• I have just thought of this again. I was wondering if any of you have done the AKC DNA parentage kits.

I also would like some advice on how to go about asking a breeder to do this. I really need to get Medjai's parentage determined by DNA and believe that I may have some trouble getting the breeder to do his dogs.

• It is a cheek swab.. so not like having to draw blood samples.. you can at least do Medjai…

The cheek swabs are free... just need to request from AKC... and you can get ones for your breeder... and just deliver them to him.... I would just come out and ask him to do the test... you can prepay for 35.00 or the test is 40.00, and maybe in Medjai case you would be well served to pay for it yourself...

Just a thought

• I have AKC DNA profiles for all of my dogs and with the last litter I had the puppies all profiled before they left for their new homes and plan to continue to do that with my future litters. It is very easy to do. Just a cheek swab and then pop it in the mail. I have used the prepaid swabs but you can also order a free kit and then pay when you submit the sample.

There is a FAQ on the AKC website, http://www.akc.org/dna/dna_faqs.cfm

They also have contact information for their DNA department if you have any other questions.

• Sadly not all breeders are doing this.
    But the informed basenji buyer knows to ask.
    If you were not aware of the test before, well, now you know.
    Next time, it will be one of your first questions for the person you get your basenji from.

• I've looked at that website but still don't understand the reason behind doing this test. It doesn't check for genetic defects just parentage. It seems it undeniably verifies parentage, but isn't that what the AKC registration does? There must be something I'm missing.

• It's for if there is doubt in the paternity of the puppies. Similar to how you can be married with someone who says they've always been faithful, and when there's a kid it doesn't look like the dad at all, you can get a paternity test.

Not very common, by any means, but still useful when needed.

• @wizard:

I've looked at that website but still don't understand the reason behind doing this test. It doesn't check for genetic defects just parentage. It seems it undeniably verifies parentage, but isn't that what the AKC registration does? There must be something I'm missing.

It is to prove parentage… as you could put any name of any dog on a set of papers and sent them it.... which in cases of Puppy Millers and some BYB's that is was was being done..... so the parents were NOT the parents of a given puppy. If you read the minutes each month on the AKC site (Secretary's page) you can see how many litter registrations were reversed "due" to DNA parentage.

Suggested Topics