• Get some raw marrow bones cut into 2-3 in chunks.
    Freeze them and give them to him.
    He will spend hrs, trying to get the marrow out, and won't be able to break off any of the bone.
    at least, my 2 can't…then you stuff the empty bone with cheese, treats, whatever, freeze and start all over again.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Get some raw marrow bones cut into 2-3 in chunks.
    Freeze them and give them to him.
    He will spend hrs, trying to get the marrow out, and won't be able to break off any of the bone.
    at least, my 2 can't…then you stuff the empty bone with cheese, treats, whatever, freeze and start all over again.

Sharron, do you give them to the dogs frozen?

I bought some, on your recommendation 😉 , but have been thawing them before giving them to the dogs. It's kind of a pain, esp. when I forget to thaw them and want to give them one…...

so, giving them to the dogs frozen is okay?

• I give my 2 dogs these bones frozen…takes them longer to get the "goodie" out.

• my dog won't touch a frozen bone, but will lick at a frozen KONG. I use the big black KONG toy - the toughest one (and I'm on a 3rd, they last about a year in our house). I then fill it w/ various foods but you can start w/ bland foods for sensitive tummies… Plain organic yogurt freezes well, even mix in your dog's regular kibble or canned foods. let the dog work at it while it thaws out - the rubbery kong can take quite a chewing. our's only get destroyed when there is something high value inside - like roast beef.

• My 2 b's don't like kongs….
    but maybe if I put toilet paper in them?? laugh!

• Dallas doesn't really like his kong either.

I do as Sharon suggested & buy the marrow bones, freeze them & give him one whenever he is left in his crate for the day. However, Dallas will finish one in a few hours (I'm talking like 2-3 tops). He will knaw on the bone when the marrow is gone but I typically just pick it up & stash it with the rest.

I also often take the bones after he's cleaned the marrow out & put a mixture of kibble & peanut butter inside then freeze it. This is a way that he will sometimes get his breakfast if he is being crated all day. I always come home to find the bone cleaned out & still sitting there, ready for more kibble/PB mixture :p

• @ZenGrrrl:

I tried a Nylabone but he tore off bits and was about to swallow them before I scooped them up.

You must have given him the "flexible" Nylabone. Get the hard kind and he can't chew off bits like that. Hint: Mine love the kind shaped like dinosaurs. You find them in the dental area of pet supply stores or mail order companies. Even with real hard chewers, they have a lifespan of at least several months before they are too small and I throw them away.

I agree with the raw soup bones. Mine love them. And when they get kind of "icky", boil them to sterilize and give them back to the dog.

• Definitely try the harder Nylabones and not the gummy semi see-through kind. Ous love the wishbone shaped ones because they can hold them in their "hands" to get a better angle to chew. You can also try the Gallileo nylabones which are ultra hard. Our basenjis can still make a good dent in them, but they last longer than regular hard ones.

• have you tried out other animal products? Lamb Ears or Rabbit Ears? Ostrich (the big bird) skin and throat…? My B's do not like the cow things a lot, as they have a very loose stomach from it, but the other things are very welcome and also well digested...

Esther

• I also don't give my dogs KONGS unsupervised because Jazzy has chewed the top off when she was younger, leaving big chunks of the rubber everywhere. I'm sure some was ingested.

They make me nervous. I only use those when I'm home with the dogs, and then it's seldom.

• My basenji boy can't handle peanut butter…but Lou husband gets that nasty spray cheese in a can not my fav...and I fill the dogs bones with it and some dry biskets...
    The dogs love it...

Suggested Topics