• Hi, I just recently discovered this place while browsing info for basenjis, so I've finally joined. I have one basenji, Charlie, who's going on 8 months old and he's a tri-color.

He enjoys stealing my socks and hiding them, as well as chewing on slippers πŸ™‚

• What a cutie! Who is his breeder?

• He is lovely, I am a tri lover πŸ˜‰

• What a face! He's adorable.

• He is certainly a handsome boy! I love the first photo πŸ™‚ It's amazing how they can sleep so stiff legged!

• Welcome to the pack. What a cute boy you have there. πŸ™‚

• He's from a reliable breeder in Colorado, because unfortunately we didn't find any nearby basenjis in my area.

And thanks for all the comments πŸ˜ƒ

• @Bellsenji:

He's from a reliable breeder in Colorado, because unfortunately we didn't find any nearby basenjis in my area.

Is he from Phil?

• Please be sure that if you pup's parents have not been tested using the DNA Marker Test for Fanconi that you have your pup tested.

• hello and welcome to the forum! Your tri-boy looks very cute πŸ˜ƒ

• @Bellsenji:

He's from a reliable breeder in Colorado, because unfortunately we didn't find any nearby basenjis in my area.

Can you name the breeders? We like names around here πŸ˜ƒ .

So many of our dogs are related, it's fun to track the family trees!:)

• Here is the Fanconi link for the DNA test and how to get it done.

http://www.basenjihealth.org/linkage-faq.html

• Yes, Phil's the one. πŸ™‚

We haven't gotten him Fanconi tested yet, because a site said that you won't be able to know for sure until they are 3 years of age (?)
    If thats false then we'll get him tested immediatly.

• This group is going to be a great asset to you and your lovely tri.
    Welcome.

• Before we had the linked marker test, all an owner or breeder could do was strip test their dog's urine for glucose monthly after the age of 3 years old and hope that the dog never became symptomatic. Responsible breeders tracked their puppies and their health so they knew what they were producing, they used older stud dogs, and they shared their information with people who had related dogs. When a researcher expressed an interest in working with the basenji community, the responsible breeders who had been hit with Fanconi in their lines stepped up and donated their dogs' blood for the DNA databank and supplied thorough health information and pedigree information their dogs. This resulted in a family group of over 200 dogs that allowed the researchers to locate a marker for the disease. Thanks to the now thousands of samples that the researchers have, they continue to narrow in on the gene and we will hopefully have a direct gene test in years to come.

The DNA Marker Test was released on July 17, 2007 so all basenji breeders could use the test prior to the 2007/2008 breeding season so no basenji puppy need be born affected by this disease. Though the basenji community has done a lot to get the word out, many websites, and posts on email lists and this forum, there still is a lot of misinformation out there. The DNA Marker Test can be done as soon as a puppy can be give 3 cc's of blood. The results of the DNA Marker Test are publicly available so anyone considering purchasing a puppy can check if the parents or puppy has been tested by typing in the name or registration number of dog of interest into the OFA search engine, http://www.offa.org Not only does the OFA database show that the dog was tested but the date the test was run and links to parents, siblings, and offspring if tested.

• To get your boy DNA tested go to www. basenjihealth.org You need to register your boy on the CPP site (that is free) and all the information is there for how to do the DNA test and get the sample sent to U of Mo. There is no other place in the US that does the DNA test at this time, so other than your Vet drawing the blood, that is all your Vet can do.

I do know that as of right now, Phil has not DNA tested his breeding dogs, so the sire and dam of your pup has not been tested.

• There re 4 classes the test show
    Clear
    carrier
    affected
    oops, and underminded..
    That is the info you need to know.

• @sharronhurlbut:

There re 4 classes the test show
    Clear
    carrier
    affected
    oops, and underminded..
    That is the info you need to know.

The 4th catagory is Indeterminate
    The INDETERMINATE means it is between a Clear and a Carrier… which in any case until there is a direct test, that Basenji should be considered a Carrier in any breeding program.

• Oops, I knew that and just forgot the fourth category. For breeding purposes breeders should be treating Indeterminate dogs as Carriers. For pet owners the important information is that an Indeterminate won't become affected.

• Tanza, laugh,
    I should never try to type when hubby is wanting dinner on the table.
    THANK you for the correction.

Suggested Topics