• Lately I have been taking Jack for long walks (being a city dog, he isn't that used to really long walks- we did 3 miles 4 times last week, yay for the new suburbian neighborhood!) and I have a question- are all squirrels evil, or just Boston ones?

We will walk around the corner, and a squirrel will see us, and move just far enough out of the way that Jack can see it….and could probably catch it if he wasn't on a leash....and sit there and watch us. I swear I can hear the squirrel singing nanny-nanny-poo-poo!

Jack freaks out and pulls and pulls on the leash, until we walk far enough that he forgets about it.

So, what funny things happen to you while walking your bs? Does your b do anything funny on walks? (Jack likes to sniff the flowers, especially Day Lilies and Hostas)

• Boston squirrels sound like they are the same as Maine squirrels. Yesterday though, one almost got what was coming to it. It was sitting hiding in leaves and it was so close that Ruby nearly nabbed him as she saw him way before me and she is SUPER fast. Brando isn't as fast so he wasn't anywhere close enough to get him. It's always fun continuing the walk when they have a close animal encounter (deer, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks). :rolleyes:

However, the best one that happened was last summer when I was running Ruby on my bike. We had gone down the road and were coming back up toward the house (we're going around 12 - 14mph)…and at the end of a driveway a black cat is sitting watching us. Ruby sees the cat, looks at me, looks back at the cat, looks at me, looks at the cat and looks at me one more time...and then keeps running forward. Good girl :D. She knew I wasn't going to stop and at that speed she better not even think of altering course or stopping. I told her "good girl...stupid cat, huh Ru?" 🙂 😃

Oh and another one from last summer that was good was the rabbit that decided it would hop in a straight line up the road instead of going off into the woods...he definitely got Ruby's attention.

• oh I keep meaning to ask people if they have the same experience of squirrel + basenji on leash = DISASTER!!! Zip and Riley are awful. It's bad enough that Riley doesn't know how to walk on lead cuz someone hasn't taught him yet 😞 but both of them FLIP OUT when they see a squirrel and Zip starts making all this racket….ggg. It's been enough for me to cut a walk short. I have no delusions about being able to train that out of them. I mean please, I take them coursing one day and the next I'm scolding them for wanting to get at a squirrel? Riiiiiight.

• My dog will actually watch the tree tops as we walk… yup, you guessed it... for squirrels! he looks a bit silly walking forward while looking straight up. That combined w/ the fact that he's a "boxenji" means he's a 55lb maniac on the end of the leash when a squirrel (or chipmunk, or wild rabbit, or anything small and furry!) is in sight.

• Yeah! Jack does that too! There is one house that we pass that he is always looking straight up….and usually ends up running straight into my legs.

• Here is a story you all will appreciate…
    I was showing Fatia and looking for Majors to get her finished. I was at a show down So. Ca and there was this really nice park close to the motel where we were staying.. so in the afternoon we would go for a nice long walk... I had Kristii with me for company for Fatia.. and both were on Flexi's.. well there were millions of squirrels in that park... and the girl caught sight of one pretty darn close to them... and both took off after the squirrel.. dead ahead was a huge Oak Tree.... YOU guessed it... one went on one side of the tree and one to the other side.... Guess who went "smack" into the tree???

• LOL!! Good story! I imagine you weren't laughing then…. gosh what crazy dogs. When Riley gets all...riled up....his favorite is to run around me in circles so you see my right arm circling over my head again and again and again...lasso style, in fact, so that by the time he's done running I won't have his leash all wrapped around me. And all the while Zip just waits patiently like a good grown up, scoffs, and says "@#$% teenagers!!" under her breath.

• HA! That is freaking hilarious!

I do the lasso leash too…..and I will county myself lucky that I don't have two to run me into a tree, although Jack does a pretty good job of that on his own!

• Abby watches for them on walks but we have a huge privacy fenced in back yard and she will stay outside all day on the deck keeping the house safe from evil illinois squrrels. she does watch the tree tops for them, she has actually caught 2. the first one her and my cat and my other dog cornered right after we put the fence up, the other one she caught from inside the house she saw it in the yard i opened the door and she was gone.

• @tanza:

Here is a story you all will appreciate…
    I was showing Fatia and looking for Majors to get her finished. I was at a show down So. Ca and there was this really nice park close to the motel where we were staying.. so in the afternoon we would go for a nice long walk... I had Kristii with me for company for Fatia.. and both were on Flexi's.. well there were millions of squirrels in that park... and the girl caught sight of one pretty darn close to them... and both took off after the squirrel.. dead ahead was a huge Oak Tree.... YOU guessed it... one went on one side of the tree and one to the other side.... Guess who went "smack" into the tree???

LOL…too funny! 😃

Suggested Topics