• Is there a site where breeders list their 'senji results for the Fanconi markers?
    Perhaps a genetic web page for pet owners that want to know the markers of the Dam and Sire/Granddam-Sire? (I think the breeders have a grape vine of gossip that includes this info already–perhaps I'm wrong--but us pet owners are not privy to that info.)

I'd like to start with SOLID genetic information and have some background to send with the blood sample to Columbia.

Please advise.

• the OFA page

• @snorky998:

Is there a site where breeders list their 'senji results for the Fanconi markers?
    Perhaps a genetic web page for pet owners that want to know the markers of the Dam and Sire/Granddam-Sire? (I think the breeders have a grape vine of gossip that includes this info already–perhaps I'm wrong--but us pet owners are not privy to that info.)

I'd like to start with SOLID genetic information and have some background to send with the blood sample to Columbia.

Please advise.

Fanconi results are automatically posted at www.offa.org. It is on an open data base. All Basenjis that have been tested are there (right now 1700)

You can search the database by first clicking Basenji as the breed and then Fanconi and you will get all 1700. If you then click the dog's name you will be taken to their OFA record and any other tests (like hips, thyroid, eyes, elbows, etc) that have been done will be shown there along with sire/dam/offspring/siblings. And you would not send any background with the sample, you just need to register (it is free) your Basenji on the CPP site. When the results are done, they will automatically be posted on OFA.

• The samples are submitted to the University of Missouri. There are several surveys that they have owners fill out through the CPP website so they can have health information on the basenji samples being submitted.

If you would like to look up testing information, you can do so by the method decribed by Pat or type the name of the dog you are looking for into the search box. If they have an OFA record it will come up.

• Orthopedic Foundation of America? Sorry I can't make the connection.

• Sorry, the website for OFA, Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, is http://www.offa.org

The website for the Canine Phenome Project which you must register for to submit a sample is http://www.caninephenome.org

• Here is the link to Katie's sire's page. He has already been tested and is Probably Clear.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=718535#animal

• Thank you for the information. That's an amazing data base.

I do have a couple of questions. When a dog is tested, can the owner request the Fanconi information be withheld from the data base online?

The reason I ask is that I see many dogs with hip and cerf info, but not Fanconi. Which brings up my next question. Do you think many breeders that know they have a positive dog intentionally keep them off the list, and continue to breed?

No offense intended to anyone here.

• I'm sure it is possible to request that it be withheld, but the reason for what you see is that many people have gotten other OFA database tests done, but have not yet done the fanconi test. There may also be the time delay because it takes longer for the University to get around to testing all the Fanconi requests than it does for the rest of the tests.

I highly doubt that anyone would keep a positive dog off the list just to breed, but I guess it is possible.

• Fanconi DNA test can NOT be withheld. Period… it is not optional. If the dog/bitch is not on OFA, it has NOT been tested.

• Thank you for the correction, I apparently was not that sure. I'm also not sure that more than maybe like 5 people have even tried.

• @etzbseder:

Thank you for the correction, I apparently was not that sure. I'm also not sure that more than maybe like 5 people have even tried.

Tried what? If you remember the submission form for Fanconi, it clearly states the results will be posted on the open datebase of the OFA site. On the forms like for hips there is an option to not post the results (which I think is wrong… all health tests should be publicly posted)

Here is the statement from the Fanconi form about OFA and you have to sign this or they will not do the test

OFA DATABASE CERTIFICATION
    I hereby certify that the sample submitted was of the animal described on this application. I authorize the OFA to
    release all information on the test results, thus placing the results into the public domain, and I hereby release
    OFA from any and all liability associated with the release of test information.
    Signature of owner or authorized representative ___________________________________________________

• Oh, I'm just sure that some people have tried to contact the university to see if they could not get the results posted.

This is one place where we do agree well. I also think that the tests should all be made public.

• @snorky998:

Thank you for the information. That's an amazing data base.

I do have a couple of questions. When a dog is tested, can the owner request the Fanconi information be withheld from the data base online?

The reason I ask is that I see many dogs with hip and cerf info, but not Fanconi. Which brings up my next question. Do you think many breeders that know they have a positive dog intentionally keep them off the list, and continue to breed?

No offense intended to anyone here.

The results for Fanconi cannot be with-held, but it's a relatively new test and I'm sure there are many breeders who either have not tested for it yet….. or are not planning to because they know the results will not be good. Those are the breeders to avoid like the plague!.
    If I were looking for a puppy now, I'd only buy from one whose testing has definitely been done and posted.

• But on the other hand from around the world there are 1700 Basenjis that have been tested, so for most of the responsible breeders testing is being done. And just on peer pressure, breeders that "might" be afraid of the results are testing…. where there is still a lack of testing is BYB and PuppyMill breeders....

• Speaking of which, Pat, I just got an email from Phil Jones today, that he just send out the bloodwork for three of his most used dogs (including his only 2 males) and will let me know as soon as he gets a result.

• @etzbseder:

Speaking of which, Pat, I just got an email from Phil Jones today, that he just send out the bloodwork for three of his most used dogs (including his only 2 males) and will let me know as soon as he gets a result.

Well that is a step in the right direction and good to hear, but should be anything and all dogs/bitches used for breeding even one time…. hopefully he has contact all that purchased puppies from him so that they can be advised to have their pups tested...

• This is such a great tool for breeders and such wonderful info for us pet owners.
    We are lucky to live in this time…

• I have to say that that 'offa' site is addictive.:o

Another question, if I may (sorry if I've become a pain in your tail curls!:D )

My previous questions about breeders led me to the internet in search of kennels that have lines similar to Kate's and Ty's. I found many breeders that continue to breed "probably carrier" dogs. Isn't that just a genetic crap shoot?? Even when bred with a "probably clear" dog.

I realize puppymills, back yard breeders, and couture breeders will always exist to muck things up, but is there anything in the works with BCOA to remove from their breeders directory members that might be breeding irresponsibly, or not testing their breeding stock for Fanconi?

• Hey. Pat [Tanza] answered your question on page 3 of BOCA Sponsorship thread http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=3941&page=3. 🙂

Suggested Topics