• Hey Guys,
    I'm a newbie SoCal'er and I'm just getting acustomed to becoming a regular at the beach on the weekends. As I am a new lover of the beach and my basenji, I would like to combine the two.

When chilling and hanging out on the beach, i'd like to have my B, Kaylee, chilling right next to me, but would like to be able to go hands free, having her tied up so she doesn't go wondering.

Are there any "beach gadgets" out there that can dig into the sand that I can attach her leash and/or line to?

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions

• Digging into the sand can be done, I'm sure.

Basenji staying tied to anything vs chewing neatly through any leash ever invented…less likely, in my experience.

I'll be interested to hear what others say. We take our girl to the beach a lot, either to the fenced dog park at one beach or on a leash at another dog beach, and are looking forward to taking our new boy along today.

They're not inclined not inclined to be tied up in any location, though. In fact, my DH wrapped Figi's leash around a table at a restaurant patio last week. She sat neatly next to us the whole time, so we didn't realize until we stood up to leave that she had chewed the lead in half, probably right after we sat down :p

• I would probably just use a long training line (20 ft lead) w/ a carabeiner on the end, loop around a nice heavy solid rock and clip. or bring a cinder block w/ you as a B-anchor?… lol

dogs are allowed on the beaches there??? I'm so jealous!

• @BasenjiByTheBay:

Basenji staying tied to anything vs chewing neatly through any leash ever invented…less likely, in my experience.

LOL - so true! mine's done it to numerous leashes! in the blink of an eye too…

• As for the leashes

Lupinepet.com

1-800-228-WOLF

These people sell collars and leashes that are gaurenteed for life. If the pup chews it you get a new one no questions asked. Not even that much more expensive ours were

$12 - collar
    $15 - leash

• There is an actual leash that comes with a "bolt" like thing that gets buried in the sand - I've been trying to find it online for you but with no luck. But honestly, we tried it and it didn't really help - Seti just got super frustrated because he wanted to run. I highly recommend going to a dog friendly beach that allows them off-leash, such as Huntington Beach. We've also found a couple of spots just past the Ventura County line that seems to allow dogs off-leash.

• p.s. I'm almost certain we got our "beach leash" at Petco.

• @rnasto:

As for the leashes

Lupinepet.com

1-800-228-WOLF

These people sell collars and leashes that are gaurenteed for life. If the pup chews it you get a new one no questions asked. Not even that much more expensive ours were

$12 - collar
    $15 - leash

They will replace them, but our main chewer can still get through one in under 30 seconds if you do not watch her at all times. Even then, when we walk her, she always will reach back and chew hers or the others leashes any chance she can get. Putting Bitter Apple on helps for a while, but by the end of the walk, she will start chewing anyway. We have had 2 replaced so far, so they are true to their word.

• I wouldn't feel comfortable with buring something in the sand cuz i think any B would have no problem pulling it out of the sand I know they do sell a Leash that goes around ur waist i believe it comes in 6ft long but u could always clip a longer one on it .

• I usually take a caribeaner and attach it to the end of the leash, and hook it to my ankle (if sitting), belt loop, backpack, etc… not as good as what you had in mind but it works

• we took olimar to the beach a couple days ago.
    he didn't like the water too much 😕

he was eating the sand though… we went to waikiki where theres a lot of tourist. perhaps if we go to a more secluded beach he'll like it a bit more.

• @phoenix3:

I wouldn't feel comfortable with buring something in the sand cuz i think any B would have no problem pulling it out of the sand I know they do sell a Leash that goes around ur waist i believe it comes in 6ft long but u could always clip a longer one on it .

Tazlab has a leash that you can put around your waist, we have two of them.

http://www.tazlab.com/TL_leashes.htm

• I used one of those giant 'corkscrew' tie-outs at the beach and had 3 attached to it. I put it as deep in the sand as I could get it and it didn't budge…of course the sand was packed, rather than 'fluffy'. Be sure and provide an umbrella for shade, they get hot and like to go in and out of shade. Mine don't like the water, but do enjoy the beach!

Anne in Tampa

Suggested Topics