• I think the problem is the context of the video. If this was someone who had a basenji that had issues and they were trying to work on those issues, and videotaped it to share their problems so other basenji owners could learn from it/give advice, that would be one thing. This guy, whether he himself gave the dog reason to behave this way towards him or not, is obviously antagonizing the dog (repeatedly) to make fun of him, and to parody Steve Irwin, who probably didn't think he was antagonizing animals either.

I have heard a noise similar to this come out of my dog. He has a preference towards women; we don't know why- we haven't abused him or given him any reason to not like men, nor did our close friends who we got him from. But they had situations with him where under certain circumstances, Tana would be very aggressive towards the husband and he would back off. Tana has growled at my boyfriend (we live together, have since we got Tana two and a half years ago, so he's not new in my life or anything) several times like that before, and rarely at me. Tana is very protective of his kennel- that's HIS space and he doesn't like it if you invade it. He reacts much worse to my boyfriend getting him out of there than me. We have learned to just make a conscious effort to either avoid being in a situation where we have to pull him out of his kennel or do so in a positive manner.

I suspect that his issues stem from his breeder and life as a puppy. From our friend's account, she didn't seem to be a good breeder and Tana came to them as a puppy with a broken tail- another "sore spot" for him (literally!)- he REALLY doesn't like his tail touched and that's another time he's made that noise before, when we or someone else (i.e., vet's office, if I forget to warn them) has inadvertently touched his tail too roughly.

All of this being said, the Pug bowling video - now that's canine comedy. 😃

[yt]zcKOQrz19Yg[/yt]

• @LSanders:

I think the problem is the context of the video. If this was someone who had a basenji that had issues and they were trying to work on those issues, and videotaped it to share their problems so other basenji owners could learn from it/give advice, that would be one thing. This guy, whether he himself gave the dog reason to behave this way towards him or not, is obviously antagonizing the dog (repeatedly) to make fun of him, and to parody Steve Irwin, who probably didn't think he was antagonizing animals either.

I have heard a noise similar to this come out of my dog. He has a preference towards women; we don't know why- we haven't abused him or given him any reason to not like men, nor did our close friends who we got him from. But they had situations with him where under certain circumstances, Tana would be very aggressive towards the husband and he would back off. Tana has growled at my boyfriend (we live together, have since we got Tana two and a half years ago, so he's not new in my life or anything) several times like that before, and rarely at me. Tana is very protective of his kennel- that's HIS space and he doesn't like it if you invade it. He reacts much worse to my boyfriend getting him out of there than me. We have learned to just make a conscious effort to either avoid being in a situation where we have to pull him out of his kennel or do so in a positive manner.

I suspect that his issues stem from his breeder and life as a puppy. From our friend's account, she didn't seem to be a good breeder and Tana came to them as a puppy with a broken tail- another "sore spot" for him (literally!)- he REALLY doesn't like his tail touched and that's another time he's made that noise before, when we or someone else (i.e., vet's office, if I forget to warn them) has inadvertently touched his tail too roughly.

All of this being said, the Pug Bowling video- now that's canine comedy. 😃

I don't agree… I find nothing helpful about that Video...... for any dog owner...

As far as your boy... sounds exactly as you describe... not a very good breeder and you are doing what is necessary to make all situations work for you and your home/family...

• Tanza, I think Lsanders tried to say if this video was made differently and actually taught how to deal with this type of behaviour instead of making fun of it, it could be helpfull to others.

I think enough has been said about this video, time to move on.

• @Alex:

Tanza, I think Lsanders tried to say if this video was made differently and actually taught how to deal with this type of behaviour instead of making fun of it, it could be helpfull to others.

I think enough has been said about this video, time to move on.

Of course… and you might say that...

However... what Lsanders said about their own B... is very telling to all on this forum... and they way that they are dealing with the effects of a not so responsible breeder.

• I agree, Lsanders thank you for sharing that.

Suggested Topics