WANTED: R/W Female Basenji puppy/adult.

• There is currently a 4 month old trindle female at the Hillsborough Animal control, we are working on finding a home for her, or at least someone to foster her. $75, neutered. And our shelter just adopted out 3 other 4-month old tri and brindle females (probably sisters of this one) on Tuesday, the first day they were available, bedfore Don could get out there!
    Two 4-month old males in the paper today for sale too.

Tampa is a hotbed of rescue basenji activity lately.

They are raining from the skies!

• Really? WoW I'm surprised. There is some for sale in the paper too? Is there maybe a website with the classifieds in it?

• I would like to caution you about purchasing a puppy from a classified ad. If you consider doing so please become very well versed with the screening questions that Pat sent a link to at, http://www.basenji.org/learn. Also, here is an article describing the qualities of a responsible breeder, http://kineticbasenjis.tripod.com/Information/Buying_a_Basenji.html

If you are buying a puppy from a breeder, make sure it is a responsible breeder who is breeding with the best interest of the breed in mind. Also, a responsible breeder makes sure that puppies are health tested decreasing the likelihood that they will be afflicted with a genetically inherited disease, that they are well socialized so that they will be a stable well adjusted companion for you, and that they are there for you no matter what your question or if you need to return the dog.

It is sad to hear about so many basenji puppies being surrendered to shelters but they end up there because irresponsible breeders who are hoping to make a profit or wanted to show the kids the miracle of life or just thought that "fluffy was the perfect dog and wanted another just like her," didn't take responsibility for them once they were here. If they make a profit on the litter even if they surrender half the litter to a shelter, there is a good likelihood that they will breed again continuing to add to the shelter crowding problem/

• I understand what your saying and I completely agree with you. I want to make the right decision on where I get her from for sure. I pray I'll find the right responsible breeder..

• @EmC22:

I understand what your saying and I completely agree with you. I want to make the right decision on where I get her from for sure. I pray I'll find the right responsible breeder..

If you really want one right now instead of waiting for a puppy next fall, then I would strongly urge rescue. That way you are saving a life and not supporting an irresponsible breeder.

• Well I've filled an app out for BRAT. Waiting.. I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep searching though.

• Someone should also warn you that they are a lot like potato chips - once you get one, you'll want another. AND someone should have told you that as soon as you get your b, you MUST post pix.

• Laughing Thats too cute. I'm sure I will feel the same way, and knowing myself, PIX ARE A MUST AROUND HERE!! =o)

• Good luck in your seach.. if you have questions about a certain breeder, feel free to contact me privately. You can find my email contact on my website at www.tanzabasenjis.net, you will find that responsible breeders are a very closely knit group.. we all know each other!…
    And thank you for doing the research before getting a Basenji.. regardless if you get a rescue or a puppy!

• No problem Pat, I sure will. I learned it from my Dad growing up. Always research things before you go into anything! =o) I thank you for all your help. I just hope I find my special little girl =o)

• @EmC22:

No problem Pat, I sure will. I learned it from my Dad growing up. Always research things before you go into anything! =o) I thank you for all your help. I just hope I find my special little girl =o)

I am sure you will!!!

• I adopted a 6 yr old and 4 yr old father/daughter pair from a CA rescue group last year. I wanted puppies (and they did have puppies at that time) but work full time and didn't have the time to raise them up. I am so happy with the two I have. Depending on the backgroud, etc., varying ages of adults can be terrific–and usually the rescue group evaluates them and can give you some info on their behavior.

• I also forgot to mention that there are also sometimes young adults available from responsible breeders. They are often pups that didn't quite turn out to be the show prospects that they had hoped for.

• Thanks guys. I actually am willing to adopt an older pup or even an adult if I can't get a little puppy.

• You could still contact a responsible breeder. As lvoss said, sometimes they have pups that don't make it as show prospects and sometimes they have adults that have finished their show careers.

A few of us on here have show dog retirees…some consider them "golden opportunity dogs". I have 2 show retirees (Ruby & Brando - he's from Finland originally - both 3 years old)..they make great pets! 😃 😃

• I would also suggest you check to find out if there are any basenjis showing in your area.
    Go to the dog show, look at the dogs, talk to folks and get to know the basenji people in your area. It can only work for your good.
    If nothing else, they can help you get into lure coursing or rally for your basenji!
    A tired basenji is a good b!

• EmC22, i wanted to send you a private messege (actually a warning about a backyard breeder in Florida) my mother has a rescue dog that came from this woman…she spent the first 8 months of her life in a kennel with no interaction. anyway could you either enable your private messeges
    there are some really good breeders in georgia 🙂

• Sadly, folks have abused the private contacts of this forum, but if you ask admin, they might let you share.
    Good luck.

• we managed 🙂 good thing, sure enough that woman had a puppy. hard to imagine from a byb<sarcasm></sarcasm>

• Well I found a male (wanted a female but thats ok). I found him through Mibre's Basenji & Stilwater Dogos aka Las Aguas Mansas http://members.tripod.com/~dogo2 which referred me to Ahmahr Nahr (www.ahmahrnahr.com)).

He is 5 months- He has microchip, all shots, dew claws done, dewormed, comes with a new crate totally out fitted and shipped. He has a vet certificate and guarantee with contract. His parents were extensively health tested, he is potty trained and leash broken. Including crate and shipping $1500- then good for a year as his shots are all done etc. He is a son of Jake the all time basenji BIS winner and Lady.

Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Suggested Topics