• Hello everyone,

During my last visit at the vet's last week (to remove nodules), he advised me to try a Dog appeasing homone by means of a DAP collar when I told him how anxious and destructive my B can be if I leave her for short moments. Apparently, it is the hormone bitches give out when they are still looking after their pups and when given to adult dogs, it reassures them and calms their fears, therefore, making them more apt to stay alone!
    Well, after 5 days I have noticed a change, not sure whether it is good or bad, but I am able to leave her easily for 10 to 15 minutes at a time for the moment and she is much calmer in the street. Does anyone know the negative effects of this type of collar? I must say, it has been a relief, especially after her operation!

• I think they are either hit or miss. I know people that have had great success with them (and my vet and the pet store I go to say the same) and also the plug in variety that you put in a room. From talking to my vet, there is no negative affect using them and if they work for you, I'd say use it.

For me, I tried the plug in DAP diffuser and the spray with Ruby when she was here by herself. It made only a slight difference in her separation anxiety but because it helped even a little, I was willing to spend the $25 a month to help her. When Brando came to live here, Ruby no longer had a problem because she had a buddy. However, Brando is a shredder of his bedding. So I tried the DAP diffuser and spray thinking it might help him stop shredding (he's been here since April and I stopped using it in August) and it made no difference. The funny thing was that when I used the spray, it always seemed like he was a little worse with the shredding…might have just been a coincidence, but after a couple of times of worse damage I stopped using the spray all together.

• Thanks for your reply, my vet didn't give me a choice, I had to try the collar and I must say, she is less anxious. The price is about the same in France, so I'll see if it is worth trying another month. Anyway, as long as it can help after surgery, it can only be positive!

• oh oh I want to try one!!
    Christiane - what is it called in French so I can ask my vet for it?

• Hi, it's the same name D.A.P. collar or collier DAP, you can find some info on the net by typing D.A.P. collar. It's worth a try anyway, good luck, if you don't find anything, I'll look it up for you (I have thrown the box away, but the collar is on!)

• @Christiane:

Thanks for your reply, my vet didn't give me a choice, I had to try the collar and I must say, she is less anxious. The price is about the same in France, so I'll see if it is worth trying another month. Anyway, as long as it can help after surgery, it can only be positive!

Your vet gave you no choice?

• @JazzysMom:

Your vet gave you no choice?

No, I am afraid not! Sold me a collar, didn't have the heart to argue as she had just been operated on for nasty looking nodules (results of analysis next week).
    Plus, I didn't know this kind of product existed!

• @renaultf1:

However, Brando is a shredder of his bedding. So I tried the DAP diffuser and spray thinking it might help him stop shredding (he's been here since April and I stopped using it in August) and it made no difference.

So perhaps he wasn't shredding his bedding because he was stressed. He was probably shredding it because it's fun! 🆒

I actually have a plug in that I use when Miss Zest is in season, or if we go somewhere for a few days.

• I keep one plugged in all the time. I have noticed that the furniture gets gnawed on and the dogs are kind of antsy when I forget to get a refill. I also take the plug in to the kennel when I board my dogs. I can't use the collars when the dogs are alone because they have a tendency to chew them off of each other. I don't know about in your area, but I discovered that these products are actually cheaper at the vet's office than in the local feed/pet stores.

• Hmmm…can a person remove a post?

• @agilebasenji:

So perhaps he wasn't shredding his bedding because he was stressed. He was probably shredding it because it's fun! 🆒

Apparently, it is fun! Mine doesn't take the bedding out the door of the crate, she prefers to pull it through the wires and drags the crate halfway across the room. I'm picking my battles with her as she has had a rough life.
    When I say "No.." my girl gives me that wrinkled forehead look as if to say, "whatever…" and goes off to find something else that is entertaining.

Suggested Topics