• We just called around and there is no vet available at this hour… 10pm

• http://www.hwy29vet.com/emergency_services.html

They are aproximatly 35 miles from you, which I know is a bit of a drive, but their website has info on how to setup an emergency after hours appointment tonight if you need it.

Hope this helps.

• I just found this website, and I don't know how good they are but they do seem to have experts, veterinarians, online and can probably give you better advice then any of us can about what you should be doing for Sheba right now.

http://pets.justanswer.com/?r=ovpet&JCRN=Vets&JCD=20080919&OVRAW=Veterinary%20Emergency%20Services&OVKEY=veterinary%20services&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=41668902011&OVKWID=39904715011

• How is your girl this morning?

• Good Morning Porthos. I hope your night went without incedent. How is SHeba doing this morning?

• Oh goodness…...my heart goes out to you. It must have been a terrifying night....or day.....or however long it has been. I'm sending hugs and love you and your family's way....

• Well, according to my wife, Sheba looks like she has been looking for her babies. We don't think she understands. She has been staying in her room or coming to us for extra attention and love. No signs of labor, no leaking or seeping. we are trying to find a vet that will let me pay them on payday or make payments.
    thanks for the advice and support…

John and Michell

• John, There should be a veterinarian on Fort Hood. Have you tried that vet clinic? I know that the one on Fort Meade has pet care and they do their best to work with us.

• John,

Has she started eating or drinking since last night? Good luck with all of this. I have been thinking about you and Michell and Sheba all day.

Hugz to you all

• Here's the URL for the vet on Ft Hood and their number is (254) 287 - 6719 or (254) 287 - 2823
    http://www.crdamc.amedd.army.mil/vetcom/

Their web page says: Our goal is to provide expedient, friendly, and readily accessible veterinary services to authorized military beneficiaries.

• @Kebasmom:

John, There should be a veterinarian on Fort Hood. Have you tried that vet clinic? I know that the one on Fort Meade has pet care and they do their best to work with us.

As a matter of fact I called them at 9 when they opened and they said that they could not do X-Rays or ultrasounds and I would have to go to someplace off post…

oh, yes, she has been eating and drinking and is currently sleeping on the couch next to me

• How is she doing?… you know it is very important that a bitch be checked after whelping?... and in this case more then a bitch that had a normal delivery with live pups

What I am confused about is that you did say you went to a Vet that said she was fine and so were the pups? Why can't you go back to the same Vet?

Honestly.. and sorry if you think this is being "mean" but you are putting the bitche's life in danger by not having her checked out...

Also, know that they usually have a "puppy season" 4 to 6 months after whelping... live pups or not... and with no live pups, could be even sooner....

• Thanks for this post Pat, I can't get this girl out of my mind either.

• maybe this is a troll….

• @Porthos:

As a matter of fact I called them at 9 when they opened and they said that they could not do X-Rays or ultrasounds and I would have to go to someplace off post…

oh, yes, she has been eating and drinking and is currently sleeping on the couch next to me

I think the information I am about the post will answer some questions. I am going to cross post this in the other thread as well.

Today, I called the Fort Hood Clinic. The woman that answered the phone said they indeed do Xrays. When I specifically asked if they could X-ray a dog prior to delivery? The answer was yes and then I was given information about the proper time within the pregnancy that the clinic would do it. While I did not as about care after birth, it stands to reason that if they are capable and willing to provide proper care prior to birth for the mother and the unborn pups, then they would also provide after care for the birth mother to insure that dogs health.

The bottom line here appears easy to see.

Its very sad and angers me, when a person feels they have to mislead others to cover their own butt! If the other information provided above has been true and accurate, then result is the Female Basenji paid the price for this neglect. Also lets not forget the two Basenji puppies that were born alive but are now dead. I have no idea why proper care and common sense was not used. If you have already witnessed one of the new born puppies losing their life because of the mothers behavior towards it, then common sense would tell you not to put another puppy in harm's way.

Jason

• hmmm…sounds fishy...

Suggested Topics