissue on my floor) he is getting old. He can't go running with me past 5 Km, he sleeps all the time, and is bursts of Basenji-ness are so few and far between that I let him take on the tissue, I even bait him with them. I love this geezer dog so much, but I can't help but think of what to do after? Everyone tells me to get a puppy now so that it is imprinted with Blaze's attitude. I had a friend bring her baby shiba inu, and Blaze avoided him like the plague. So I don't want Blaze to feel like he's being replaced.

• @Knipper:

I know! He would be a perfect little boy to my old man, but I don't know how old man would like it. I hate this stage. Blaze is 14, and while he has those puppy-like bursts of speed and energy, (as shown by the tattered remains of a uses tissue on my floor) he is getting old. He can't go running with me past 5 Km, he sleeps all the time, and is bursts of Basenji-ness are so few and far between that I let him take on the tissue, I even bait him with them. I love this geezer dog so much, but I can't help but think of what to do after? Everyone tells me to get a puppy now so that it is imprinted with Blaze's attitude. I had a friend bring her baby shiba inu, and Blaze avoided him like the plague. So I don't want Blaze to feel like he's being replaced.

Kipper… I can relate to you totally.... my OJ will be 17 tomorrow, Mickii was 15 in February and Kristii will be 14 in December... while Kristii and Mickii are still pretty active, OJ is for sure on the down slide of life... There is a window, I am certain that is the best to bring in a puppy... and that is IMO, around the age of 10 or under (depending on the dog). Many times by 12 they are hard of hearing... and usually starting to have movement problems... where a puppy is way to much activity for them.

In my case, I am breeding a litter this Fall, but plan on two puppies, so that they have each other mostly to "play" with... and the elders can "hide" from them...ggg... I don't think that "replacement" is a problem but the problem is that they 1. can't get away as easy from a puppy... 2. It is much more difficult to "relate" to a young dog with energy at 14+... at least in my experience...

• About Hersey… boy you can tell he was from a puppymill situation, just look at those feet.. "flat".. no arch to the toes at all.. that is so telling of a dog that is raised in a cage...

• Andrew, we added our second B a couple of months ago - we're in a 500 sq foot loft. They're always on top of each other so 2 basenjis don't take up much more space than one…:p

Suggested Topics