• I went to drug mart and asked for glucose test strips.. i told them i was testing for sugar in the urine.. they gave me bayer clinistix.. I've heard to look for bayer diastix?? does anyone know if the clinistix test for the right thing? the bottle says "Clinistix reagent strips for urinalysis- glucose" anyone know??

• If the bottle says for urinalysis then they are the right thing, that would be for glucose

• Ok thanks- just double checking because i never heard the name clinistix before, but it says both urinalysis and glucose on it..

• and this isnt really relevant, but how do you pronounce fanconi? I've never heard anyone say it, i've just read about it.. and when talking to the vet i want to make sure i say it right 🙂

• You might want to just do the DNA test.. and then you don't have to worry about strip testing…. unless the DNA test shows affected

• tanza- I'm planning on doing the DNA test.. I just graduated from college and my full-time job doesnt start till July, so money is tight right now.. but i'm planning on doing it as soon as i start to get some income.. so until then i'm strip testing..

• I have a question about those test strips as a friend asked about them. Do they work just to indicate whether glucose is in the urine (bad thing for fanconi) or is there a level of glucose that should not be exceeded?

• @wizard:

I have a question about those test strips as a friend asked about them. Do they work just to indicate whether glucose is in the urine (bad thing for fanconi) or is there a level of glucose that should not be exceeded?

No glucose at all should be detected in a Basenji or any dog… any glucose indicates possible Fanconi for a Basenji (then verified by Blood gases) or Diabetes (then verified by blood tests), which Basenjis can get as do other dogs. There should not be glucose in the urine for any dog...

• Okay thanks for clearing that up for me - I'll pass on the info.

Suggested Topics