Help!!! Mishka cant walk with collar on…

• When i put her collar on she lifts one leg and runs around every 5 feet she drops and scratches at collar. She cant go more than 5 feet without stopping and itching. Please help with suggestions…did all of your basenji's go through this? She is scratching herself raw under the chin. 😞

• Do you leave the collar on when she is in the house?… this is a very common problem... when they are not introduce to a collar at an early age... or sometimes.. they just hate it around the neck... She needs to wear it at home... all the time.. (well at least when you are there with her)

• This is common, both of our basenjis did this when they were puppies. We made them wear the collar all the time and eventually it stopped.

How old is your dog?

• almost 4 months old

• i took it off because she wouldnt even walk she would just sit in one stop because she would know she would always have to stop and itch

• Put it back on in the house.. 24/7.. she will get used to it… Of course show people never leave on a collar.. as it makes "marks" in the neck area... for showing.....

• ok i will…its a relief to hear she isnt the only one who is having this prob

• @MEANDI:

ok i will…its a relief to hear she isnt the only one who is having this prob

Very typically for any puppy of any breed

• @tanza:

Put it back on in the house.. 24/7.. she will get used to it… Of course show people never leave on a collar.. as it makes "marks" in the neck area... for showing.....

I am not a "show people" as I've never been in the ring, and only have the one dog that actually finished her championship, but I keep collars on my dogs 24/7.
    I used the rolled leather collars, and they don't leave any marks on the neck at all – necks are nice and smooth.

• @JazzysMom:

I am not a "show people" as I've never been in the ring, and only have the one dog that actually finished her championship, but I keep collars on my dogs 24/7.
    I used the rolled leather collars, and they don't leave any marks on the neck at all – necks are nice and smooth.

Well, really they do leave marks… but they are pretty little.... I always don't leave collars on in the house for a number of reasons... (this is after they get used to them of course)... 1. I am always afraid that they will get a mouth caught in them when playing... and 2. they will/could get hung up on something... however that said, mine are not crated, as we have a doggy room for them.. and they have a doggy door to a secure fenced yard.

Suggested Topics