• I would love to give Cory and Jayden bully sticks to see how they like them but the website bullysticksonline seems to deal only with large quantities. I'd like to have them try at least one before I buy in bulk. I haven't seen them locally. Suggestions?

Meanwhile, here is a thought for you to wrap your brains around: I went on Amazon to see what they had and, of course, there was a "new or used" price link. The mental picture of getting a box of "used" bully sticks immediately popped into my head! :eek:

Pat

• Ewww, used bully sticks, ick!

The first time we gave her a bone after we brought Fiji home and she devoured it in minutes (not a scrap left) it freaked me out. Basenjis aren't exactly like other dogs, are they? 😉 My DH bought a bully for Fiji while I was out of town and it's the first thing she ever spent more than a day chewing - she loved it. I've never seen her spend more than an hour on any other chew.

• @gbroxon:

Wow! The ones I buy are at least 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter and 12 inches in length. One 12-incher lasts Magnum several days of frequent gnawing. Even my Rottweiler (RIP, Brutus My Boy) couldn't get through one in a day. IMO, good, thick bullysticks are the best!

I don't usually spend too much of any chew - unless I know it will last a long time. Haven't seen a bully stick that thick - the ones I buy at Pet Food & More are only about 1/2 inch thick, 12" long and around $3 each. I imagine the fat ones are about $10 each??? Pricey - I might try it if I see ones like that. Thanks for the info. 🙂

• @BasenjiDiva:

I would love to give Cory and Jayden bully sticks to see how they like them but the website bullysticksonline seems to deal only with large quantities. I'd like to have them try at least one before I buy in bulk. I haven't seen them locally. Suggestions?

Pat

I got mine at www.bestbullysticks.com and have been really happy with them..

They are really cheap compared to local stores and you dont have to buy in bulk (but since I had to pay shipping i got a ton) but like 2 dollars for a 12 in thick one.. which I cut in half and give 6inches to each dog.. and on the website it says the are from free range cattle (it says what country but i forget) I even called to verify that.. when i opened up the bag of 30 bully sticks it did smell (and I was mad bc it said very little odor) but when I took them out individually and they actually chew them I have not been able to smell any odor.. I think it was just all of them together in a zip lock bag, I opened it and released all the smells!

My dogs go crazy over them.. so crazy it actually gets annoying sometimes! my boy will go to the door where i keep them and look at me and howl and jump up and down..

• I used to cut them into 6 inch lengths, but I take away that last 2 inches, so they don't swallow it, and realized that by leaving them in 12 inch lengths, I didn't waste as much. I get them at PetSmart sometimes, they have a 36 inch for about 12 dollars, that's $4 per 12 inch length, after we cut them with pruning cutters. I gave out 4 to my 3 dogs (always an extra when Ed hoards 2) and they were so tired from dogpark they barely chewed before passing out

Anne

• That's a good site, by the way! Great to know where to get them in a reasonable volume!

Anne

• I go a different direction.
    I go to the meat section and ask them to cut a beef leg into 1 1/2 inch sections.
    I take it home, freeze it and give the dogs one each a day, frozen.
    It takes them at least an hour to get the marrow out, its doesn't stink at all and it cost about $4.00 for 4-6 sections.
    This is the marrow bone, and this is what I do in my house.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I go a different direction.
    I go to the meat section and ask them to cut a beef leg into 1 1/2 inch sections.
    It takes them at least an hour to get the marrow out, its doesn't stink at all and it cost about $4.00 for 4-6 sections.

I do the same thing…I buy a week's supply, dig out most of the marrow and freeze them. I give Ruby & Brando one every morning in their crate when I leave for work. Ruby doesn't even watch me head for the door and she immediately digs in :D...and that is HUGE because she is somewhat crate phobic. Brando loves the bones as well, but he still cries a bit when I leave...but that is getting better and usually stops by the time I get to the bottom of the stairs.

I only give bullysticks when I'm around because Brando would finish it off during the course of the day and I like to throw them out when there is only about 2-3inches left as I'm afraid he could choke on it.

• You can buy single bully sticks from dog.com.
    I usually get pizzle sticks (also tendons) because they're a little smaller diameter and don't cost as much.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Any problem with the bones splintering?

Pat

• @sharronhurlbut:

Sharron- Do they just eat the marrow or the whole bone? Do you know if there is any other "parts"" that you can get from the butcher? And when you say meat section, are you talking at the grocery store or at a butcher? Can marrow make runny poop or upset tummys?

• @BasenjiDiva:

Any problem with the bones splintering?

Pat

I've never had any problem with the bones splintering…I have noticed that they wear the bone down pretty well though. I scrape out most of the marrow only because I've read that it is really fatty so they only get a little taste of that. The bones still really hold their interest even w/out the marrow.

• I get my bones at Red Apple grocery story.
    I think you can call any meat department and ask for them.
    My 2 have never had a issue with the bones splintering.
    Also, you can ask for a knuckle bone, they are pretty large for a b, but they can cut them into pieces for you.
    I find them to be a bit more messy, but the dogs do clean up the area well.
    Call your meat dept and ask about dog bones.

• I get my bones at Red Apple grocery story.
    I think you can call any meat department and ask for them.
    My 2 have never had a issue with the bones splintering.
    Also, you can ask for a knuckle bone, they are pretty large for a b, but they can cut them into pieces for you.
    I find them to be a bit more messy, but the dogs do clean up the area well.
    Call your meat dept and ask about dog bones.

• Oh, a second post..sorry about that.

• I went to Publix this afternoon and the butcher told me that they frequentlly get a bag of already cut marrow bones - 1 to 1 1/2 inches. It cost me only $1.95 for 5 frozen bones. I am anxious to try them out on Cory and Jayden. They are going to think they died and went to heaven!!!

Pat

• Great, now a tip, give the b's the bones frozen.
    Also, if you don't crate your dogs for treats I don't make sure you have a towel over the couch, if that is where they chose to chew.
    The bones do bleed a bit, but a towel will take care of that.
    If they use the floor use some proxide on the floor, it will break up any "mess" that is left, but is very little.
    Let me know how they like it.
    Oh, you can also restuff the bones and freeze them for crate treats.

Suggested Topics