• If you know the parents' names or registration numbers you can check for yourself at http://www.offa.org Since you were told the parents were "negative", I would bet they have only been strip tested monthly which does not mean they could not produce an affected offspring. The DNA Marker test gives one of three results Probably Clear, Probably Carrier, and Probably Affected. If a puppy has at least one Probably Clear parent then it can not be Affected.

• @roxygirl:

I'll have to ask. I was told that they were tested and negative. Thanks.

And if they have not been DNA tested for Fanconi and I would agree with lvoss, they were most likely only strip tested that would show they are not spilling sugar on that day, it really would be the best thing you could do, to find out your pups status….

• I agree, all b's should be tested so the owners know the issues that can happen to the dogs that they love, and prepare for the future.
    Knowledge is power and this can give information and comfort, depending on your results.
    Its worth every penny they charge.. IMO.

• RE: urine testing Do I need strips specific for dogs or can the strips used by humans be used? And if so, is the an upper limit of normal for glucose? Or is any glucose abnormal?

• I will follow up re: DNA testing.

• You need to get urine glucose test strips like Diastix. No amount of glucose in the urine is normal Any color change would be indicative of a health issue, either diabetes or Fanconi.

Since your pup is only 6 months old though, there is no need to begin strip testing until 3 years of age. It is much better to get the DNA test done now so you know what is in store for you in the future.

• You can read about Fanconi on the BCOA site, www.basenji.org and other Basenji health concerns… we should never forget that we have Eye problems, hip problems, patellas, thyroid.... and why health testing before breeding is so important.. IMO

• you will find out that you have to do things for your basenji. you are their maids and not their owner.

• Oh believe me! I've figured out who is in charge. We are doing well, though. I'm a schedule person and I've got Roxy on a sort of schedule. Of course it involves when she eats, and when she plays, and when she goes to the dog park, and when she gets treats and lastly, when she goes to bed. Now that I think about it…... I think she has me on a schedule!

• hey roxy, im also a first time b and dog owner….. Ive learned so much i the last 15 months ive had her!!!! so funny isnt it!

kiro kept peeing on my bed for about 9 mths she would just run up and pee...!!! I made uit a habit to take her out EVERY hour on the hour when i was home with her (crate at day aswell) if she didnt potty right away she went back intothe crate until i nknew her blatter ewas empty (on i cant take another accident days)

For training, start with hand jestures.... they understand you most with your body language and tone... so watch what your doing with your hands and maybe use a CLICKER. kiro does alot of tricks..... all clicker trained... we just keep adding on new ones. 🙂

let me know if i can help at all.... most things are very fresh on my mind. 🙂 and if you get any good tidbits pass em on!

• Ok now comes the story about Missy. Missy would destroy things around the house, get into the garbage, chew on socks and underwear. Mom would punish her , tell her she was bad, and Missy would go pout. Mom would have to leave her bedroom door shut for a week or Missy would go in and pee on Mom's side of the bed, but never Dad's side. who was punishing who?:p

Suggested Topics