• I agree that Eyes are very important to all, breeders and pet owners. And as stated hips is one time. Thyroid is also important, IMO

• Thank you you guys for the information. Im sure i speak for all of us when I say, I appreciate the input and information. Ill get that checked out and see what it will run me. I got her fanconi test ordered, should be here in 3-5 days. I also got a microchip for her too. should be here in like 10 days. but its good. slowly getting things ready and settled down so eventually she will have everything completed. Cant wait til she gets just a little older so all the tests can be completed.

• Just tried out the links on the OP and the offa one are no longer valid…maybe we can update this thread for future owners? I myself, will be going to offa to try and ascertain how to go about getting Oakley hips, elbows and thyroid done...just wondering if I need to know the offa lab info and processing fees...if my vet will even know what I'm asking when I ask him to send the results to offa? ( although my vet is also at a facility my breeder uses so I bet he will)!

• Chealsie508,
    You can get the forms on the OFA site for all three. You fill out your part (about the dog) and the Vet does his/her part. Depending on how the films are done, sometimes the owner mails them with the fee, sometimes the Vet will collect the fee with his charges and he will include and mail them. If the films are digital, the Vet sends them with the forms and the fee. The fees for each of the tests are on the OFA site also. Thyroid can only be sent to a handful of places, but they are listed on the application form also.

• Took a look at the OFFA website and want advice. Oakley is a 17month old neutered male. This has nothing to do with money but more weighing my options…is it worth getting hips and elbows done when 1: he will need to be sedated and 2: according to the OFFA statistics for basenjis on both hips and elbows seem to show little incidence of abnormal hips or elbows? I know the results are probably more complicated than what I see when I look...I just want opinions on if "you" would get hips, elbows done on your companion pup when there is some level of risk involved.
    Fanconi test is here and being sent out and thyroid for me is a no brainer, he'll be getting that done the end of the year (after his birthday) and he already had an opthamoligist check his eyes.
    I also do take into consideration the benefit to the breed/breeder of doing the tests

• Perm records for hips/elbows are after 2yrs of age, so Oakley is too young. Some do Prelims but that is usually in the case of a male that is going to be used at stud before 2yrs. Keep in mind for hip and/or elbow results that unlike Fanconi testing it is Optional to post the results if they are not Excellent, Good or Fair - Owner option.. same with Thyroid. There is a place on the forms to mark if you want the results posted regardless of the outcome. Many people DO NOT CHECK this box… therefore if the dog is dysplastic, the results are not shown. So read that into the results.... and I know of Dysplastic Basenjis that are NOT in the data base.

That said, hips are not a huge concern as in other breeds, but there are problems out there....

IMO, I would have the hips done... elbows, would not worry about that too much...

Sedated? Depends on your Vet... some Vets will do without, some will not do hips without. My two girls were just done, both without, we have a mobile Vet that does testing and they go to most all the shows, makes it really easy and no sedation. I have had both ways done on my Basenjis over the years.

Suggested Topics