Can someone explain to me the mixing of foods?

• I don't want to create more controversy here, but it upsets me again that another person feels attacked and like they have to meet a certain standard to be here…it reminds me of Alex's post earlier...
    "This forum was created as an informational tool and nothing more than that. Members have expressed on numerous occasions that they feel as though they have to meet a certain standard in order to join our community."
    And here it is happening again. Like I said earlier...I DO NOT think anyone is doing this intentionally, and I believe everyone is good hearted, kind, and knowledgeable. However, I think it is important to take a good look at demeanor, and make sure we are not offending people. Just food for thought.

• @MEANDI:

im in tacoma, wa its 40 min from seattle. Im pretty positive she doesn't have several dogs breeding. I dont know what the problem with having several dogs for breeding would be anyways…if they are doing it the right way, what is the problem. Now i feel like i my dog isn't up to standards with you people 😞

PLEASE…. Dont think that their is any standard that people here are holding your puppy to. People tend to get fired up about breeding when it comes to dogs like Bs. With the genetic problems that have occured in this breed people just get fired up. I want to make sure that you know, EVERYONE here loves Basenjis, that means that even if you had purchased the dog from the worst puppymill, these folks on this forum would still think your dog was amazing and worth all the love and support they could help you to give your baby. Take the fact that everyone here is working to help educate themselves and others about this amazing breed for what it is. It is never meant to be an attack. We are all so happy to welcome you to the Basenji family and want nothing more than to give you all the support and information you require.

Again.....Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on choosing to invite this great breed into your life and heart.

Oh and by the way.... I would just kill (figuratively) 🙂 to see some pictures of your little fur-baby when you get a chance. 😃

• Welcome! We at this forum have various dogs that are show dog champions, pet store dogs, shelter dogs, puppy-mill dogs, and all are loved companions so the only 'standard' is that you love your basenji and want the best for them! My 3 are rescues, and I feed dry. I mix 2 foods because as I changed from one to another I didn't like the looser stools, but found a 3/4–1/4 mix to be perfect for all 3. They seem to really like their kibble and eat enthusiastically, though they have had the same food for several years now. I also give mine vegetables, meat, a bit of whatever we eat. As someone else said, people feel very passionately about food, but as long as you feed a high quality food that agrees with your dog, and they are healthy and glossy with solid poop, you're good! Go for the best food you can afford, it will save you bet bills down the way and your dog will be healthier and feel better than if you feed a 'junk food' full of filler.

Good luck, welcome and good for you for getting all the information you can!

Anne in Tampa

Suggested Topics