• Hi all,
    I live in Wisconsin, and the mosquitos are absolutely HORRIBLE this year! Tosca and I have been going for walks, but I am so sick of getting bit up the entire time. I would love to put some mosquito repellant on my arms/legs (I hate the feel of the stuff, but I shower after anyway, so who cares:) )
    However, I am worried about Tosca licking all the repellant off of my legs, as she does with any lotions I put on. Has anyone successfully used mosquito repellant on themselves around the dogs? Is the regular spray ok, or is there something else I can try?
    Also, for Tosca, she is on heartguard and frontline…if the mosquitos are getting her as well, is this ok? She did great on the stuff last year, but there were just a fraction of the mosquitos we have this year. I noticed little pimply bumps on her that are the bites, but they are not swollen and don't bother her. I assume we are fine, but just wanted to make sure.
    Thanks for any advice as to what I can do for repellant for myself...I am hopefully going to try a walk in an hour or so, so if anyone has any good suggestions of a product I will run to the store first! (although I only have Dollar GEneral and a grocery store in my small town, lol)
    Thanks!

• They say that Avon Skin So Soft works well as a repellant, I have not used it as they are usually not bad here in No. Cal… but many swear by it

• Thank you…I think I will try ordering some...in the meantime, do you think my basenji will try to lick the "regular" mosquito repellant off my legs? I want to try it, cause it really does work, but first and foremost I don't want to make her sick...

• Everything I tried on the dogs gives them diarrhea when they lick it off. I was told just today to mix listerine with water (3:1) in a spray bottle and spray it directly on the dog, avoiding the eyes of course. It would seem to me the smell alone would deter the dogs from licking it off. I just wonder if the smell would prompt the "put your little B. butt in the air, lay your front end down and scoot your face back and forth against the carpet" reaction, or the "dive head first into my blanket on the dog beg and rub my face around, this is sooooo much fun to have something stinky on my head" routine.

I live close to Lake Michigan, in between the major wetlands restoration projects, so the mosquitos are horrendous. (They don't 'mosquito donut' in my area because of egret and heron nestings and rookeries)

I saw a suggestion of Neem oil on line. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks Jylly for posting this. Any advice is greatly appreciated from northern IL as well.

• Listerine is an old time grooming trick for showing and getting rid of the dander… Never really noticed if it was any good for bugs.....

• @Jylly18:

Hi all,
    I live in Wisconsin, and the mosquitos are absolutely HORRIBLE this year! Tosca and I have been going for walks, but I am so sick of getting bit up the entire time. I would love to put some mosquito repellant on my arms/legs (I hate the feel of the stuff, but I shower after anyway, so who cares:) )
    However, I am worried about Tosca licking all the repellant off of my legs, as she does with any lotions I put on. Has anyone successfully used mosquito repellant on themselves around the dogs? Is the regular spray ok, or is there something else I can try?
    Also, for Tosca, she is on heartguard and frontline…if the mosquitos are getting her as well, is this ok? She did great on the stuff last year, but there were just a fraction of the mosquitos we have this year. I noticed little pimply bumps on her that are the bites, but they are not swollen and don't bother her. I assume we are fine, but just wanted to make sure.
    Thanks for any advice as to what I can do for repellant for myself...I am hopefully going to try a walk in an hour or so, so if anyone has any good suggestions of a product I will run to the store first! (although I only have Dollar GEneral and a grocery store in my small town, lol)
    Thanks!

Jilly with all the flooding, we ran into similiar problems at the park we walk Roo in. We use Deep woods off but we do not let the dogs lick us and try to shower as soon as we are done walking. So far so good.

Roo was chasing his tail trying to keep them from bitting him. So we made the decision to try Advantix. We are concerned about ticks as well. Although my Vet is not crazy about us using Advantix, so far we have been ok.

If you have cats you might not want to use it. Also keep an eye on your dog for a couple of days to make sure he is ok if you choose to go that route.

Jason

• I actually found some bug spray made esp. for dogs to repel mosquitoes and other bug beastlies at pet smart. Mica doesnt like being sprayed but it seems to cut back the swarming. I actually forgot the dog bug spray in a most recent walk with her and used my own regular bug spray on me than sprayed a little on the fur on her haunches and her cute little behind too, than sprayed some more on my hand and rubbed her fur on the sides but didnt do the front end of her. We walked pretty quickly through the woods part into the field part where there are less bugs. The bugs are swarming her in WI and one darn't even go outside in the woods without thinking of protection. They are relentless! Ive never worried about doggie mosquito spray with dogs to any great extent but this year they are nasty…
    I than gave her a brushing at home and cleaned her with a soft wipe at home. It seemed to do ok for the moment but next time Ill use the doggie bug spray I got at pet smart.
    BaMicas Mom

• They're bad here in Minnesota too – I took EL D camping a couple of weeks ago (he insisted on staying in the tent whenever we were in camp) and he developed some mosquite bite lumps. They went away pretty quick but still I used some "Itch Stop" from DrsFoster&Smith (doggy version of hydrocortisone) on him but that's an after-the-fact relief. I would spray myself with deet-containing spray but made sure not to let him lick me until I could wash it off (not a problem when we were walking).
    BaMica, do you remember the name of the doggy bug spray you found?

• I have heard that basil is good for repelling mosquitos but haven't tried it. Wondering: If I infused some olive oil with basil and used that, would other dogs think he was a salad? 😃

• I use a natural product called Flea the Scene…as an insect repellent for the pups and me...definitely keeps the bugs off us pretty well. A lot of the non-chain pet stores sell it locally. I spray it on my hands and then rub it on both Ruby & Brando's ears...but I spray it on them everywhere else. Around here, the only time the mosquitos are bad is if the air is still, so that is the only time I use it. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

I found a like to a website online that carries it...never bought from there, but here it is in case you want to read about it...
    http://www.puplife.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/3446691/vpcsid/0/SFV/32255

• Equyss marigold spray. I use it on myself, Blaze, and my horse. It's all natural, smells great, is not sticky, and is so gentle I can spray it anywhere! I works great, and keeps not only the mosquitos, but also black flies, wasps, bees, etc

• Even more interesting….

DISCLAIMER:
    Not sold in the state of California

• The bug spray for dogs I got at petsmart was …. is Mosquito Halt. It was on sale but the bugs are so bad here I deceded to get some bug soray for Mica.

BaMicas mom

Suggested Topics