• I have a quick question - since we have so many BRAT ppl I thought i might be able to get an answer.

I have my baby B and we are quite content together. However, looking another year forward I'm thinking I would like to add to our little pack, and I would really prefer adoption over buying another puppy. I however live in Switzerland, and I don't really know how feasible that is. I remember emailing BRAT about whether or not they permitted Basenjis to be adopted abroad - but I don't recall getting a response…I can completely understand the wariness of adopting a dog out to Europe but again I would rather take a dog with no home than with a pup who has a much easier chance of being placed.

As for European organizations, I know of one group in Germany that has placed Bs in the past but they have them infrequently (none as of now), since Bs are so rare and expensive here.

Any thoughts?

-Lauren, Lycia's mum

• I will post this to the BRAT board and see if they can help you.

• Thank you much Sharron!

• @Schouiffy:

I have a quick question - since we have so many BRAT ppl I thought i might be able to get an answer.

I have my baby B and we are quite content together. However, looking another year forward I'm thinking I would like to add to our little pack, and I would really prefer adoption over buying another puppy. I however live in Switzerland, and I don't really know how feasible that is. I remember emailing BRAT about whether or not they permitted Basenjis to be adopted abroad - but I don't recall getting a response…I can completely understand the wariness of adopting a dog out to Europe but again I would rather take a dog with no home than with a pup who has a much easier chance of being placed.

As for European organizations, I know of one group in Germany that has placed Bs in the past but they have them infrequently (none as of now), since Bs are so rare and expensive here.

Any thoughts?

-Lauren, Lycia's mum

You might want to try and contact Sally Wallis in the UK, Zande Basenjis (here is a link to her website http://www.zandebasenjis.com/)
    The email link to contact her is on the site. I think she might be able to help or direct you.

• Every now and again there are a few b's to adopt in France, Switzerland or Italy. Probably not as much checking dogs health than brat but still need a good home.

• Every now and again there are a few b's to adopt in France, Switzerland or Italy. Probably not as much checking dogs health than brat but still need a good home.

• Good to know. I'll keep my ears open, and Pat I'll be sure to email Sally as well. 🙂

thanks for the help guys.

• @seko:

Every now and again there are a few b's to adopt in France, Switzerland or Italy. Probably not as much checking dogs health than brat but still need a good home.

BRAT only strip tests B's for Fanconi, they do not do the DNA Fanconi test on rescues that they get (at least not at this time)…. And they do a regular Vet Exam... no other testing (obviously a cost concern).... but IMO, the DNA Fanconi test should be done

• I just got word back from the BRAT board and they stated they don't rehome b's outside the US.
    So, Sally would be the way to go.
    She is very knowledgable and helpful.
    Good luck and do keep us posted.

• Thanks for your help Sharron. I appreciate it a lot, I'm sure we will work something out. 🙂

Suggested Topics