• Rami is currently on Iverheart to prevent heartworm, and I noticed it has given him an upset stomach šŸ˜ž He is his normal happy self, just has some diarrhea. The vet suggested to try giving it to him with food next time, and that I can give him some Imodium, which is for humans for diarrhea. Has anyone ever tried using it for their B before, or had any experience with Iverheart?

• I give Medjai NuHeart, which I believe is the generic, and he gets along with it just fine. I have heard of people giving Pepto or Mylanta to their dogs, and it works pretty well. I would venture to guess that it's just the no food with pill part that will change it.

• If Iverheart is Ivermectin there should be a statement on the packaging somewhere about how a certain percentage, I think around 2%, experience stomach upset when using ivermectin. I found that my dogs do really well on Interceptor, no stomach upset when I use it. I do have to request the perscription from the vet and then order it because my vet doesn't routinely carry it though.

• I too have used Interceptor and Heartguard with no problems in 16+ yearsā€¦.

And I get a scrip and buy it myself at a much reduced price...

• I've always used Heartguard.

• I use interceptor as well - only during spring, summer & fall, no problems with it at all. I too have to do what lvoss does, and get the prescription as my vet doesn't carry it.

• @renaultf1:

I use interceptor as well - only during spring, summer & fall, no problems with it at all. I too have to do what lvoss does, and get the prescription as my vet doesn't carry it.

For those that only do Heartworm part of the year (and certainly there is nothing wrong with that) you do need to have a blood test to verify that they don't have heartworm each time before you re-startā€¦ or so I have been told by a number of different Vets... If you do year round, it is not necessary

• I use Sentinel for Dallas' heartworm meds & I give it monthly. He has only had 2 months so far but I have never noticed anything funny after giving it to him. I just place it in with his evening kibble & he's been fine every time.

• @tanza:

For those that only do Heartworm part of the year (and certainly there is nothing wrong with that) you do need to have a blood test to verify that they don't have heartworm each time before you re-startā€¦ or so I have been told by a number of different Vets... If you do year round, it is not necessary

Pat, you're right about needing to be re-testedā€¦for me, I'd rather pay for the test than give the medicine when they don't need it. Here in Maine, six months of the year it is winter (basically) and no mosquitos...:rolleyes:

• @Ninabeana26:

I use Sentinel for Dallas' heartworm meds & I give it monthly. He has only had 2 months so far but I have never noticed anything funny after giving it to him. I just place it in with his evening kibble & he's been fine every time.

Sentinel is actually two medications in one. It has the active ingredient for Interceptor and the active ingredient for Program. It is supposed to protect against heartworms and fleas. If you are still having problems with fleas, I would seriously consider changing to Interceptor only so you are not giving your dog an medication that is not working and then look for a more effective flea control.

Suggested Topics