At the risk of sounding incredibly cheesy

• Why I love my Basenji

I’ve had my basenji rescue dog for 2 years. I have to admit, it wasn’t what I thought it would be.

I hate that he snuggles up so close he almost pushes me off the couch, but I can’t move him because he looks like such an angel sleeping.
    I hate that he looks at me like I’ve lost my mind when I baroo and yodel to try and get him started, because when he does it every once in a while, it is the coolest sound ever.
    I hate that every time my husband comes home he is so happy to see him, no matter how long it has been, because I want to keep his happy tail wagging moments all to myself.
    I hate that a walk that should take an hour takes two, because we stop and smell every flower and watch every squirrel, and play with every child.

Most of all, I hate that it took a one-eared barkless wonder to teach me to sleep deeply, listen closely, take joy from small moments, and to slow down and experience everything.

And that's why I love my dog.

• Amen Robin….they are an amazing experience, and they teach us to really enjoy the small things in life. 🙂

• Beautifully put. 🙂

• so true, beautiful shes teaches me something everyday….
    mostly to clean up my stuff. 🙂

• You're right- I forgot to mention that he taught me to keep the toilet paper behind closed doors…..not sure what life lesson that is....;) 😃

• I agree with all you have said! My basenjis get me out to the dog park almost every afternoon, where we sit and watch beautiful sunsets instead of TV. They are my link to paradise on earth.

Anne in Tampa

• I love this forum. I never knew there could be so many like minded people. Sometimes I feel like the biggest dork on earth… here's my latest.
    I hate that on hikes they either pull me down hill to my death, or walk like they're dieing uphill, right in front of me, so I'm constantly dodging them, but I love that they are a good excuse to get my butt outside & active.

• Wonderfully put sentiments.

• Thanks Andrew– I hate that when I come home tired and sick of people after a long day of being nice and understanding to everyone that I still have to walk the dog... until he jumps up in the air and spins around because he's so happy to see me and so excited about a walk!
    kris

@Andrew:

I love this forum. I never knew there could be so many like minded people. Sometimes I feel like the biggest dork on earth… here's my latest.
    I hate that on hikes they either pull me down hill to my death, or walk like they're dieing uphill, right in front of me, so I'm constantly dodging them, but I love that they are a good excuse to get my butt outside & active.

• I hate that when I'm sick in bed, I still have the house and the dogs to take care of then I realize in between naps that the two of them are acting like perfect angels and are stuck to me like glue like they're trying to make me feel better. It's like they know you need the quiet and comfort they can provide when necessary.

• My favorite is when we come home from a long, hot walk and Tosca sits by me on the couch and falls asleep, with what looks like a content smile on her face! She looks so peaceful, like she just is thinking life is perfect!
    I have tried to get a pic of this, but only could on my phone, and it was way too dark to post. Otherwise when I move to get my camera or even turn it on of course she wakes up! Sometime I will get one though, its a wonderful thing to see, she is actually doing it right now!

Suggested Topics